yessuh

Default Scroll Saw Newby

SWMBO got me a scroll saw - Dremel 1680.

Can anyone suggest a book or website that'll get me started in the right
direction.

Thanks for your help

hus
Kevin Daly

Can anyone suggest a book or website that'll get me started in the right
direction.

I loved my 1680 (until I killed it)
Here's a few suggestions;
Books:
Shop-Tested Scrollsaw Techniques;
Anything by Patrick Spielman to do with scrollsaws;
There's a great video on e-bay (A - Z Fretworking) that you can get for about
$15 (shipping included).
There's a ton of great websites and user groups, msn's Free Scrollsaw Patterns
is a great group to get started with.
As far as websites here's a few;
http://www.scrollsawer.com/scrollerscorner.htm
http://www.saw-online.com/
http://www.mikesworkshop.com/ (also a great source for the very best blades).
One word of warning.....scrolling can be addictive .

Kevin Daly
http://hometown.aol.com/kdaly10475/page1.html
jo4hn

Kevin Daly wrote:

Can anyone suggest a book or website that'll get me started in the right
direction.

I loved my 1680 (until I killed it)

[snip]

Did you replace it with something?
j4
Kevin Daly

Did you replace it with something?

The Dremel was a reconditioned unit that I got for $99. I've replaced t with a
craftsman 16" variable speed (it's the same exact saw with different colored
plastic and no lights). I was able to get it on sale plus my discounts for
$90. As I consider the Dremel a hobbyist saw as well as the craftsman, I have
no complaints (I put 40+ hours a week on the saws cutting a variety of
hardwoods). For the money these are quite good, eventually I'll step up to a
Hegner or Excalibur saw once I make enough from the projects made with the
craftsman and dremels.

Kevin Daly
http://hometown.aol.com/kdaly10475/page1.html
Kevin Daly
Mattatuck Astronomical Society
http://hometown.aol.com/kdaly10475/index.html
Bob McConnell

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 16:08:37 GMT, GerryG wrote:

I'll add just one more...
www.scrollsaws.com
IMO, Rick's got some of the most balanced reviews and advice around.
GerryG

On 09 Sep 2004 10:28:09 GMT, ospam (Kevin Daly) wrote:

Can anyone suggest a book or website that'll get me started in the right
direction.

I loved my 1680 (until I killed it)
Here's a few suggestions;
Books:
Shop-Tested Scrollsaw Techniques;
Anything by Patrick Spielman to do with scrollsaws;
There's a great video on e-bay (A - Z Fretworking) that you can get for about
$15 (shipping included).
There's a ton of great websites and user groups, msn's Free Scrollsaw Patterns
is a great group to get started with.
As far as websites here's a few;
http://www.scrollsawer.com/scrollerscorner.htm
http://www.saw-online.com/
http://www.mikesworkshop.com/ (also a great source for the very best blades).
One word of warning.....scrolling can be addictive .

Kevin Daly
http://hometown.aol.com/kdaly10475/page1.html

There is also a mailing list:
Sign up at
http://allgw.allthingswood.com/mailman/listinfo/scrolling-list

An online chat at:
http://se.allthingswood.com/apirc/

I also have a 1680, but no room to work with it right now. I hope to
build a small workshop next spring, if we don't float away this
summer.

I need a good pattern for a "No Fishing, No Swimming" sign for my
front yard. A neighbor already has a silouette of a boy fishing in the
ditch next to their driveway. This week the fish on the end of his
line was floating in the water.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP