GerryG

Default Harbor Freight Coming to Town!

Not sure if that addition is a step up or not:-) In any case, where are you?
GerryG

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 23:13:52 -0500, WD wrote:

Took my wife to a newly enlarge JoAnn Fabric Store this afternoon and found that
it's next door neighbor will soon be Harbor Freight.

Within an approx. five Miles' radius we have Two HDs, a Lowes, two Cummins
Tools, Costco, Woodcraft and Aces Hardware and not too far off we have Paxton
Liberty Hardwood and Schutte Lumber.

If woodcraft is your hobby or profession, it's like paradise.... Maybe Lee
Valley might even open a store here in the not too distance future (just
kidding)?

Not bad huh?

Wilson

Of course it's a step up. His wife will appreciate his offering to take her
to JoAnn's every now and then! I expect he will even develop a high
appreciation for her sewing skills. Domestic harmony will reign and his
life will be lengthened.
Wilson
"GerryG" wrote in message
Not sure if that addition is a step up or not:-) In any case, where are

you?
GerryG

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 23:13:52 -0500, WD wrote:

Took my wife to a newly enlarge JoAnn Fabric Store this afternoon and

found that
it's next door neighbor will soon be Harbor Freight.

Within an approx. five Miles' radius we have Two HDs, a Lowes, two

Cummins
Tools, Costco, Woodcraft and Aces Hardware and not too far off we have

Paxton
Liberty Hardwood and Schutte Lumber.

If woodcraft is your hobby or profession, it's like paradise.... Maybe

Lee
Valley might even open a store here in the not too distance future (just
kidding)?

Not bad huh?

Phisherman

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 23:13:52 -0500, WD wrote:

Took my wife to a newly enlarge JoAnn Fabric Store this afternoon and found that
it's next door neighbor will soon be Harbor Freight.

Within an approx. five Miles' radius we have Two HDs, a Lowes, two Cummins
Tools, Costco, Woodcraft and Aces Hardware and not too far off we have Paxton
Liberty Hardwood and Schutte Lumber.

If woodcraft is your hobby or profession, it's like paradise.... Maybe Lee
Valley might even open a store here in the not too distance future (just
kidding)?

Not bad huh?

Well, having a Harbor Freight nearby is nice. They carry a few
hard-to-find items. But, you really need to be careful about quality.
I have bought very few "woodworking" tools from Harbor Freight, and
none are "motorized" items.

TWS

WD wrote:
Took my wife to a newly enlarge JoAnn Fabric Store this afternoon and found that
it's next door neighbor will soon be Harbor Freight.

Within an approx. five Miles' radius we have Two HDs, a Lowes, two Cummins
Tools, Costco, Woodcraft and Aces Hardware and not too far off we have Paxton
Liberty Hardwood and Schutte Lumber.

If woodcraft is your hobby or profession, it's like paradise.... Maybe Lee
Valley might even open a store here in the not too distance future (just
kidding)?

Not bad huh?

In my experience you need to be VERY selective as to what you get at
Harbor Freight. I will admit that it is a GREAT place to visit for tool
junkies but I have probably replaced about one third of the tools and
virtually all of the power tools I've gotten from Harbor Freight. I
have concluded that they are ok for general purpose, hack around hand
tools but if you do serious woodworking their tools are a liability more
than a cost savings. I can't see saving $100 on a tool that could
potentially ruin that fine piece of figured Cherry you are trying to
mortise.

I have found their tools to be insufficiently hardened, wrong alloys, or
are poorly machined and might be out of square or have easily stripped
threads, etc. You need a hammer? Great, maybe they can supply a useful
one. You want some cheap furniture pads to transport your finished work?
HF is a bargain. You need a smoothing plane? Get a good one - it will
last a lifetime and every cut will be satisfying rather than curse
generating.

TWS

mac davis

I live near a Harbor Freight and they never seem to have what I want
when I want it.. always had to get "rain checks"..

I gave up and just use their web site now..
http://www.harborfreight.com/

They have a nice "wish list" setup that the prices change on, both
when the price is changed and when the item is on sale..

Since they ship free with a purchase of $50 or more, I just add things
to my wish list until the total is over $50 and throw all those "can't
resist buying that, it's so cheap" items in the shopping cart..

I think that the thing to keep in mind at harbor freight is that you
get what you pay for... don't expect quality at prices that low..

They're great for sanding disks and belts, chip brushes, vices (free
shipping), etc... but I wouldn't buy a table saw there and expect the
same quality or precision of a delta..

Mac

Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Larry Kraus wrote:
Every time I've tried this, they have been "out of stock" on some item
that drops the total below $50. They ship the rest, and charge full
shipping charges ( including un-requested "insurance"). Twice I
received new sale catalogs the next day, advertising the "out of
stock" items. You would have a hard time convincing me that there is
a difference between "free shipping" and "scam".

mac davis wrote:

Since they ship free with a purchase of $50 or more, I just add things
to my wish list until the total is over $50 and throw all those "can't
resist buying that, it's so cheap" items in the shopping cart..

I've had orders shipped with out of stock items that dropped the total
below $50, but they still did not charge for shipping. Are you
ordering by phone or from their website? I've ben using the website
for years, can't remember the last time I phoned in an order.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

mac davis

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:21:34 GMT, Larry Kraus
wrote:
hmm.. never had that happen, larry..

I order from their web site almost every month and I think I've only
had 1 back ordered item in the year or so I've been using the web
site..
I checked the site last night and my wish list is about $70.. time to
fill the shopping cart with more "gotta havits"..

mac davis wrote:

Since they ship free with a purchase of $50 or more, I just add things
to my wish list until the total is over $50 and throw all those "can't
resist buying that, it's so cheap" items in the shopping cart..

Mac
03 Tahoe Widelite 26GT Travel Trailer
replaced 1958 Hilite tent trailer
99 Dodge Ram QQ 2wd - 5.9L, auto, 3:55 gears

60 Hz buzzing noise coming from floor Jonny R Home Repair 11 June 19th 04 09:56 PM
Bad odor coming from expansion joint around interior wall of home John Hughes Home Repair 2 December 9th 03 06:05 PM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
Rainwater Coming Out Of Airbrick in a Capped Chimney BigWallop UK diy 1 July 17th 03 01:05 AM