Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Charlie Self

Default OT--slightly anyway, what gives with used laptops

For shooting photos out of my own shop, I'm slowly running up on a need for a
method of viewing the shots more fully at the scene.

So I started checking used laptop prices, and keep running into a sort of price
settling at $700 ($699 plus shipping) to $800 ($799 plus shipping). Checking
these out, I find 6, 8, 10 or 12 gig hard drives, Pentium IIIs, max of 128 megs
of RAM, few details on USB, lots of CD readers and DVD readers, screens in the
12" range.

Just for kicks, I thought I'd check the Dell site, since I've gotten good value
from my desktop Dell. Here we go: several of their 1150 models, with Pentium
IV, quarter to a half gig of RAM, 20 or 30 or 40 gig hard drive, 14+" screen,
CDRW, bunch of other handy stuff, plus XP loaded. Prices start at about $825.

Do these smaller outfits have rocks in their heads or are they out there hoping
to catch the ever unwary? Add 25 bucks to their prices and get a hard drive
that is 4-5 times as large, double or triple the RAM, a faster CPU and a
burner, plus other features and they expect to sell stuff.

Amazing.

Charlie Self
"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he
excites among his opponents." Sir Winston Churchill