DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   50 bf of osage orange (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/66879-50-bf-osage-orange.html)

todd the wood junkie August 27th 04 06:23 PM

50 bf of osage orange

I got 50 bf of osage about 3 months ago. A local sawyer offered to
mill the log for me at 1 buck a bf. I said sure, and I bought the
wood thinking it would make beautiful outdoor furniture. He sliced
the wood into 6-8" wide boards all about 6 ft long, and I stickered it
in my garage with a fan blowing on it.

Now I'm not so sure I want to make outdoor furniture out of it. I
didn't realize at the time, but osage sells for much more than I
purchased it for (I've seen upwards of 15/bf) and I want to make
something really cool out of it. I used just a tiny little in making
a cutting board and it is the coolest wood I've ever worked with.

Any ideas what to do with this treasure?

Phil Crow August 28th 04 12:52 AM

Snip

Any ideas what to do with this treasure?

Well, it's been said that one hedge apple post will wear out two
holes. If there ever was a wood for outdoor furniture, this (that) is
it. You can give it to your grandkids. Or, you could spend $15/bf on
teak and not have any interesting stories. I also have a friend who
sells firewood--he says it burns extremely well.

-Phil Crow

Edwin Pawlowski August 28th 04 04:27 AM

"todd the wood junkie" wrote in message
Now I'm not so sure I want to make outdoor furniture out of it. I
didn't realize at the time, but osage sells for much more than I
purchased it for (I've seen upwards of 15/bf) and I want to make
something really cool out of it. I used just a tiny little in making
a cutting board and it is the coolest wood I've ever worked with.

Any ideas what to do with this treasure?

I've never seen the wood and I'm curious as to how it looks. If you can,
post a picture of the board so we can see it.

Thanks,
Ed

Jim Helfer August 28th 04 05:19 AM

todd the wood junkie wrote:
I got 50 bf of osage about 3 months ago. A local sawyer offered to
mill the log for me at 1 buck a bf. I said sure, and I bought the
wood thinking it would make beautiful outdoor furniture. He sliced
the wood into 6-8" wide boards all about 6 ft long, and I stickered it
in my garage with a fan blowing on it.

Now I'm not so sure I want to make outdoor furniture out of it. I
didn't realize at the time, but osage sells for much more than I
purchased it for (I've seen upwards of 15/bf) and I want to make
something really cool out of it. I used just a tiny little in making
a cutting board and it is the coolest wood I've ever worked with.

Any ideas what to do with this treasure?

They make traditional bows out of osage.....

Dave Mundt August 28th 04 06:43 AM

Greetings and Salutations....

On 27 Aug 2004 10:23:41 -0700, (todd the wood
junkie) wrote:

I got 50 bf of osage about 3 months ago. A local sawyer offered to
mill the log for me at 1 buck a bf. I said sure, and I bought the
wood thinking it would make beautiful outdoor furniture. He sliced
the wood into 6-8" wide boards all about 6 ft long, and I stickered it
in my garage with a fan blowing on it.

Now I'm not so sure I want to make outdoor furniture out of it. I
didn't realize at the time, but osage sells for much more than I
purchased it for (I've seen upwards of 15/bf) and I want to make
something really cool out of it. I used just a tiny little in making
a cutting board and it is the coolest wood I've ever worked with.

Any ideas what to do with this treasure?

Well, I recently acquired a chunk of Osage Orange at the
turner's club meeting, and, made a kind of goblet out of some of it
(with a captive ring). It is tough wood to turn, but, looks pretty
nice. One could make a nice set of plates out of SOME of it.
Regards
Dave Mundt

Dan Cullimore August 28th 04 06:46 AM

(Phil Crow) wrote in message . com...
Snip

Any ideas what to do with this treasure?

Well, it's been said that one hedge apple post will wear out two
holes. snip -Phil Crow

Two arms, if you try to split it for the woodstove!

Dan

Mike Fairleigh August 28th 04 07:43 AM

I dunno what part of the country you're in, but here in the central plains
there are still MANY farms that are fenced with wooden fence posts. Many of
them are osage orange. They've been there for over 100 years and while
they've weathered, they're still perfectly functional as fence posts. I
can't imagine a better wood for outdoor furniture.

--
Mike Fairleigh

Please don't smoke. It devastates the people who care about you.

Kevin August 31st 04 07:45 PM

Hedge posts (what we called 'em) placed in the ground by my grandpa in the
early 30s are still going strong. But they wear in what I think is a rather
interesting way. We had to move a couple of the posts to make a gate wider.
Dug it up and saw that the above ground part of the post was maybe 2-3" in
diameter, the part beloiw ground was 6-8".

m...

Charles Erskine September 1st 04 06:14 PM

If it was mine, I would use it to make tools like
Krenovian planes
marking gages, panel gages
bow saw frames
mallets