todd the wood junkie

Default 50 bf of osage orange

I got 50 bf of osage about 3 months ago. A local sawyer offered to
mill the log for me at 1 buck a bf. I said sure, and I bought the
wood thinking it would make beautiful outdoor furniture. He sliced
the wood into 6-8" wide boards all about 6 ft long, and I stickered it
in my garage with a fan blowing on it.

Now I'm not so sure I want to make outdoor furniture out of it. I
didn't realize at the time, but osage sells for much more than I
purchased it for (I've seen upwards of 15/bf) and I want to make
something really cool out of it. I used just a tiny little in making
a cutting board and it is the coolest wood I've ever worked with.

Any ideas what to do with this treasure?

Phil Crow

Snip

Any ideas what to do with this treasure?

Well, it's been said that one hedge apple post will wear out two
holes. If there ever was a wood for outdoor furniture, this (that) is
it. You can give it to your grandkids. Or, you could spend $15/bf on
teak and not have any interesting stories. I also have a friend who
sells firewood--he says it burns extremely well.

-Phil Crow
Edwin Pawlowski

"todd the wood junkie" wrote in message
Now I'm not so sure I want to make outdoor furniture out of it. I
didn't realize at the time, but osage sells for much more than I
purchased it for (I've seen upwards of 15/bf) and I want to make
something really cool out of it. I used just a tiny little in making
a cutting board and it is the coolest wood I've ever worked with.

Any ideas what to do with this treasure?

I've never seen the wood and I'm curious as to how it looks. If you can,
post a picture of the board so we can see it.

Thanks,
Ed

Jim Helfer

todd the wood junkie wrote:
I got 50 bf of osage about 3 months ago. A local sawyer offered to
mill the log for me at 1 buck a bf. I said sure, and I bought the
wood thinking it would make beautiful outdoor furniture. He sliced
the wood into 6-8" wide boards all about 6 ft long, and I stickered it
in my garage with a fan blowing on it.

Now I'm not so sure I want to make outdoor furniture out of it. I
didn't realize at the time, but osage sells for much more than I
purchased it for (I've seen upwards of 15/bf) and I want to make
something really cool out of it. I used just a tiny little in making
a cutting board and it is the coolest wood I've ever worked with.

Any ideas what to do with this treasure?

They make traditional bows out of osage.....

Mike Fairleigh

I dunno what part of the country you're in, but here in the central plains
there are still MANY farms that are fenced with wooden fence posts. Many of
them are osage orange. They've been there for over 100 years and while
they've weathered, they're still perfectly functional as fence posts. I
can't imagine a better wood for outdoor furniture.

--
Mike Fairleigh

Please don't smoke. It devastates the people who care about you.

"todd the wood junkie" wrote in message
om...
I got 50 bf of osage about 3 months ago.

Kevin

Hedge posts (what we called 'em) placed in the ground by my grandpa in the
early 30s are still going strong. But they wear in what I think is a rather
interesting way. We had to move a couple of the posts to make a gate wider.
Dug it up and saw that the above ground part of the post was maybe 2-3" in
diameter, the part beloiw ground was 6-8".

m...