Old March 7th 20, 04:03 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Update on Chestnut Trees

5 tress are sprouting leaves. 3 other trees look like they are alive, but no sprouting leaves, yet. Couldn't find 2 other trees... cows probably trampled them.

What is it? State surplus auction has a "something" they labeled as woodworking equipment. Looks similar to an old school desk.... top image on page 117. Not uncommon for them to mislabel stuff. I'm curious as to what it actually is.
https://www.doa.la.gov/lpaa/auction/...rch%202020.pdf

Sonny

Old March 7th 20, 04:29 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 6 Mar 2020 20:03:36 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

5 tress are sprouting leaves. 3 other trees look like they are alive, but no sprouting leaves, yet. Couldn't find 2 other trees... cows probably trampled them.

What is it? State surplus auction has a "something" they labeled as woodworking equipment. Looks similar to an old school desk.... top image on page 117. Not uncommon for them to mislabel stuff. I'm curious as to what it actually is.
https://www.doa.la.gov/lpaa/auction/...rch%202020.pdf

Looks like a pile of medical, perhaps OR, equipment to me.
Old March 7th 20, 05:22 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny on Fri, 6 Mar 2020 20:03:36 -0800 (PST)
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
5 tress are sprouting leaves. 3 other trees look like they are alive, but no sprouting leaves, yet. Couldn't find 2 other trees... cows probably trampled them.

What is it? State surplus auction has a "something" they labeled as woodworking equipment. Looks similar to an old school desk.... top image on page 117. Not uncommon for them to mislabel stuff. I'm curious as to what it actually is.
https://www.doa.la.gov/lpaa/auction/...rch%202020.pdf

Without a closer examination, to me it looks like it could be a
paper "guillotine" for cutting paper to size, cleaning up the edges of
textblocks, or similar.
--
pyotr filipivich
Old March 7th 20, 09:16 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

5 tress are sprouting leaves. 3 other trees look like they are alive, but no sprouting leaves, yet. Couldn't find 2 other trees... cows probably trampled them.

What is it? State surplus auction has a "something" they labeled as woodworking equipment. Looks similar to an old school desk.... top image on page 117. Not uncommon for them to mislabel stuff. I'm curious as to what it actually is.
https://www.doa.la.gov/lpaa/auction/...rch%202020.pdf

Sonny

Looks like a nice Browne and Boggs shear with infeed and outfeed
tables. Might not be a B&B - but definitely a sheet metal shear - foot
operated.
Old March 7th 20, 09:17 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 06 Mar 2020 21:22:19 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Sonny on Fri, 6 Mar 2020 20:03:36 -0800 (PST)
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
5 tress are sprouting leaves. 3 other trees look like they are alive, but no sprouting leaves, yet. Couldn't find 2 other trees... cows probably trampled them.

What is it? State surplus auction has a "something" they labeled as woodworking equipment. Looks similar to an old school desk.... top image on page 117. Not uncommon for them to mislabel stuff. I'm curious as to what it actually is.
https://www.doa.la.gov/lpaa/auction/...rch%202020.pdf

Without a closer examination, to me it looks like it could be a
paper "guillotine" for cutting paper to size, cleaning up the edges of
textblocks, or similar.

Close - it's a sheet metal shear

Old March 7th 20, 10:28 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

5 tress are sprouting leaves. 3 other trees look like they are alive, but no sprouting leaves, yet. Couldn't find 2 other trees... cows probably trampled them.

What is it? State surplus auction has a "something" they labeled as woodworking equipment. Looks similar to an old school desk.... top image on page 117. Not uncommon for them to mislabel stuff. I'm curious as to what it actually is.
https://www.doa.la.gov/lpaa/auction/...rch%202020.pdf

Sonny

Looks like a nice Browne and Boggs shear with infeed and outfeed
tables. Might not be a B&B - but definitely a sheet metal shear - foot
operated.

I had decided it was more likely sheet metal related than wood related
because I couldn't see foot pressure doing much to a sheet of wood -
but I really want to see the backside and under the deck ;-)
Old March 7th 20, 10:34 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

5 tress are sprouting leaves. 3 other trees look like they are alive, but no sprouting leaves, yet. Couldn't find 2 other trees... cows probably trampled them.

What is it? State surplus auction has a "something" they labeled as woodworking equipment. Looks similar to an old school desk.... top image on page 117. Not uncommon for them to mislabel stuff. I'm curious as to what it actually is.
https://www.doa.la.gov/lpaa/auction/...rch%202020.pdf

Sonny

Looks like a nice Browne and Boggs shear with infeed and outfeed
tables. Might not be a B&B - but definitely a sheet metal shear - foot
operated.

I had decided it was more likely sheet metal related than wood related
because I couldn't see foot pressure doing much to a sheet of wood -
but I really want to see the backside and under the deck ;-)

On second thought, the wood decks make it more likely to be a paper
cutter than a sheet metal tool.
Old March 7th 20, 11:57 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

5 tress are sprouting leaves. 3 other trees look like they are alive, but no sprouting leaves, yet. Couldn't find 2 other trees... cows probably trampled them.

What is it? State surplus auction has a "something" they labeled as woodworking equipment. Looks similar to an old school desk.... top image on page 117. Not uncommon for them to mislabel stuff. I'm curious as to what it actually is.
https://www.doa.la.gov/lpaa/auction/...rch%202020.pdf

Sonny

Looks like a nice Browne and Boggs shear with infeed and outfeed
tables. Might not be a B&B - but definitely a sheet metal shear - foot
operated.

Couldn't find the exact one, but here are a few samples :

http://tinyurl.com/suy6hft

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/clas...l.aspx?id=2063

http://tinyurl.com/rmatjg3

John T.

Old March 7th 20, 03:16 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

5 tress are sprouting leaves. 3 other trees look like they are alive, but no sprouting leaves, yet. Couldn't find 2 other trees... cows probably trampled them.

What is it? State surplus auction has a "something" they labeled as woodworking equipment. Looks similar to an old school desk.... top image on page 117. Not uncommon for them to mislabel stuff. I'm curious as to what it actually is.
https://www.doa.la.gov/lpaa/auction/...rch%202020.pdf

Sonny

Looks like a nice Browne and Boggs shear with infeed and outfeed
tables. Might not be a B&B - but definitely a sheet metal shear - foot
operated.

I had decided it was more likely sheet metal related than wood related
because I couldn't see foot pressure doing much to a sheet of wood -
but I really want to see the backside and under the deck ;-)

The only backside pic is on page 116, the previous pic, but the image is at a distance. Can't see anything close up. Sheet metal shear is likely correct. Could have used it a few months ago when making copper hinges. Went to a local metal shop and they cut and bent the 4 strips for $20. Two 16" "piano" hinges were made. The hinges pins are #4 (or #6, can't recall) copper wire. Worked out pretty well.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

As to the shear machine, the cast iron legs caught my eye. I wonder if they could be re-purposed for making a stand for a foot-petal 20" grinding stone. I like old tools and have the stone, but no petal-stand apparatus.

Sonny
Old March 7th 20, 07:01 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Clare Snyder on Sat, 07 Mar 2020 04:17:05 -0500
wrote:

Sonny on Fri, 6 Mar 2020 20:03:36 -0800 (PST)
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
5 tress are sprouting leaves. 3 other trees look like they are alive, but no sprouting leaves, yet. Couldn't find 2 other trees... cows probably trampled them.

What is it? State surplus auction has a "something" they labeled as woodworking equipment. Looks similar to an old school desk.... top image on page 117. Not uncommon for them to mislabel stuff. I'm curious as to what it actually is.
https://www.doa.la.gov/lpaa/auction/...rch%202020.pdf

Without a closer examination, to me it looks like it could be a
paper "guillotine" for cutting paper to size, cleaning up the edges of
textblocks, or similar.

Close - it's a sheet metal shear

That was my second guess. That or a sheet metal break.

Shows you what I have as a major interest, and it isn't sheet
metal work B-)
--
pyotr filipivich

Chestnut Update Sonny Woodworking 13 May 15th 19 06:16 AM
Turning Chestnut Steve A Woodturning 2 November 18th 05 01:55 AM
Wormy Chestnut Countertop? Gallagher Woodworking 1 May 2nd 05 08:16 PM
Old chestnut... which screws do you recommend ? Colin Wilson UK diy 2 December 13th 04 03:47 AM
Chestnut on the way back?? Bay Area Dave Woodworking 3 June 9th 04 08:11 PM