yessuh

Default Scroll Saw Newby

SWMBO got me a scroll saw - Dremel 1680.

Can anyone suggest a book or website that'll get me started in the right
direction.

Thanks for your help

hus
Kevin Daly

Can anyone suggest a book or website that'll get me started in the right
direction.

I loved my 1680 (until I killed it)
Here's a few suggestions;
Books:
Shop-Tested Scrollsaw Techniques;
Anything by Patrick Spielman to do with scrollsaws;
There's a great video on e-bay (A - Z Fretworking) that you can get for about
$15 (shipping included).
There's a ton of great websites and user groups, msn's Free Scrollsaw Patterns
is a great group to get started with.
As far as websites here's a few;
http://www.scrollsawer.com/scrollerscorner.htm
http://www.saw-online.com/
http://www.mikesworkshop.com/ (also a great source for the very best blades).
One word of warning.....scrolling can be addictive .

Kevin Daly
http://hometown.aol.com/kdaly10475/page1.html
jo4hn

Kevin Daly wrote:

Can anyone suggest a book or website that'll get me started in the right
direction.

I loved my 1680 (until I killed it)

[snip]

Did you replace it with something?
j4
Bob McConnell

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 16:08:37 GMT, GerryG wrote:

I'll add just one more...
www.scrollsaws.com
IMO, Rick's got some of the most balanced reviews and advice around.
GerryG

On 09 Sep 2004 10:28:09 GMT, ospam (Kevin Daly) wrote:

Can anyone suggest a book or website that'll get me started in the right
direction.

I loved my 1680 (until I killed it)
Here's a few suggestions;
Books:
Shop-Tested Scrollsaw Techniques;
Anything by Patrick Spielman to do with scrollsaws;
There's a great video on e-bay (A - Z Fretworking) that you can get for about
$15 (shipping included).
There's a ton of great websites and user groups, msn's Free Scrollsaw Patterns
is a great group to get started with.
As far as websites here's a few;
http://www.scrollsawer.com/scrollerscorner.htm
http://www.saw-online.com/
http://www.mikesworkshop.com/ (also a great source for the very best blades).
One word of warning.....scrolling can be addictive .

Kevin Daly
http://hometown.aol.com/kdaly10475/page1.html

There is also a mailing list:
Sign up at
http://allgw.allthingswood.com/mailman/listinfo/scrolling-list

An online chat at:
http://se.allthingswood.com/apirc/

I also have a 1680, but no room to work with it right now. I hope to
build a small workshop next spring, if we don't float away this
summer.

I need a good pattern for a "No Fishing, No Swimming" sign for my
front yard. A neighbor already has a silouette of a boy fishing in the
ditch next to their driveway. This week the fish on the end of his
line was floating in the water.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Kevin Daly

Did you replace it with something?

The Dremel was a reconditioned unit that I got for $99. I've replaced t with a
craftsman 16" variable speed (it's the same exact saw with different colored
plastic and no lights). I was able to get it on sale plus my discounts for
$90. As I consider the Dremel a hobbyist saw as well as the craftsman, I have
no complaints (I put 40+ hours a week on the saws cutting a variety of
hardwoods). For the money these are quite good, eventually I'll step up to a
Hegner or Excalibur saw once I make enough from the projects made with the
craftsman and dremels.

Kevin Daly
http://hometown.aol.com/kdaly10475/page1.html
Kevin Daly