Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Chairs with turned legs leave marks on wood floor

On Wednesday, January 15, 2020 at 3:48:29 AM UTC-6, whit3rd wrote:
I kind of like the old-style spindle-back Windsor chairs, but only some of
them come with bevel-cut (thus planar floor-parallel) feet; others have a hard
steel button in the middle, or just hold the turned leg end angled against the floor.

Without drilling into the center of the feet (they're tapered, it's hard to jig up
for a coaxial bore) how can I attach feet that spread the pressure so my floor doesn't
show tracks?

Most gliders either take a center-spike connection (nail into endgrain: not nice) and
have small tilt freedom, so won't suffice.

Cut the feet parallel to the floor by eyeballing the cut.... doesn't have to be a perfect cut. Apply stickum felt pads, available at Walmart, to the feet.

Be careful what you buy at Walmart. Get the pads, not the sliders. Some of those pad packages are labeled as (name brand-like) sliders.

As for as those nailed metal buttons, when reupholstering, I always recommend removing them and installing the pads or sliders, depending on the type (wood, carpet, tile) flooring.

Sonny