Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Tom is offline

Default Wixey Digital Angle Gauge

Do any of you have an opinion of this device? It's a magnetic device that
sticks to the table saw blade or other shop tools. I see where Woodcraft has
it for 39.99. I was wondering how accurate it really is. I've been using my
plastic Gauge-It device.
Thanks for your opinions.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Tom wrote:
Do any of you have an opinion of this device? It's a magnetic device that
sticks to the table saw blade or other shop tools. I see where Woodcraft has
it for 39.99. I was wondering how accurate it really is. I've been using my
plastic Gauge-It device.
Thanks for your opinions.

Guess it depends on what your saw is--the built in gauge on my Model 66
seems accurate enough to do mitered corners for six-sided boxes
directly so never found a need for anything else...

Posted to rec.woodworking

I bought one and I'm very satisfied with it. It's very easy to use and it's
nice to be able to get repeatable blade angle settings to 0.01 degrees when
you need to make perfectly fitting parts. I've been able to easily
re-calibrate all of the angle stops on my tools with it to a better accuracy
than they ever were before. Barry Wixey has a website and sells direct as
well as through Woodcraft.

--
Charley

"Tom" wrote in message
m...
Do any of you have an opinion of this device? It's a magnetic device that
sticks to the table saw blade or other shop tools. I see where Woodcraft

has
it for 39.99. I was wondering how accurate it really is. I've been using

my
plastic Gauge-It device.
Thanks for your opinions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've also realized that I can use it to get more accurate cuts on my RAS, my
drill presses, my miter saw, and probably a host of other places that I
haven't thought of yet. I like it's ability to quickly calibrate one surface
to another (saw table - saw blade) which is what it was designed for, but it
also quickly compares two or more surfaces that aren't intended to be level
when you want the angles of these surfaces to be equal to each other. In
these cases it's easy to place the Wixey on one surface and zero it, then
put it on the other surface where it will accurately show any angle
difference between them. A bubble level is always displaying level with a
reference to earth gravity and it's difficult to use it to compare pieces
that are not intended to be level with any accuracy.

--
Charley

"Charley" wrote in message
I bought one and I'm very satisfied with it. It's very easy to use and

it's
nice to be able to get repeatable blade angle settings to 0.01 degrees

when
you need to make perfectly fitting parts. I've been able to easily
re-calibrate all of the angle stops on my tools with it to a better

accuracy
than they ever were before. Barry Wixey has a website and sells direct as
well as through Woodcraft.

--
Charley

"Tom" wrote in message
m...
Do any of you have an opinion of this device? It's a magnetic device

that
sticks to the table saw blade or other shop tools. I see where Woodcraft

has
it for 39.99. I was wondering how accurate it really is. I've been using

my
plastic Gauge-It device.
Thanks for your opinions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charley wrote:
I bought one and I'm very satisfied with it. It's very easy to use and it's
nice to be able to get repeatable blade angle settings to 0.01 degrees when
you need to make perfectly fitting parts.

0.1 or 0.01? The one I saw in the woodcraft circular only went to 1/10
of a degree. If it were 0.01, that would be a great tool.

I've been able to easily
re-calibrate all of the angle stops on my tools with it to a better accuracy
than they ever were before. Barry Wixey has a website and sells direct as
well as through Woodcraft.

Do you have a url for his site? Does he sell any other goodies?

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

"brianlanning" wrote in message
ps.com...
Charley wrote:
I bought one and I'm very satisfied with it. It's very easy to use and
it's
nice to be able to get repeatable blade angle settings to 0.01 degrees
when
you need to make perfectly fitting parts.

0.1 or 0.01? The one I saw in the woodcraft circular only went to 1/10
of a degree. If it were 0.01, that would be a great tool.

I've been able to easily
re-calibrate all of the angle stops on my tools with it to a better
accuracy
than they ever were before. Barry Wixey has a website and sells direct as
well as through Woodcraft.

Do you have a url for his site? Does he sell any other goodies?

brian

The fourth listing from a Google search of Barry Wixey:
http://www.wixey.com/index.html
Kerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

KERRY MONTGOMERY wrote:
The fourth listing from a Google search of Barry Wixey:
http://www.wixey.com/index.html
Kerry

I dags and didn't see it. Must be old-timer's disease.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sorry for the typo. I meant to say 0.1 degree. I just went out to the shop
and looked at it again to be sure. It only reads to a tenth of a degree. It
also has arrows to show which side of zero that the reading is and I hadn't
mentioned them before.

There are 3 button magnets imbedded in the bottom to attach it to steel
surfaces. The unit comes with the battery and it is a standard CR2012 button
cell that's readily available. It is accessed through a round 1/4 turn
twist-off type back door. The front and back of the unit are plastic but the
sides, top, and bottom are a one piece aluminum extrusion. It is about 2
inches square and 1 1/4 inches thick. There is an on/off button and a
zeroing button on the front and those are the only controls that it has, so
it is very simple to use. Whatever you place it on becomes zero degrees when
you press the zero button. Then you place it on a second surface and it
displays the angular offset with respect to the surface that you had zeroed
it to. Both surfaces can be angles with respect to true level. It compares
one to the other and shows the degree offset to the nearest tenth of a
degree.

Barry Wixey sells other digital displays, but rather than try to list them
you can go to his website and see for yourself.
He's providing free shipping if you order from his website.

At the time that I ordered mine he was out of stock, but I was notified
immediately when it would be shipped (3 day delay) and it arrived a day
sooner than he had said that it would. Many small companies don't even check
their websites for orders for several days at a time let alone ship that
quickly.

http://www.wixey.com/index.html

I have no connection to Wixey or his website. I'm just a satisfied customer.

--
Charley

Charley wrote:
I bought one and I'm very satisfied with it. It's very easy to use and

it's
nice to be able to get repeatable blade angle settings to 0.01 degrees

when
you need to make perfectly fitting parts.

0.1 or 0.01? The one I saw in the woodcraft circular only went to 1/10
of a degree. If it were 0.01, that would be a great tool.

I've been able to easily
re-calibrate all of the angle stops on my tools with it to a better

accuracy
than they ever were before. Barry Wixey has a website and sells direct

as
well as through Woodcraft.

Do you have a url for his site? Does he sell any other goodies?

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks. I'll be picking one up in addition to the digital planer
gauge.

brian

Charley wrote:
I bought one and I'm very satisfied with it. It's very easy to use and

it's
nice to be able to get repeatable blade angle settings to 0.01 degrees

when
you need to make perfectly fitting parts.

0.1 or 0.01? The one I saw in the woodcraft circular only went to 1/10
of a degree. If it were 0.01, that would be a great tool.

I've been able to easily
re-calibrate all of the angle stops on my tools with it to a better

accuracy
than they ever were before. Barry Wixey has a website and sells direct

as
well as through Woodcraft.

Do you have a url for his site? Does he sell any other goodies?

brian

Everything You want to Know about DVD player rajeshsharma7777 Electronics Repair 1 July 12th 06 06:30 PM
Can one "overclock" a CRT monitor's video input bandwidth? Need slightly higher refresh rate than my existng CRT allows... Ken Moiarty Electronics Repair 32 April 26th 06 06:58 AM
Cutting Angle Iron Pete C UK diy 20 August 22nd 05 08:13 PM
Digital set-top boxes (slightly O/T) - weak signal area. Jonathan Peters UK diy 139 January 19th 04 10:27 AM
Digital Photography using up electrons =\\^.^/= Metalworking 17 September 1st 03 04:29 PM