DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How about those add-on Wixey height gauges (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/685091-how-about-those-add-wixey-height-gauges.html)

Bob D[_2_] February 21st 21 12:03 AM

How about those add-on Wixey height gauges

A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be really nice if its repeatable. Wixey makes add-on guages for both applications. Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

Leon[_7_] February 21st 21 12:08 AM

On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be really nice if its repeatable. Wixey makes add-on guages for both applications. Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

I put one on my 15" Delta planer 10+ years ago.. Fit is crotchety and
would get hung up.
I would not buy another one of those.

I am looking closely at the Wixey remote digital readout however and may
get one for my new
jointer/planer.

I would rather have a mechanical gauge. They attach to the elevation
crank wheel rod. It counts revolutions and parts of a revolution.

There is one offered for my model in Europe but I would want imperial vs
metric.

[email protected] February 21st 21 02:49 AM

How about those add-on Wixey height gauges

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 17:08:28 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be really nice if its repeatable. Wixey makes add-on guages for both applications. Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

I put one on my 15" Delta planer 10+ years ago.. Fit is crotchety and
would get hung up.
I would not buy another one of those.

I am looking closely at the Wixey remote digital readout however and may
get one for my new
jointer/planer.

I would rather have a mechanical gauge. They attach to the elevation
crank wheel rod. It counts revolutions and parts of a revolution.

There is one offered for my model in Europe but I would want imperial vs
metric.

I had a few of the Wixey readouts. The one that was really slick was
the TS gauge. Unfortunately, all Wixey stuff is crap. They burn
though batteries so fast the battery is dead every time I want to use
the readout and they're built like crap. My TS readout failed, which
Wixey replaced once and it failed again. I replaced the readout and
it too failed. Poor mechanical design with crappy electronics made
with cheap plastic. A real winning combination. Nice idea, very poor
implementation.

gray_wolf February 21st 21 06:08 AM

On 20/02/2021 5:08 pm, Leon wrote:
On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be really nice
if its repeatable.Â* Wixey makes add-on guages for both applications.Â* Does
anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

I put one on my 15" Delta planer 10+ years ago..Â* Fit is crotchety and would get
hung up.
I would not buy another one of those.

I am looking closely at the Wixey remote digital readout however and may get one
for my new
jointer/planer.

I would rather have a mechanical gauge.Â* They attach to the elevation crank
wheel rod.Â* It counts revolutions and parts of a revolution.

There is one offered for my model in Europe but I would want imperial vs metric.

The top dog is: https://www.starrett.com

Jack February 21st 21 02:54 PM

On 2/20/2021 6:08 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be
really nice if its repeatable.Â* Wixey makes add-on guages for both
applications.Â* Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

I put one on my 15" Delta planer 10+ years ago..Â* Fit is crotchety and
would get hung up.
I would not buy another one of those.

I am looking closely at the Wixey remote digital readout however and may
get one for my new
jointer/planer.

I would rather have a mechanical gauge.Â* They attach to the elevation
crank wheel rod.Â* It counts revolutions and parts of a revolution.

There is one offered for my model in Europe but I would want imperial vs
metric.

My planer, like all planers I guess, has a built in mechanical gauge. I
never use it. If I want to plane something to an exact size, say 3/8",
I grab a 3/8" open end wrench and use that to check things. Works
pretty good. I also use wrenches on my lathe if turning a tenon to an
exact size.

--
Jack

Leon[_7_] February 21st 21 06:36 PM

On 2/21/2021 7:54 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/20/2021 6:08 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be
really nice if its repeatable.Â* Wixey makes add-on guages for both
applications.Â* Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

I put one on my 15" Delta planer 10+ years ago..Â* Fit is crotchety and
would get hung up.
I would not buy another one of those.

I am looking closely at the Wixey remote digital readout however and
may get one for my new
jointer/planer.

I would rather have a mechanical gauge.Â* They attach to the elevation
crank wheel rod.Â* It counts revolutions and parts of a revolution.

There is one offered for my model in Europe but I would want imperial
vs metric.

My planer, like all planers I guess, has a built in mechanical gauge.Â* I
never use it.Â* If I want to plane something to an exact size, say 3/8",
I grab a 3/8" open end wrench and use that to check things.Â* Works
pretty good. I also use wrenches on my lathe if turning a tenon to an
exact size.

