Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drill press aggravation fixed

The second big power tool I bought years ago was a floor drill press. Its been ever faithful and still does the job. But two things about the drill press that have always aggravated me: 1) chip collection and 2) track mounted hold down clamps.

For chip collection, I have tried all manner of hoses connected to holders, fences, etc. The problem is that a drill press presents an infinite challenge in terms of hose locations, type bit used, shape of the work being drilled, etc. I asked Leon what he does. He said he just has his wife hold the vacuum hose. The only thing that works consistently for me is to hold a vacuum hose crevice nozzle near the drill bit. But that is only possible if you have a cooperative partner, or your work is so securely clamped that you can operate the drill press with one hand.

I built a decent drill press table with tracks years ago and I have tried many styles of track clamps. They all worked well some of the time. But there are those occasions where the clamp is not tall enough, or the track is in the wrong position. Also, the setup time was aggravating.

I finally came up with an idea, triggered while drilling more dog holes in my workbench. I love Leevalley dog hole hold down clamps. Why not see if they will work on the drill press? So I drilled 8 dog holes in the front edge of my drill press table. Voila! They are super strong clamps, fast to set up and do not ever interfere with the drill press handle. They are expensive and not for everyone. But I am very happy with the solution.

Here's a link to a photo of the setup.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Gor...-_Crystal_Lake

Bob
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/24/2021 5:47 PM, Bob D wrote:
[...]

Pretty cool!

Dust collection. On the DP, that is tough but I believe, Scott Lurndal
bought an accordion like tube that fits around the quill and bit and
attaches to a vac. Sorry Scott if you were not the guy. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 3/24/2021 5:47 PM, Bob D wrote:
[...]

Not I, but sounds a bit interesting. The DP is one of the few
machines I have with no dust collection.

For the SCMS, I attached a horizontal sheet of 3/8" ply to
the back of the SCMS stand, level with the surface of the stand
and embedded one of the 18" x 12" dust hoods with the outlet
facing the floor (and attached to the DC via 4" hose). Used
a cardboard box (as it happens, from an HP workstation) to create
a box behind the saw over the hood. Does a good job of collecting
the dust from the SCMS.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 09:11:15 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/24/2021 5:47 PM, Bob D wrote:
[...]

I've looked at things like the below but haven't found that DPs are
that messy. I would like dust collection for the DP when I drill
metal. I don't wand those shavings getting into my woodworking.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 3/24/2021 5:47 PM, Bob D wrote:
[...]

Sorry:
https://www.ptreeusa.com/dust_drill_press.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 6:47:09 PM UTC-4, Bob D wrote:
[...]

Here's my DIY DP table and DC holder. The DC works pretty good, but sometimes it does get in the way,
mainly the section that clamps on the shaft. Holding the hose does indeed work well ;-)

The hold downs are made from some left over aluminum and Plasti-Dip.

https://i.imgur.com/gRhOIFa.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 3/24/2021 5:47 PM, Bob D wrote:
[...]

Because I build a lot of doors, and hang them with Euro style hinges I
drill hundreds of 35mm/1-3/8" 1/2" x deep holes. I have to vacuum with
each hole. Otherwise, not so much.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 10:20:37 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 3/25/2021 8:37 PM, wrote:
Snip

Dust collection. On the DP, that is tough but I believe, Scott Lurndal
bought an accordion like tube that fits around the quill and bit and
attaches to a vac. Sorry Scott if you were not the guy. ;~)

I've looked at things like the below but haven't found that DPs are
that messy. I would like dust collection for the DP when I drill
metal. I don't wand those shavings getting into my woodworking.

Sorry:
https://www.ptreeusa.com/dust_drill_press.html

Here we go, this is the quill mounted DC attachment. It is called the
Drillnado.

https://www.infinitytools.com/drilln...kaAis6EALw_wcB

This guy is not overly thrilled, but gives it a passing grade:

https://youtu.be/pXVVBq29agk

In my case, I have less than an inch between the top of my keyless chuck
and the head. It looks like the clamp portion that mounts on quill is taller
than 1". I think that means that the quill will never fully return home. I don't
know if that will be an issue, other than losing a small amount of drilling depth.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 8:37:15 PM UTC-5, wrote:

https://www.ptreeusa.com/dust_drill_press.html

Been there, done that. It was mediocre to poor for many of the jobs I tried. I finally threw it away.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 5:26:52 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

This guy is not overly thrilled, but gives it a passing grade:

https://youtu.be/pXVVBq29agk

Interesting unvarnished demo. Its definitely a lot of crap to put around the drill bit for iffy performance.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 8:27:14 PM UTC-4, Bob D wrote:
On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 5:26:52 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

This guy is not overly thrilled, but gives it a passing grade:

https://youtu.be/pXVVBq29agk

Interesting unvarnished demo. Its definitely a lot of crap to put around the drill bit for iffy performance.

....and the website says not to use it for metal.

Warning:
NOT to be used when cutting metal
Metal shavings will damage a dust collector's impeller
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 09:20:28 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/25/2021 8:37 PM, wrote:
Snip

Dust collection. On the DP, that is tough but I believe, Scott Lurndal
bought an accordion like tube that fits around the quill and bit and
attaches to a vac. Sorry Scott if you were not the guy. ;~)

I've looked at things like the below but haven't found that DPs are
that messy. I would like dust collection for the DP when I drill
metal. I don't wand those shavings getting into my woodworking.

