Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Built a Hole!

Soooooo since no one is mentioning building something I'll mention the
POS I built last week.

First off this is for a good customer that ordered an IKEA toy box. I
got to build it and cut a hole in it.

The roll out drawer holds a cat litter box and needed a hole for
entering and exiting.

Here is where I got to use my Shaper Origin again for a paying job!

So I built the %&^((($%$###$****** box with the included plastic fasteners.

Then I cut the hole!!!!

No computer design for the CNC work. The on board software, on the
Origin, let me establish the X,Y axis on the drawer front, dial in the
proper offset, cut the size rectangle I want, and add a radius to all
corners. SIMPLE!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, September 10, 2020 at 5:34:12 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
Soooooo since no one is mentioning building something I'll mention the
POS I built last week.

First off this is for a good customer that ordered an IKEA toy box. I
got to build it and cut a hole in it.

The roll out drawer holds a cat litter box and needed a hole for
entering and exiting.

Here is where I got to use my Shaper Origin again for a paying job!

So I built the %&^((($%$###$****** box with the included plastic fasteners.

Then I cut the hole!!!!

No computer design for the CNC work. The on board software, on the
Origin, let me establish the X,Y axis on the drawer front, dial in the
proper offset, cut the size rectangle I want, and add a radius to all
corners. SIMPLE!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

That box is too plain. Customer needs to put some cat decals on it... or some mouse decals.

JRR Tolkien's cat poem.

Cat
The fat cat on the mat
may seem to dream
of nice mice that suffice
for him, or cream;
but he free. maybe,
walks in thought
unbowed, proud, where loud
roared and fought
his kin, lean and slim,
or deep in den
in the East feasted on beasts
and tender men.

The giant lion with iron
claw in paw,
and huge ruthless tooth
in gory jaw;
the pard dark-starred,
fleet upon feet,
that oft soft from aloft
leaps on his meat
where woods loom in gloom---
far now they be,
fierce and free,
and tamed as he;
but fat cat on the mat
kept as pet,
he does not forget.

Lately, I've been doing some furniture repairs and upholstery.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 17:34:03 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

Soooooo since no one is mentioning building something I'll mention the
POS I built last week.

First off this is for a good customer that ordered an IKEA toy box. I
got to build it and cut a hole in it.

The roll out drawer holds a cat litter box and needed a hole for
entering and exiting.

Here is where I got to use my Shaper Origin again for a paying job!

So I built the %&^((($%$###$****** box with the included plastic fasteners.

Then I cut the hole!!!!

No computer design for the CNC work. The on board software, on the
Origin, let me establish the X,Y axis on the drawer front, dial in the
proper offset, cut the size rectangle I want, and add a radius to all
corners. SIMPLE!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

If you did not cut the hole would the cat be alive or dead in the box?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Soooooo since no one is mentioning building something I'll mention the
POS I built last week.

First off this is for a good customer that ordered an IKEA toy box. I
got to build it and cut a hole in it.

The roll out drawer holds a cat litter box and needed a hole for
entering and exiting.

Here is where I got to use my Shaper Origin again for a paying job!

So I built the %&^((($%$###$****** box with the included plastic fasteners.

Then I cut the hole!!!!

No computer design for the CNC work. The on board software, on the
Origin, let me establish the X,Y axis on the drawer front, dial in the
proper offset, cut the size rectangle I want, and add a radius to all
corners. SIMPLE!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

If you did not cut the hole would the cat be alive or dead in the box?

Schrödinger teaches us that an object made by Ikea and a piece of furniture
can not exist in the same space at the same time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

So that why they are so damn heavy, black hole tech!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Soooooo since no one is mentioning building something I'll mention the
POS I built last week.

First off this is for a good customer that ordered an IKEA toy box. I
got to build it and cut a hole in it.

The roll out drawer holds a cat litter box and needed a hole for
entering and exiting.

Here is where I got to use my Shaper Origin again for a paying job!

So I built the %&^((($%$###$****** box with the included plastic fasteners.

Then I cut the hole!!!!

No computer design for the CNC work. The on board software, on the
Origin, let me establish the X,Y axis on the drawer front, dial in the
proper offset, cut the size rectangle I want, and add a radius to all
corners. SIMPLE!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

If you did not cut the hole would the cat be alive or dead in the box?

Neither. With out the hole it could not have gotten in. LOL

Actually I brought up the outer shell, upstairs of course, then the
drawer. I sat the drawer in the middle of the room.
The cat immediately walked right through the hole and into the drawer
and looked up at us.

We placed the drawer and litter box inside the outer shell and the cat
walked in, did his business, and came out a minute or two later.

Actually the toy box was a perfect solution to containing the mess and
the drawer, being on rollers, slid in and out with ease. This job
turned out to be a bit rewarding in that my customer, the cat, seemed to
be totally comfortable with the whole rig. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I will attest that IKEA style furniture is absolutely intended to be
built in close proximity to where it will eventually remain.

This stuff does not do well being moved from one location to another.
Moving to another home and the stuff will have issues.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Particle board is heavy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

OTOH, wavy boards have no weight at all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

And FWIW the thick top on the outer housing was almost as lite as a
feather. I suspect, wavy boar?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/10/2020 6:34 PM, Leon wrote:

The roll out drawer holds a cat litter box and needed a hole for
entering and exiting.

Here is where I got to use my Shaper Origin again for a paying job!

So I built the %&^((($%$###$****** box with the included plastic fasteners.

Then I cut the hole!!!!

No computer design for the CNC work.Â* The on board software, on the
Origin, let me establish the X,Y axis on the drawer front, dial in the
proper offset, cut the size rectangle I want, and add a radius to all
corners. SIMPLE!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

So, how much money do I have to invest to make a hole like that? Did
you recoup your costs on the first job?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/12/2020 2:01 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/10/2020 6:34 PM, Leon wrote:

The roll out drawer holds a cat litter box and needed a hole for
entering and exiting.

Here is where I got to use my Shaper Origin again for a paying job!

So I built the %&^((($%$###$****** box with the included plastic
fasteners.

Then I cut the hole!!!!

No computer design for the CNC work.Â* The on board software, on the
Origin, let me establish the X,Y axis on the drawer front, dial in the
proper offset, cut the size rectangle I want, and add a radius to all
corners. SIMPLE!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

So, how much money do I have to invest to make a hole like that?Â* Did
you recoup your costs on the first job?

LOL. The short answer is $2500. I probably got back $300 on the
first job.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/10/2020 6:34 PM, Leon wrote:

The roll out drawer holds a cat litter box and needed a hole for
entering and exiting.

Here is where I got to use my Shaper Origin again for a paying job!

So I built the %&^((($%$###$****** box with the included plastic
fasteners.

Then I cut the hole!!!!

No computer design for the CNC work. The on board software, on the
Origin, let me establish the X,Y axis on the drawer front, dial in the
proper offset, cut the size rectangle I want, and add a radius to all
corners. SIMPLE!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

So, how much money do I have to invest to make a hole like that? Did
you recoup your costs on the first job?

LOL. The short answer is $2500. I probably got back $300 on the
first job.

I can't decide which is the better response, so I guess I'll post them both...

1 - But now you have the everlasting gratitude of the cat. Priceless!

2 - $2500 and the damn cat is sh*tting all over your work.