The issue with some larger planers with the ribbed steel in feed rollers
is that they leave impressions in the wood if the planer is only
removing a slight amount of material.

The easy fix is to not take a very light pass on the final pass. On
these planers you need to remove enough material to also remove those
impressions.

With a digital meter you can get relatively close but not so close that
you do not cut deep enough to remove the impressions on the final pass.
I have heard of this being an issue decades ago and my 15" Delta and
new Jet jointer/planer also have this issue.

I think some people have tried adjusting the ribbed in feed roller for
less pressure however wood was not adequately pushed into the cutters,
past the cutters, and on to the out feed roller.

Leon[_7_] February 21st 21 07:40 PM

On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be
really nice if its repeatable.Â* Wixey makes add-on guages for both
applications.Â* Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

I put one on my 15" Delta planer 10+ years ago..Â* Fit is crotchety and
would get hung up.
I would not buy another one of those.

I am looking closely at the Wixey remote digital readout however and
may get one for my new
jointer/planer.

I would rather have a mechanical gauge.Â* They attach to the elevation
crank wheel rod.Â* It counts revolutions and parts of a revolution.

There is one offered for my model in Europe but I would want imperial
vs metric.

The top dog is:Â*Â*Â* https://www.starrett.com

But I do not see that Starrett offers this type device.

And unfortunately one needs to be able to adjust the planer
correctly/accurately before making the last pass.

Leon[_7_] February 21st 21 07:43 PM

On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be really nice if its repeatable. Wixey makes add-on guages for both applications. Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

Another alternative.

https://www.igagingstore.com/12-Abso...S-p/205480.htm

[email protected] February 21st 21 11:39 PM

How about those add-on Wixey height gauges

On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be really nice
if its repeatable.* Wixey makes add-on guages for both applications.* Does
anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

I put one on my 15" Delta planer 10+ years ago..* Fit is crotchety and would get
hung up.
I would not buy another one of those.

I am looking closely at the Wixey remote digital readout however and may get one
for my new
jointer/planer.

I would rather have a mechanical gauge.* They attach to the elevation crank
wheel rod.* It counts revolutions and parts of a revolution.

Backlash? Stiction? I'd rather measure the business end than somewhere
between the hand and the tool. Power tool gearboxes (other than CNC,
obviously) just aren't designed for precision.

There is one offered for my model in Europe but I would want imperial vs metric.

The top dog is: https://www.starrett.com

Maybe I'm blind but I don't see the equivalent of the Wixey tools. I
might go that way if they did, though Starrett is way overpriced for
woodworking.

Bob D[_2_] February 22nd 21 01:50 AM

On Sunday, February 21, 2021 at 12:43:38 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be really nice if its repeatable. Wixey makes add-on guages for both applications. Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

Another alternative.

https://www.igagingstore.com/12-Abso...S-p/205480.htm

Interesting, but... here is the warranty statement on their website:

"This site and the materials and products on this site are provided "as is" and without warranties of any kind"

Bob La Londe[_7_] February 23rd 21 04:38 PM

On 2/20/2021 4:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be

really nice if its repeatable. Wixey makes add-on guages for both
applications. Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

I never heard of Wixey, but I do have a couple height gages I use in the
shop all the time. One is a digital I use for measuring the tool height
of end mills and drills in tool holders so I can enter the length in the
tool height table on my CNC mills. It consistently and easily gets me
within half a thousandth without even trying. The other is an analog
with a dial I use for most often on the granite surface plate for
accurately scribing lines on steel with a carbide scribe. Its probably
within a thousandth for that, and better for other things.

The key is to make sure the base is on the primary reference surface,
and that you zero to your height reference before measuring. On table
saw or router that would like by the main table top for both.

--
Bob La Londe

https://www.avg.com

Jack February 23rd 21 04:44 PM

On 2/21/2021 12:36 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/21/2021 7:54 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/20/2021 6:08 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
[...]

is that they leaveÂ* impressions in the wood if the planer is only
removing a slight amount of material.

The easy fix is to not take a very light pass on the final pass.Â* On
these planers you need to remove enough material to also remove those
impressions.

