Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Air filtration

Would appreciate comments from anyone who owns an air filtration
system.

I am looking at the Powermatic PM1200 and the Jet AFS1000B.

Thanks for any comments.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 06:04:33 -0600, swalker wrote:

Would appreciate comments from anyone who owns an air filtration
system.

I am looking at the Powermatic PM1200 and the Jet AFS1000B.

Thanks for any comments.

I have the Jet, it works well. Mounted to the ceiling, I made a
pattern of the holes so I could mount the tabs to the ceiling joists.
Then hanging it up is a one man job.
Posted to rec.woodworking

swalker wrote:

Would appreciate comments from anyone who owns an air filtration
system.

I am looking at the Powermatic PM1200 and the Jet AFS1000B.

Thanks for any comments.

They keep the shop cleaner by catching dust before it settles on your
stuff. I like mine for just that. They don't make the air any safer,
you still need your dust mask and dust collector to do that.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 03:16:05 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

swalker wrote:

Would appreciate comments from anyone who owns an air filtration
system.

I am looking at the Powermatic PM1200 and the Jet AFS1000B.

Thanks for any comments.

They keep the shop cleaner by catching dust before it settles on your
stuff. I like mine for just that. They don't make the air any safer,
you still need your dust mask and dust collector to do that.

If your dust collection is working right, is there a need? I'd prefer
to catch dust at its source rather than after it gets into the air.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, November 25, 2019 at 6:04:38 AM UTC-6, swalker wrote:
Would appreciate comments from anyone who owns an air filtration
system.

I am looking at the Powermatic PM1200 and the Jet AFS1000B.

Thanks for any comments.

IF you can, duct the discharge from the DC outside your building. I built a small shed to house the discharge from pipe, even put a half moon on the door. If you do duct outside, do not put a catch bucket in the little building, the back pressure will cut your thought put. Trust me on this one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

swalker wrote:

Would appreciate comments from anyone who owns an air filtration
system.

I am looking at the Powermatic PM1200 and the Jet AFS1000B.

Thanks for any comments.

They keep the shop cleaner by catching dust before it settles on your
stuff. I like mine for just that. They don't make the air any safer,
you still need your dust mask and dust collector to do that.

If your dust collection is working right, is there a need? I'd prefer
to catch dust at its source rather than after it gets into the air.

Dust collection can't get it all. My vac connects directly to my ROS. I still get airborne
dust. I upgraded the dust collection system on my miter saw. It collects a lot more than
the stock chute, but you know how messy a miter saw is. The DC on the split fence on
my router table works great, but not 100%. Then there's hand sanding. Even with a box
fan setup you'll never catch it all.

That "settles" it. Dust will find a place to land. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:

Then there's hand sanding. Even with a box
fan setup you'll never catch it all.

A downdraft table works very well for this application.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 03:22:02 -0800 (PST), "Dr. Deb"
wrote:

On Monday, November 25, 2019 at 6:04:38 AM UTC-6, swalker wrote:
Would appreciate comments from anyone who owns an air filtration
system.

I am looking at the Powermatic PM1200 and the Jet AFS1000B.

Thanks for any comments.

IF you can, duct the discharge from the DC outside your building. I built a small shed to house the discharge from pipe, even put a half moon on the door. If you do duct outside, do not put a catch bucket in the little building, the back pressure will cut your thought put. Trust me on this one.

While sending everything out of the shop would be ideal it doesn't
work well in a heated and air conditioned shop.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

swalker wrote:

Would appreciate comments from anyone who owns an air filtration
system.

I am looking at the Powermatic PM1200 and the Jet AFS1000B.

Thanks for any comments.

They keep the shop cleaner by catching dust before it settles on your
stuff. I like mine for just that. They don't make the air any safer,
you still need your dust mask and dust collector to do that.

Puckdropper

I absolutely agree with this.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 8:52:05 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:

Then there's hand sanding. Even with a box
fan setup you'll never catch it all.

A downdraft table works very well for this application.

That works if the project, or parts thereof, fit on the table. Beds,
cabinets, bookcases...not so much.

I don't build a lot of small stuff. I'm more of a "full size" kind
of guy. ;-)

https://i.imgur.com/80jaux9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GTDm9VG.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

swalker wrote:

[...]

I don't seem to get much fine dust. The miter saw makes a mess, sure,
but it's throws around pretty large particles and they don't go far. I
have a tent that catches almost all of it.
https://www.mcfeelys.com/fastcap-chopshop-saw-hood-qty-1.html

That "settles" it. Dust will find a place to land. ;-)

But a room air filter isn't going to even see the large stuff. It'll
land close to the tool. The fine stuff is taken away with good tool
connected dust collection.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

swalker wrote:

[...]

A tent like that would take up half my shop!

I spent $600 on the Bosch Glide saw because I don't have room for the slide bars that hang off
the rear of regular sliding miter saws, nevermind a huge tent behind it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/26/2019 6:42 PM, swalker wrote:
On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 03:22:02 -0800 (PST), "Dr. Deb"

Thanks for any comments.

IF you can, duct the discharge from the DC outside your building. I built a small shed to house the discharge from pipe, even put a half moon on the door. If you do duct outside, do not put a catch bucket in the little building, the back pressure will cut your thought put. Trust me on this one.

While sending everything out of the shop would be ideal it doesn't
work well in a heated and air conditioned shop.

Best choice might be to take up photography...

--
Jack
If your cup is only half full, you probably need a different bra...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 08:33:21 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 11/26/2019 6:42 PM, swalker wrote:
On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 03:22:02 -0800 (PST), "Dr. Deb"

Thanks for any comments.

IF you can, duct the discharge from the DC outside your building. I built a small shed to house the discharge from pipe, even put a half moon on the door. If you do duct outside, do not put a catch bucket in the little building, the back pressure will cut your thought put. Trust me on this one.

While sending everything out of the shop would be ideal it doesn't
work well in a heated and air conditioned shop.

Best choice might be to take up photography...

I have been feeding the vortex created when I bought a lathe a few
years ago. Nothing left in the budget for photography.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

swalker wrote:

[...]

But the SMCS throws off big stuff (and everywhere, granted). The big
stuff doesn't get into the air, where the room filter could get it.
The small stuff is dangerous and fairly easily collected at the
source.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/27/2019 4:57 PM, swalker wrote:
On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 08:33:21 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 11/26/2019 6:42 PM, swalker wrote:
On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 03:22:02 -0800 (PST), "Dr. Deb"

Thanks for any comments.

IF you can, duct the discharge from the DC outside your building. I built a small shed to house the discharge from pipe, even put a half moon on the door. If you do duct outside, do not put a catch bucket in the little building, the back pressure will cut your thought put. Trust me on this one.

While sending everything out of the shop would be ideal it doesn't
work well in a heated and air conditioned shop.

Best choice might be to take up photography...

I have been feeding the vortex created when I bought a lathe a few
years ago. Nothing left in the budget for photography.

At least with (digital) photography, you guys don't need to invest in
something like this to feel safe:

https://tinyurl.com/rm5thwz

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2019-11-25 12:04:33 +0000, swalker said:

Would appreciate comments from anyone who owns an air filtration
system.

I am looking at the Powermatic PM1200 and the Jet AFS1000B.

Thanks for any comments.

I have the Jet, works and the filter is an industry standard type

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 07:46:51 -0800, Ralph E Lindberg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 09:27:59 -0500, Jack wrote:

[...]

Have to wonder how hot that would be to work in.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/28/2019 1:15 PM, swalker wrote:
[...]

Small price to pay to be safe from all that nasty wood dust.

--
Jack