Wyatt Wright

Default Woodsucker II vs. Oneida 2hp

I don't currently have dust collection. As I spend more time in the
shop and get ready to build kitchen cabinets, I can't put it off any
longer. I came close to buying one of the new canister types by Jet
or Delta, but have decided to do it right and buy a cyclone.

I have done quite a bit of research in this newsgroup and on the web
and have narrowed it down to the Oneida 2hp and the Woodsucker II.
I'm sure that either unit will offer excellent performance in my 2-car
garage shop.

I can't find a compelling reason to buy one over the other. The price
difference between these two units is small enough that it is not a
consideration. One thing that may matter is how loud the units are,
but I am unable to find decent stats.

I'm in the St. Louis area and don't know of a place where I can see
either of these units in action.

Thoughts, comments, experience are requested. Thanks.
JGS

Hi Wyatt,
When I bought my Oneida they sold as an option a muffler for the unit.
It could be added at anytime. I didn't buy it as I find the rumble of the
blower is less annoying than the noise generated by any of the tools it
services. YMMV. Cheers, JG

Wyatt Wright wrote:

[...]

DarylRos

I can't find a compelling reason to buy one over the other. BRBR

I just got the Woodsucker, although it is not installed yet. I went with this
over the Oneida for de3sign reasons: it will handle the way ineed to send back
return air better. Although I have not yet assembled it, it is a heavy, very
sturdy series of parts. For sound deadening, I just came back from Lowe's, for
a length of insulated AC duct (8"), whcih Larry at Woodsucker says works well
for that purpose.

I did order my ductwork from Oneida though. Larry gave the name of a cheaper
place, whcih he says works well (can't recall right now), but Oneida has the
widest selection of parts you will ever see, and most of the machines needing
hookup are metric.

A friend got the Oneida, and had them design the ductwork, a handy service.

Also, check www.billpentz.com for more dust collector info. He reviewed
severral cyclons, and rated them both very highly.

I intend to write a review for my club newsletter, at www.liwoodworkers.org
(the Long Island Woodworkers Club) when I finish installing and and finish
testing it.
Wyatt Wright

On 07 Aug 2004 19:25:02 GMT, (DarylRos) wrote:

I can't find a compelling reason to buy one over the other. BRBR

I just got the Woodsucker, although it is not installed yet. I went with this
over the Oneida for de3sign reasons: it will handle the way ineed to send back
return air better. Although I have not yet assembled it, it is a heavy, very
sturdy series of parts. For sound deadening, I just came back from Lowe's, for
a length of insulated AC duct (8"), whcih Larry at Woodsucker says works well
for that purpose.

Where does the 8' duct go? From what I have read, most of the noise
from the Woodsucker is a result of the plastic bag.

Woodsucker says that the Oneida needs to be disassembled to be
cleaned. I assume that they are talking about the model with the
internal filter. Is that what your friend has? How does he like it.
If I go with Oneida, I doubt that I will get the internal filter.

thanks for the input.

I intend to write a review for my club newsletter, at www.liwoodworkers.org
(the Long Island Woodworkers Club) when I finish installing and and finish
testing it.

Steve Knight

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 08:14:10 -0400, JGS wrote:

Hi Wyatt,
When I bought my Oneida they sold as an option a muffler for the unit.
It could be added at anytime. I didn't buy it as I find the rumble of the
blower is less annoying than the noise generated by any of the tools it
services. YMMV. Cheers, JG

I agree I measured the sound levels and the dc was about 90dbs or so if I
remember right. most of the tools were atleast that or more.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

DarylRos

Where does the 8' duct go? From what I have read, most of the noise
from the Woodsucker is a result of the plastic bag. BRBR

The return air comes from above the filter. So I will run the insulated duct
from the return air through the wall, and then along the ceiling for around
10'.

I assume that they are talking about the model with the
internal filter. Is that what your friend has? How does he like it.
BRBR

Since I have to install mine outside, the internal filter would have been
ieasier, but I wanted no part of regular cleanings, especially in the winter.
My friend went with the external filter. he said Oneida told him thier
calculations showed he could keep the filter outside (in a shed) and the
leakage through the garage door would provide enough make up air. I assume they
know what they are talking about, but I wanted the return air back, since it
will otherwise take the warmed air in the winter out, and I would replace it
with cold outside air. That's why I went with the Woodsucker.

He also hasn't hooked his up yet, but it is a very impressive system.

Yet another friend is building his own cyclone, using Bill Pentz's design.

I would be they will all work well. The home built cyclone is for a much larger
pro shop, and will be powered by a 5 HP motor, so i don't think the systems
will be comparable.