lanikailad

Default Butcher Block Finishing

I'm in real bad need of some urgent help. While my wife is out of town, I
decided to undertake a project that would have been difficult while she is
home.

We have in our kitchen, a center island counter, about 3.5 ft. by 8 feet,
that is finished like a butcher block, but with long grain, rather than end
grain on the surface. It's about 20 years old and was in need of
refinishing.

I sanded it down, finishing with 400 grit sandpaper. When I finished
sanding, it looked great, very smooth, very even and very blond.

I proceeding to finish it off with butcher block oil. That was a disaster.
It turned the wood very dark.

I need to know how to get that oil out so that I can return it to blond
color and then what kind of oil to use that will leave the blond tone.

I hope someone has a good suggestion. Otherwise, I'm in deep trouble!

Thanks.
PM

Leon

IMHO, live with it. Anything that you put on the surface will darken it to
some extent. Even water will make it appear darker. Mineral oil would be
an alternative but it will still darken the wood.

WoodChuck34

PM,

I would suggest a trip to the jewelry store. Find something with a diamond in it.

Good luck,

Chuck
Robert Galloway

You stated that the top was not end grain. If it were, I'd think you
were sunk. Since its not, the penetration may not be that deep. How
thick is the thing? How much room you got for sanding? You may be able
to sand off the darkened layer and start over.

bob g.