Dan Cullimore

Default small salvage gloat

Just salvaged about six 2-3 ft. long pieces of 6x6 redwood. Used as
posts at one time: got a few coats o' paint, a little bit o' rot at
the extremeties, coupla' nails, but otherwise looks like pretty good
heart, and probably old growth too. Very pretty red. Just gotta
figure out how to use it. Any ideas?

Dan
patriarch

jo4hn wrote in
ink.net:

snip

Aaaaarrrrggh! Would have loved to lay hands on the fencing or any
other redwood. It cleans up beautifully. I use it in making
outdoorsy style furnitu benches, tables, barbeque caddy (soon).
Finish with BLO and a few coats of poly for protection. Nice stuff.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Yes, it does, but not this stuff. It was too far gone, and was just
crumbling. Not really good quality to begin with, either.

We occaisionally get the opportunity to salvage portions of redwood decks
and such being replaced. I've seen some very nice things made with the
scroungings.

Patriarch
David Hall

jo4hn wrote in message link.net...
patriarch wrote:

(Dan Cullimore) wrote in
om:

Just salvaged about six 2-3 ft. long pieces of 6x6 redwood. Used as
posts at one time: got a few coats o' paint, a little bit o' rot at
the extremeties, coupla' nails, but otherwise looks like pretty good
heart, and probably old growth too. Very pretty red. Just gotta
figure out how to use it. Any ideas?

Dan

Gee, Dan. We just paid some guy to haul off the 200' ft of redwood fence
we had replaced. Wish I'd known you were looking! ;-)

Of course, it was 28 years old, and most of the posts didn't need pulling,
so much as a gentle leaning on them....

Patriarch

Aaaaarrrrggh! Would have loved to lay hands on the fencing or any other
redwood. It cleans up beautifully. I use it in making outdoorsy style
furnitu benches, tables, barbeque caddy (soon). Finish with BLO and
a few coats of poly for protection. Nice stuff.
mahalo,
jo4hn

I agree with you Jo4hn. I salvaged a number of redwood 2x4s from a
repair job to my mother's deck. These were various railing and upright
pieces. After planing off that awful "redwood stain" paint and cutting
off the rot on the exposed ends I have some beautiful wood. I have
resawn and made some boxes (that won't see hard use since this is soft
wood) that are beautiful. I find that shellac looks good as does
danish oil. Nice wood - I have never understood painting it with that
"stain". I haven't yet been able to bring myself to use it for
utilitarian outdoor furniture

Dave Hall

Dan Cullimore

(David Hall) wrote in message . com...
jo4hn wrote in message link.net...

(snipt script)

Aaaaarrrrggh! Would have loved to lay hands on the fencing or any other
redwood. It cleans up beautifully. I use it in making outdoorsy style
furnitu benches, tables, barbeque caddy (soon). Finish with BLO and
a few coats of poly for protection. Nice stuff.
mahalo,
jo4hn

I agree with you Jo4hn. I salvaged a number of redwood 2x4s from a
repair job to my mother's deck. These were various railing and upright
pieces. After planing off that awful "redwood stain" paint and cutting
off the rot on the exposed ends I have some beautiful wood. I have
resawn and made some boxes (that won't see hard use since this is soft
wood) that are beautiful. I find that shellac looks good as does
danish oil. Nice wood - snip I haven't yet been able to bring myself to use it for
utilitarian outdoor furniture

Dave Hall

I could get some nice small boxes out of these 6xs. I'm also planning
to build my first boat this winter--solo or tandem canoe--and thought
some of the redwood would look nice as an accent. Nothing fancy, just
for color. Any thoughts on how that would work? Will likely use
okume marine ply for the most of it. Given that redwood is so soft,
I'm wondering if it would take well to the sometimes un-gentle
treatment canoes must live with. Anyone with experience regarding
this?

I have never understood painting it with that
"stain".

I always thought that redwood "stain" was an imitation of the real
stuff, but I know lots of people paint their redwood with it.
Personally, Dave, I'm with you; I find it pretty ugly.

Dan
David Hall

SNIP
[...]

I think that the redwood is painted with that "stain" after a couple
of years because if left outside to weather, redwood becomes
"greywood" pretty fast and might as well be weathered treated pine. Of
course after "staining" your redwood it might as well be redwood
"stained" treated pine . As to the canoe, the redwood trim will
dent, but obviously will hold up to some abuse since it is regularly
used for decks and outdoor patio furniture - both of which see some
use, wear & tear. I assume that it will need properly finished and
regularly refinished to keep from becoming the weathered "greywood"
discussed above

Dave Hall