Jay Pique

Default Fixed blade POWERED jointers.

Anyone seen a jointer that has a fixed blade? What I'm thinking is
something like a jointer plane held upside down with a power feeder
that rams the board over it, creating a nice smooth shaving along the
length and width of the board. Have some strong featherboards pusing
from the top and the side, and then a piston type thingy or something
that feeds the board through.

JP
****************
Just a thought...
My Old Tools

Been done. There were a couple of different fixed blade surfacers from
japan a few years ago. I don't know if they are still avialable. Instument
makers really liked them
--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com
"Jay Pique" wrote in message
Anyone seen a jointer that has a fixed blade? What I'm thinking is
something like a jointer plane held upside down with a power feeder
that rams the board over it, creating a nice smooth shaving along the
length and width of the board. Have some strong featherboards pusing
from the top and the side, and then a piston type thingy or something
that feeds the board through.

JP
****************
Just a thought...

Morris Dovey

Jay Pique wrote:

Anyone seen a jointer that has a fixed blade? What I'm thinking is
something like a jointer plane held upside down with a power feeder
that rams the board over it, creating a nice smooth shaving along the
length and width of the board. Have some strong featherboards pusing
from the top and the side, and then a piston type thingy or something
that feeds the board through.

Hmm. If you turn the blade lengthwise and apply it to a rotating
log instead of a sliding board...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Unisaw A100

Ross wrote:
Been done. There were a couple of different fixed blade surfacers from
japan a few years ago. I don't know if they are still avialable. Instument
makers really liked them

We had a brief discussion of them over on the OWWM. You can
search the archives there for that. Hitachi and Makita made
them. I did see one come across eBay a short time ago. It
didn't fetch what I would have expected (1).

(1) They aren't cheap. From memory I'm thinking a grand or
two ('Murikan).

UA100
Unisaw A100

Unisaw A100 wrote:
I did see one come across eBay a short time ago. It
didn't fetch what I would have expected (1).

(1) They aren't cheap. From memory I'm thinking a grand or
two ('Murikan).

Just happened to be on the bay and saw this one.

UA100

Jay Pique

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Ross wrote:
Been done. There were a couple of different fixed blade surfacers from
japan a few years ago. I don't know if they are still avialable. Instument
makers really liked them

We had a brief discussion of them over on the OWWM. You can
search the archives there for that. Hitachi and Makita made
them. I did see one come across eBay a short time ago. It
didn't fetch what I would have expected (1).

(1) They aren't cheap. From memory I'm thinking a grand or
two ('Murikan).

Can you provide a link? How was the quality of cut? I'm guessing
that, as with all cutting tools, the honing of the blade would be
vital...

JP
Lazarus Long

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 13:44:49 GMT, Unisaw A100
wrote:

Unisaw A100 wrote:
I did see one come across eBay a short time ago. It
didn't fetch what I would have expected (1).

(1) They aren't cheap. From memory I'm thinking a grand or
two ('Murikan).

Just happened to be on the bay and saw this one.

UA100

I seem to recall that there was also a knife sharpening accessory for
these things too. The machine mentioned in the Ebay ad doesn't have
that item listed with it. I'd imagine the quality of the edge of the
blade is vitally important. And speaking of knives for these, where
would one get some spares. I always keep spare knives around for my
planer and jointer.

But at ~$400, it'd be an o.k. deal IMO.
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Morris Dovey wrote:
Jay Pique wrote:

Anyone seen a jointer that has a fixed blade? What I'm thinking is
something like a jointer plane held upside down with a power feeder
that rams the board over it, creating a nice smooth shaving along the
length and width of the board. Have some strong featherboards pusing
from the top and the side, and then a piston type thingy or something
that feeds the board through.

Hmm. If you turn the blade lengthwise and apply it to a rotating
log instead of a sliding board...

That's what I'd call making pencils the _hard_ way. grin

Joe Wells

wrote:

Unisaw A100 wrote:
I did see one come across eBay a short time ago. It didn't fetch what I
would have expected (1).

(1) They aren't cheap. From memory I'm thinking a grand or two
('Murikan).

Just happened to be on the bay and saw this one.

UA100

I seem to recall that there was also a knife sharpening accessory for
these things too. The machine mentioned in the Ebay ad doesn't have that
item listed with it. I'd imagine the quality of the edge of the blade is
vitally important. And speaking of knives for these, where would one get
some spares. I always keep spare knives around for my planer and jointer.

But at ~$400, it'd be an o.k. deal IMO.

Mebbe, but the Buy It Now price is $1000. At $400, the reserve hasn't been
met. I doubt it'd go for less than $800. Interesting critter, though.

--
Joe Wells

Lazarus Long

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 09:50:43 -0700, "CW" no adddress@spam free.com
wrote:

That's a planer. Board goes between belt and blade.

Well, yeah. Both my planer and this supersurfacer, as they were
called, have knives. In the case of my planer, 2, in the case of this
supersurfacer, 1. Still need a spare or a replacement for it.

"Lazarus Long" wrote in message
.. .

Just happened to be on the bay and saw this one.

UA100

I seem to recall that there was also a knife sharpening accessory for
these things too. The machine mentioned in the Ebay ad doesn't have
that item listed with it. I'd imagine the quality of the edge of the
blade is vitally important. And speaking of knives for these, where
would one get some spares. I always keep spare knives around for my
planer and jointer.

But at ~$400, it'd be an o.k. deal IMO.

Morris Dovey

Robert Bonomi wrote:

In article , Morris
Dovey wrote:

Jay Pique wrote:

Anyone seen a jointer that has a fixed blade? What I'm
thinking is something like a jointer plane held upside
down with a power feeder that rams the board over it,
creating a nice smooth shaving along the length and width
of the board. Have some strong featherboards pusing from
the top and the side, and then a piston type thingy or
something that feeds the board through.

Hmm. If you turn the blade lengthwise and apply it to a
rotating log instead of a sliding board...

That's what I'd call making pencils the _hard_ way. grin

This is one of those backward tools. The shaving is the product
(veneer) and the pencil is the waste (-:

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Morris Dovey wrote:
Robert Bonomi wrote:

In article , Morris
Dovey wrote:

Jay Pique wrote:

Anyone seen a jointer that has a fixed blade? What I'm
thinking is something like a jointer plane held upside
down with a power feeder that rams the board over it,
creating a nice smooth shaving along the length and width
of the board. Have some strong featherboards pusing from
the top and the side, and then a piston type thingy or
something that feeds the board through.

Hmm. If you turn the blade lengthwise and apply it to a
rotating log instead of a sliding board...

That's what I'd call making pencils the _hard_ way. grin

This is one of those backward tools. The shaving is the product
(veneer) and the pencil is the waste (-:

Yeah. like one of those strange food products:

"First you throway the outside.
And you cook the inside.
Then you eat the outside,
and throw away the inside."

Morris Dovey

Robert Bonomi wrote:

"First you throway the outside.
And you cook the inside.
Then you eat the outside,
and throw away the inside."

This might go the way of hardwoods - tomatos...

I recall a story about the Spanish explorers who saw the local
people picking and boiling some kind of bush bean. They explained
to the Spaniards that the fresh beans had a horrible, bitter
taste until boiled three times in fresh water. No one's terribly
certain how it came about; but the Spaniards took up the practice
of boiling the beans, then discarding the beans and drinking the
water.

Hm. My cup's empty.

--
Morris Dovey