Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Air filtration

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 22:17:02 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 12:03:19 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 04:16:19 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 12:02:39 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 03:16:05 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

swalker wrote:

Would appreciate comments from anyone who owns an air filtration
system.

I am looking at the Powermatic PM1200 and the Jet AFS1000B.

Thanks for any comments.

They keep the shop cleaner by catching dust before it settles on your
stuff. I like mine for just that. They don't make the air any safer,
you still need your dust mask and dust collector to do that.

If your dust collection is working right, is there a need? I'd prefer
to catch dust at its source rather than after it gets into the air.

Dust collection can't get it all. My vac connects directly to my ROS. I still get airborne
dust. I upgraded the dust collection system on my miter saw. It collects a lot more than
the stock chute, but you know how messy a miter saw is. The DC on the split fence on
my router table works great, but not 100%. Then there's hand sanding. Even with a box
fan setup you'll never catch it all.

I don't seem to get much fine dust. The miter saw makes a mess, sure,
but it's throws around pretty large particles and they don't go far. I
have a tent that catches almost all of it.
https://www.mcfeelys.com/fastcap-chopshop-saw-hood-qty-1.html

That "settles" it. Dust will find a place to land. ;-)

A tent like that would take up half my shop!

I spent $600 on the Bosch Glide saw because I don't have room for the slide bars that hang off
the rear of regular sliding miter saws, nevermind a huge tent behind it.

But the SMCS throws off big stuff (and everywhere, granted). The big
stuff doesn't get into the air, where the room filter could get it.
The small stuff is dangerous and fairly easily collected at the
source.