Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rocker Update

For those following, my previous description of the rockers-to-legs fit may have been confusing, as I described it as somewhat compound angle mating. Got the 4 rockers shaped. Did some alignments and cut the legs to almost fit the rocker's profile.... still needs a bit of tweaking to fit better.

Leg tenons: I will make 2 tenons, from the one big one, on each back leg, hence each back leg will attach to the rockers at 2 points. The front legs will attach with one tenon.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Two rockers on each side will sandwich the leg tenons on that side. Each rocker will have half the mortise, to accept the leg tenons.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
In this pics you can see I still need to tweak the curved fit.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Did a dry fit and the rocker is balanced well (this was a concern), it rocks nicely and is comfortable.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Cypress is soft, so my arm/leg-to-seat joints and the back legs-to-seat joints are more robust, they are Maloof joints, they lock together. These Maloof joint assemblies will have to be done all together, along with the assembly of the top backrest rail and the backrest slats. There is no way to do these chair assemblies AND the typical rocker assemblies at the same time.. That's why I'll use the sandwich mortise and tenon assembly of the rockers, separate from the chair frame assembly.

Because of the unusual assembly, long with the extra bulk I assumed I needed, I was concerned with the finished balance of the chair. I'm very pleased the balance (center of gravity at rest) is pretty much perfect. Whew!

With these pics, I hope this explanation and understanding is better than before.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Additionally, with the arm rests angled, the arm rest attachment to the back leg/style is the Maloof joint, also, another assembly aspect contributing to the necessary separate attachment of the rockers.

Rocker dovetail jig Jerry Woodworking 6 March 16th 05 10:20 PM
rocker switch Choreboy Electronics Repair 6 February 25th 05 11:37 PM
Combined dimmer/rocker twin switch where? Sam UK diy 14 November 27th 04 07:06 PM
Dory Rocker. Bob Nerup Woodworking 1 October 21st 04 06:23 PM
gliding rocker chair plans yobosaeyo Woodworking 0 August 7th 03 11:36 PM