With a digital meter you can get relatively close but not so close that
you do not cut deep enough to remove the impressions on the final pass.
Â*I have heard of this being an issue decades ago and my 15" Delta and
new Jet jointer/planer also have this issue.

I think some people have tried adjusting the ribbed in feed roller for
less pressure however wood was not adequately pushed into the cutters,
past the cutters, and on to the out feed roller.

That's exactly what I did. No impressions on hard wood, and very little
on softwoods, but softwoods sand out easily.

--
Jack

Jack February 23rd 21 05:01 PM

On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be really nice if its repeatable. Wixey makes add-on guages for both applications. Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

Another alternative.

https://www.igagingstore.com/12-Abso...S-p/205480.htm

Interesting, but... here is the warranty statement on their website:

"This site and the materials and products on this site are provided "as is" and without warranties of any kind"

At least they're honest. I hate trying to get a warranty replacement
and they start by putting you on hold with horrendous loud tiny music
for an hour, then a non-english speaking clown gets on asking for
receipts and all that rot.

Anyhow, I do have a Wixy angle gauge. I though it would be good for
checking for 90 degrees, and maybe setting up some angles on things.
Works OK but the first thing I did is check all my tools for 90 degrees.
All were already within the margin of error of the gauge. Next, I
found out the battery went dead just sitting there (I seldom use it.)
Now, I take the battery out of it when I'm done, so now the battery last
years. I have the same problem with a cheap digital caliper that eats
the battery when not in use.

Sometimes I wonder if battery makers don't sponsor this crap.

--
Jack

Leon[_7_] February 23rd 21 05:11 PM

On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
[...]

Some are some are not. Concerning the Hammer jointer/planer it's
dial/digital counter, mounted behind the crank, is apparently repeatable
accurate in the thousands of an inch.

There is one offered for my model in Europe but I would want imperial vs metric.

The top dog is:
https://www.starrett.com

Maybe I'm blind but I don't see the equivalent of the Wixey tools. I
might go that way if they did, though Starrett is way overpriced for
woodworking.

Nor did I see the equivalent. I have found that some Starrett tape
measures are very reasonably/competitively priced. But that is about
all I can say about reasonably priced.

Leon[_7_] February 23rd 21 05:18 PM

On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be really nice if its repeatable. Wixey makes add-on guages for both applications. Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

Another alternative.

https://www.igagingstore.com/12-Abso...S-p/205480.htm

Interesting, but... here is the warranty statement on their website:

"This site and the materials and products on this site are provided "as is" and without warranties of any kind"

True! Pick your poison.

I would love to find something like this. I had ordered this option, in
inches, when I originally ordered the Hammer A3.

https://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-U...andwheels.html

Leon[_7_] February 23rd 21 05:24 PM

On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be
really nice if its repeatable. Wixey makes add-on guages for both
applications. Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

Another alternative.

https://www.igagingstore.com/12-Abso...S-p/205480.htm

Interesting, but...Â* here is the warranty statement on their website:

"This site and the materials and products on this site are provided
"as is" and without warranties of any kind"

At least they're honest.Â* I hate trying to get a warranty replacement
and they start by putting you on hold with horrendous loud tiny music
for an hour, then a non-english speaking clown gets on asking for
receipts and all that rot.

Anyhow, I do have a Wixy angle gauge.Â* I though it would be good for
checking for 90 degrees, and maybe setting up some angles on things.
Works OK but the first thing I did is check all my tools for 90 degrees.
Â*All were already within the margin of error of the gauge. Next, I
found out the battery went dead just sitting there (I seldom use it.)
Now, I take the battery out of it when I'm done, so now the battery last
years.Â* I have the same problem with a cheap digital caliper that eats
the battery when not in use.

Sometimes I wonder if battery makers don't sponsor this crap.

Sooooo I had battery issue with my "tilt box" style angle gauge. Mine
came in a protective vinyl pouch that fit snugly.

I found that the stitching in the pouch was pressing the "on" button in
some way. Leaving the gauge out of the pouch extended and or putting
the gauge in the pouch in a different direction significantly extended
battery life.

And my digital caliper does pretty well, the battery in it lasts a good
year or more.

BUT as you say, removing the battery after use does extend the life of
the battery.