Old February 21st 21, 12:03 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default How about those add-on Wixey height gauges

A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be really nice if its repeatable. Wixey makes add-on guages for both applications. Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

Old February 21st 21, 12:08 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be really nice if its repeatable. Wixey makes add-on guages for both applications. Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

I put one on my 15" Delta planer 10+ years ago.. Fit is crotchety and
would get hung up.
I would not buy another one of those.

I am looking closely at the Wixey remote digital readout however and may
get one for my new
jointer/planer.

I would rather have a mechanical gauge. They attach to the elevation
crank wheel rod. It counts revolutions and parts of a revolution.

There is one offered for my model in Europe but I would want imperial vs
metric.
Old February 21st 21, 02:49 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 17:08:28 -0600, Leon [email protected]otnet
wrote:

On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be really nice if its repeatable. Wixey makes add-on guages for both applications. Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

I put one on my 15" Delta planer 10+ years ago.. Fit is crotchety and
would get hung up.
I would not buy another one of those.

I am looking closely at the Wixey remote digital readout however and may
get one for my new
jointer/planer.

I would rather have a mechanical gauge. They attach to the elevation
crank wheel rod. It counts revolutions and parts of a revolution.

There is one offered for my model in Europe but I would want imperial vs
metric.

I had a few of the Wixey readouts. The one that was really slick was
the TS gauge. Unfortunately, all Wixey stuff is crap. They burn
though batteries so fast the battery is dead every time I want to use
the readout and they're built like crap. My TS readout failed, which
Wixey replaced once and it failed again. I replaced the readout and
it too failed. Poor mechanical design with crappy electronics made
with cheap plastic. A real winning combination. Nice idea, very poor
implementation.
Old February 21st 21, 06:08 AM posted to rec.woodworking

The top dog is: https://www.starrett.com

Old February 21st 21, 02:54 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2021 6:08 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be
really nice if its repeatable.* Wixey makes add-on guages for both
applications.* Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

I put one on my 15" Delta planer 10+ years ago..* Fit is crotchety and
would get hung up.
I would not buy another one of those.

I am looking closely at the Wixey remote digital readout however and may
get one for my new
jointer/planer.

I would rather have a mechanical gauge.* They attach to the elevation
crank wheel rod.* It counts revolutions and parts of a revolution.

There is one offered for my model in Europe but I would want imperial vs
metric.

My planer, like all planers I guess, has a built in mechanical gauge. I
never use it. If I want to plane something to an exact size, say 3/8",
I grab a 3/8" open end wrench and use that to check things. Works
pretty good. I also use wrenches on my lathe if turning a tenon to an
exact size.

--
Jack

Old February 21st 21, 06:36 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/21/2021 7:54 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/20/2021 6:08 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
[...]

The issue with some larger planers with the ribbed steel in feed rollers
is that they leave impressions in the wood if the planer is only
removing a slight amount of material.

The easy fix is to not take a very light pass on the final pass. On
these planers you need to remove enough material to also remove those
impressions.

With a digital meter you can get relatively close but not so close that
you do not cut deep enough to remove the impressions on the final pass.
I have heard of this being an issue decades ago and my 15" Delta and
new Jet jointer/planer also have this issue.

I think some people have tried adjusting the ribbed in feed roller for
less pressure however wood was not adequately pushed into the cutters,
past the cutters, and on to the out feed roller.
Old February 21st 21, 07:40 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be
really nice if its repeatable.* Wixey makes add-on guages for both
applications.* Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

I put one on my 15" Delta planer 10+ years ago..* Fit is crotchety and
would get hung up.
I would not buy another one of those.

I am looking closely at the Wixey remote digital readout however and
may get one for my new
jointer/planer.

I would rather have a mechanical gauge.* They attach to the elevation
crank wheel rod.* It counts revolutions and parts of a revolution.

There is one offered for my model in Europe but I would want imperial
vs metric.

The top dog is:*** https://www.starrett.com

But I do not see that Starrett offers this type device.

And unfortunately one needs to be able to adjust the planer
correctly/accurately before making the last pass.
Old February 21st 21, 07:43 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be really nice if its repeatable. Wixey makes add-on guages for both applications. Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

Another alternative.

https://www.igagingstore.com/12-Abso...S-p/205480.htm
Old February 21st 21, 11:39 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be really nice
if its repeatable.* Wixey makes add-on guages for both applications.* Does
anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

I put one on my 15" Delta planer 10+ years ago..* Fit is crotchety and would get
hung up.
I would not buy another one of those.

I am looking closely at the Wixey remote digital readout however and may get one
for my new
jointer/planer.

I would rather have a mechanical gauge.* They attach to the elevation crank
wheel rod.* It counts revolutions and parts of a revolution.

Backlash? Stiction? I'd rather measure the business end than somewhere
between the hand and the tool. Power tool gearboxes (other than CNC,
obviously) just aren't designed for precision.

There is one offered for my model in Europe but I would want imperial vs metric.

The top dog is: https://www.starrett.com

Maybe I'm blind but I don't see the equivalent of the Wixey tools. I
might go that way if they did, though Starrett is way overpriced for
woodworking.
Old February 22nd 21, 01:50 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, February 21, 2021 at 12:43:38 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be really nice if its repeatable. Wixey makes add-on guages for both applications. Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

Another alternative.

https://www.igagingstore.com/12-Abso...S-p/205480.htm

Interesting, but... here is the warranty statement on their website:

"This site and the materials and products on this site are provided "as is" and without warranties of any kind"

Height Gauges Denis M Woodworking 0 January 7th 11 05:06 PM
Installing a Wixey Planer Height Guage [email protected] Woodworking 4 March 2nd 10 01:37 AM
Next planer upgrade, installed a Wixey digital height gauge (w/pics) David F. Eisan Woodworking 11 December 14th 06 02:41 AM
Wixey Digital Angle Gauge Tom Woodworking 8 November 4th 06 10:49 PM
Wixey Digital Readout For Planer [email protected] Woodworking 5 October 23rd 05 08:39 PM