Larry Jaques

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:26:00 GMT, patriarch
calmly ranted:

How about a good written, or web, reference on inlay technique?

I've been wanting to take a class, but not getting the time budgeted...

Do you read late at night? Libraries are great sources
for books on our interests.

Tools: Freehand cutters can be made by taping a pair of
xacto knives together with a small spacer between, then
fitting them into a drilled dowel. The trick is plowing
out the material at a precise depth. Router bits do that,
or make your own mini #71/271 with a paper clip for narrow
work. heh

Quickies:

David Marks did an advanced episode on wood inlay
complete with sand-shading the pieces. www.diynet.com
(No, I wasn't talking about the spice rack; it was the
serving tray.) I

FWW had an interesting article on epoxy inlay a few years back.

Inlay.com has the best online tutorial I've seen, a reprint
of an old 20th century book.
http://www.inlay.com/marquetry/wood_inlay_part1.html

www.marquetry.org is another interesting site. I decided quite
a few years back that I didn't have the patience (and light
touch) to do marquetry. Those veneers are like balsa wood.
But I still like inlay, marquetry, and intarsia.

www.Intarsia.com might be of interest to you, too.

And don't forget Doug Stowes books. He's done one or two
inlays. http://www.dougstowe.com

The more we gripe, * http://www.diversify.com/stees.html
the longer God makes us live. * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts