Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Chairs with turned legs leave marks on wood floor

I kind of like the old-style spindle-back Windsor chairs, but only some of
them come with bevel-cut (thus planar floor-parallel) feet; others have a hard
steel button in the middle, or just hold the turned leg end angled against the floor.

Without drilling into the center of the feet (they're tapered, it's hard to jig up
for a coaxial bore) how can I attach feet that spread the pressure so my floor doesn't
show tracks?

Most gliders either take a center-spike connection (nail into endgrain: not nice) and
have small tilt freedom, so won't suffice.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, January 15, 2020 at 3:48:29 AM UTC-6, whit3rd wrote:
I kind of like the old-style spindle-back Windsor chairs, but only some of
them come with bevel-cut (thus planar floor-parallel) feet; others have a hard
steel button in the middle, or just hold the turned leg end angled against the floor.

Without drilling into the center of the feet (they're tapered, it's hard to jig up
for a coaxial bore) how can I attach feet that spread the pressure so my floor doesn't
show tracks?

Most gliders either take a center-spike connection (nail into endgrain: not nice) and
have small tilt freedom, so won't suffice.

Cut the feet parallel to the floor by eyeballing the cut.... doesn't have to be a perfect cut. Apply stickum felt pads, available at Walmart, to the feet.

Be careful what you buy at Walmart. Get the pads, not the sliders. Some of those pad packages are labeled as (name brand-like) sliders.

As for as those nailed metal buttons, when reupholstering, I always recommend removing them and installing the pads or sliders, depending on the type (wood, carpet, tile) flooring.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

I kind of like the old-style spindle-back Windsor chairs, but only some of
them come with bevel-cut (thus planar floor-parallel) feet; others have a hard
steel button in the middle, or just hold the turned leg end angled against the floor.
Without drilling into the center of the feet (they're tapered, it's hard to jig up
for a coaxial bore) how can I attach feet that spread the pressure so my floor doesn't
show tracks?
Most gliders either take a center-spike connection (nail into endgrain: not nice) and
have small tilt freedom, so won't suffice.

Cut the feet parallel to the floor by eyeballing the cut....
doesn't have to be a perfect cut. Apply stickum felt pads.
Sonny

+ 1.
I'd put the chair on a good flat work table and pencil-mark the line
to take off the bare minimum. Then power-sand or rasp close to the
line - test for wobble - adjust - sand smooth.
Stick on some quality furniture pads :

http://tinyurl.com/vmyeedf

For an area subject to frequent wet-mopping - perhaps seal
the end grain with some penetrating/thinned finish ?
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2020 3:48 AM, whit3rd wrote:
I kind of like the old-style spindle-back Windsor chairs, but only some of
them come with bevel-cut (thus planar floor-parallel) feet; others have a hard
steel button in the middle, or just hold the turned leg end angled against the floor.

Without drilling into the center of the feet (they're tapered, it's hard to jig up
for a coaxial bore) how can I attach feet that spread the pressure so my floor doesn't
show tracks?

Most gliders either take a center-spike connection (nail into endgrain: not nice) and
have small tilt freedom, so won't suffice.

Some glides feet have a cup on top that the leg fits down into. It adds
a decorative touch at the feet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GQKYSH...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 1/15/2020 3:48 AM, whit3rd wrote:
I kind of like the old-style spindle-back Windsor chairs, but only some of
them come with bevel-cut (thus planar floor-parallel) feet; others have a hard
steel button in the middle, or just hold the turned leg end angled against the floor.

Without drilling into the center of the feet (they're tapered, it's hard to jig up
for a coaxial bore) how can I attach feet that spread the pressure so my floor doesn't
show tracks?

Most gliders either take a center-spike connection (nail into endgrain: not nice) and
have small tilt freedom, so won't suffice.

Some glides feet have a cup on top that the leg fits down into. It adds
a decorative touch at the feet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GQKYSH..._3?psc=1&pd_rd
_i=B073GQKYSH&pd_rd_w=P90oz&pf_rd_p=c83c55b0-5d97-454a-a592-a891098a9
709&pd_rd_wg=RpMhK&pf_rd_r=ERK17VX2XJH72GZCB1RH&pd _rd_r=3f3ed388-4d64
-4b80-b457-3395a25cde37&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFYUjc2 S1RGOUxO
VVMmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA5MTA4MjAxRkhEQlExM0NWR1hTJm VuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9Q
TA0NzI4MDEzVk41SkhCVFJGU1JMJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV 0YWlsX3RoZW1hdGljJm
FjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1 ZQ==

+1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GQKYSH

Posted to rec.woodworking

I had a set of eight such chairs that all needed tweaking, so I built a
jig with some scrap wood that let me use a router to level the feet. It
was just a square of ply with some holes cut at the feet, and two pieces
of pine to support it just above the feet (they rested on the
cross-braces, chair feet-side-up). The router had a straight bit with a
template follower (just to avoid cutting into the plywood by surprise).

For each chair I flipped it onto the bench, clamped on the jig, and
routed the four feet.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 01:48:26 -0800 (PST), whit3rd
wrote:

I kind of like the old-style spindle-back Windsor chairs, but only some of
them come with bevel-cut (thus planar floor-parallel) feet; others have a hard
steel button in the middle, or just hold the turned leg end angled against the floor.

Without drilling into the center of the feet (they're tapered, it's hard to jig up
for a coaxial bore) how can I attach feet that spread the pressure so my floor doesn't
show tracks?

Most gliders either take a center-spike connection (nail into endgrain: not nice) and
have small tilt freedom, so won't suffice.

Try Forever Furniture Glides. Here is a source:

.https://www.sportys.com/toolshop/forever-glides-for-wood-1-in.html