William Wells

Default wood inlaying tools?

Where can I find some wood inlaying tools?

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:17:15 GMT, "William Wells"
wrote:

Where can I find some wood inlaying tools?

Better toolshops.

_But_ you need to either make your own, or prepare for some serious
shocks on the pricing. Most of these things are hand-made, pretty
much as one-offs and you're paying accordingly. A Holtey purfling
cutter is a joy to behold, but it ain't cheap...

There are cheap inlay tools around (try somewhere more musical) but
the quality of many of them is diabolical.

I'd suggest some basic metalworking (but I would, wouldn't I 8-) )
With the aid of a few "beyond hope" pre-war chisels or a bar of O-1
steel and the simplest of gas torches, you can grind and harden pretty
most all of the main tools.

--
Smert' spamionam
patriarch

Andy Dingley wrote in
:

wrote:

Where can I find some wood inlaying tools?

Better toolshops.

_But_ you need to either make your own, or prepare for some serious
shocks on the pricing. Most of these things are hand-made, pretty
much as one-offs and you're paying accordingly. A Holtey purfling
cutter is a joy to behold, but it ain't cheap...

There are cheap inlay tools around (try somewhere more musical) but
the quality of many of them is diabolical.

I'd suggest some basic metalworking (but I would, wouldn't I 8-) )
With the aid of a few "beyond hope" pre-war chisels or a bar of O-1
steel and the simplest of gas torches, you can grind and harden pretty
most all of the main tools.

How about a good written, or web, reference on inlay technique?

I've been wanting to take a class, but not getting the time budgeted...

Patriarch
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:26:00 GMT, patriarch
calmly ranted:

How about a good written, or web, reference on inlay technique?

I've been wanting to take a class, but not getting the time budgeted...

Do you read late at night? Libraries are great sources
for books on our interests.

Tools: Freehand cutters can be made by taping a pair of
xacto knives together with a small spacer between, then
fitting them into a drilled dowel. The trick is plowing
out the material at a precise depth. Router bits do that,
or make your own mini #71/271 with a paper clip for narrow
work. heh

Quickies:

David Marks did an advanced episode on wood inlay
complete with sand-shading the pieces. www.diynet.com
(No, I wasn't talking about the spice rack; it was the
serving tray.) I

FWW had an interesting article on epoxy inlay a few years back.

Inlay.com has the best online tutorial I've seen, a reprint
of an old 20th century book.
http://www.inlay.com/marquetry/wood_inlay_part1.html

www.marquetry.org is another interesting site. I decided quite
a few years back that I didn't have the patience (and light
touch) to do marquetry. Those veneers are like balsa wood.
But I still like inlay, marquetry, and intarsia.

www.Intarsia.com might be of interest to you, too.

And don't forget Doug Stowes books. He's done one or two
inlays. http://www.dougstowe.com

The more we gripe, * http://www.diversify.com/stees.html
the longer God makes us live. * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

charlie b

For fine straight line inlaying Michael Fortune made a
simple tool from a card scraper. Go here to see the tool,
the way it works and some info on making your own
line inlay strips.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/Inlaying1.html

charlie b

patriarch

charlie b wrote in
:

For fine straight line inlaying Michael Fortune made a
simple tool from a card scraper. Go here to see the tool,
the way it works and some info on making your own
line inlay strips.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/Inlaying1.html

charlie b

Thank you, and Larry, for the resources! I'll start with something simple,
before moving to the Art Deco style things to which I aspire.

I go to these quilt shows with my wife, and come back with SO many ideas.
If I could just finish a project now and then.

Patriarch
Andy Dingley

wrote:

How about a good written, or web, reference on inlay technique?

Zachary Taylor, "Decorative Wood Inlay"

--
Smert' spamionam
patriarch

Andy Dingley wrote in
:

wrote:

How about a good written, or web, reference on inlay technique?

Zachary Taylor, "Decorative Wood Inlay"

Thank you, kind sir. I'll put that one on the list, too.

Patriarch