Sorry:
https://www.ptreeusa.com/dust_drill_press.html

Here we go, this is the quill mounted DC attachment. It is called the
Drillnado.

https://www.infinitytools.com/drilln...kaAis6EALw_wcB

I've seen that. It looks like it would seriously get in the way.

Have you seen/used Festool's similar widget for hand drills?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/26/2021 8:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 8:27:14 PM UTC-4, Bob D wrote:
On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 5:26:52 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

This guy is not overly thrilled, but gives it a passing grade:

https://youtu.be/pXVVBq29agk

Interesting unvarnished demo. Its definitely a lot of crap to put around the drill bit for iffy performance.

...and the website says not to use it for metal.

Warning:
NOT to be used when cutting metal
Metal shavings will damage a dust collector's impeller

Kind of a reminder to not suck up metal regardless.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/26/2021 5:26 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 10:20:37 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 3/25/2021 8:37 PM, wrote:
Snip

[...]

Lome of my cabinet doors are made from MDF. Drilling for Euro hinges
would certainly be problematic. The shavings tend to come out as one
piece and would clog the exit port.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 10:30:29 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/26/2021 8:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 8:27:14 PM UTC-4, Bob D wrote:
On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 5:26:52 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

This guy is not overly thrilled, but gives it a passing grade:

https://youtu.be/pXVVBq29agk
Interesting unvarnished demo. Its definitely a lot of crap to put around the drill bit for iffy performance.

...and the website says not to use it for metal.

Warning:
NOT to be used when cutting metal
Metal shavings will damage a dust collector's impeller

Kind of a reminder to not suck up metal regardless.

Use a shop vac? The higher suction/velocity should be better than a
DC anyway. A DC is going to be useless with a very small aperture.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:
On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 8:27:14 PM UTC-4, Bob D wrote:
On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 5:26:52 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

This guy is not overly thrilled, but gives it a passing grade:

https://youtu.be/pXVVBq29agk

Interesting unvarnished demo. Its definitely a lot of crap to put around the drill bit for iffy performance.

...and the website says not to use it for metal.

Warning:
NOT to be used when cutting metal
Metal shavings will damage a dust collector's impeller

Not to mention that hot metal fragments and sawdust don't
go well together...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 10:31:21 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/26/2021 10:23 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 09:20:28 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/25/2021 8:37 PM,
wrote:
Snip

Dust collection. On the DP, that is tough but I believe, Scott Lurndal
bought an accordion like tube that fits around the quill and bit and
attaches to a vac. Sorry Scott if you were not the guy. ;~)

I've looked at things like the below but haven't found that DPs are
that messy. I would like dust collection for the DP when I drill
metal. I don't wand those shavings getting into my woodworking.

Sorry:
https://www.ptreeusa.com/dust_drill_press.html

Here we go, this is the quill mounted DC attachment. It is called the
Drillnado.

https://www.infinitytools.com/drilln...kaAis6EALw_wcB

I've seen that. It looks like it would seriously get in the way.

Have you seen/used Festool's similar widget for hand drills?

No, how much is it? LOL

$23. I think it's meant for installers hanging cabinets and such.
Fesstool's big thing is dist collection.

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/festool-drilling-dust-nozzle.aspx
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 16:40:15 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

DerbyDad03 writes:
On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 8:27:14 PM UTC-4, Bob D wrote:
On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 5:26:52 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

This guy is not overly thrilled, but gives it a passing grade:

https://youtu.be/pXVVBq29agk
Interesting unvarnished demo. Its definitely a lot of crap to put around the drill bit for iffy performance.

...and the website says not to use it for metal.

Warning:
NOT to be used when cutting metal
Metal shavings will damage a dust collector's impeller

Not to mention that hot metal fragments and sawdust don't
go well together...

If your metal fragments are getting that hot, you need sharper bits.
....or maybe that's why they're so dull.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2021 11:40 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 10:31:21 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/26/2021 10:23 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 09:20:28 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/25/2021 8:37 PM,
wrote:
Snip

[...]

I have not seen that!!! And while we are at it, what kind of Festool
drill is he using???

I have seen a similar Festool device that is similar for holding up
crown molding on one end.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 13:18:23 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/27/2021 11:40 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 10:31:21 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/26/2021 10:23 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 09:20:28 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/25/2021 8:37 PM,
wrote:
Snip

[...]

No idea but it looks clunky to me.

I have seen a similar Festool device that is similar for holding up
crown molding on one end.

It's good for holding a level too. Great for hanging pictures.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 8:25:34 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 8:27:14 PM UTC-4, Bob D wrote:
On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 5:26:52 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

This guy is not overly thrilled, but gives it a passing grade:

https://youtu.be/pXVVBq29agk

Interesting unvarnished demo. Its definitely a lot of crap to put around the drill bit for iffy performance.

...and the website says not to use it for metal.

Warning:
NOT to be used when cutting metal
Metal shavings will damage a dust collector's impeller

When I look at the heft of my DC impeller, I have a hard time believing that metal shavings are going to do much to harm it, especially considering the cyclone installed upstream.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, March 27, 2021 at 11:40:19 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:
On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 8:27:14 PM UTC-4, Bob D wrote:
On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 5:26:52 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

This guy is not overly thrilled, but gives it a passing grade:

https://youtu.be/pXVVBq29agk
Interesting unvarnished demo. Its definitely a lot of crap to put around the drill bit for iffy performance.

...and the website says not to use it for metal.

Warning:
NOT to be used when cutting metal
Metal shavings will damage a dust collector's impeller

Not to mention that hot metal fragments and sawdust don't
go well together...

I don't think they are going to be very hot by the time travel in an air stream to the vacuum cannister.