Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Unusual table

A lot of wonderful antique furniture at the auction below, but
its the table, whose photo is at the 2nd link, that motivated me
to make this point. Anyone know what it is? If you see anything
you like, you can buy it at auction on Wednesday.

https://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin
/photopanel.cgi?listingid=3319350&category=0&zip=&k wd=

https://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/3319350/fp141.cgi

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
A lot of wonderful antique furniture at the auction below, but
its the table, whose photo is at the 2nd link, that motivated me
to make this point.Â* Anyone know what it is?Â* If you see anything
you like, you can buy it at auction on Wednesday.

https://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin
/photopanel.cgi?listingid=3319350&category=0&zip=&k wd=

https://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/3319350/fp141.cgi

Oops, the auction was yesterday, but you still might enjoy the
photos.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 1:05:23 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

https://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin
/photopanel.cgi?listingid=3319350&category=0&zip=&k wd=

Looks like a combination of the Windsor-Sheraton style of furniture. To have a spindle backing is odd for any table. The table top surface is low, more attuned to a (bed?) side table application. It's dainty, not robust.

I suspect it was built either for a specific (and unusual?) use or some craftsman was simply experimenting with combining different elements of design and this was the end product.

Otherwise, the only possible use I can think of is its a nursing table, placed next to a rocker, chair, bed for handy use when caring for a baby.

The owners/sellers may know its purpose/use.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 1:05:23 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

https://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin
/photopanel.cgi?listingid=3319350&category=0&zip=&k wd=

Looks like a combination of the Windsor-Sheraton style of furniture. To have a spindle backing is odd for any table. The table top surface is low, more attuned to a (bed?) side table application. It's dainty, not robust.

I think that's a thoughtful guess. I hadn't pictured it next to a
bed, but the cavities make a bit of sense in that context. I've
seen some tables designed to hide "booze", but I didn't see any
additional covers for the table, and the tables I've seen before
did a bit better job of hiding the contraband. I've never seen a
table with a spindle backing before either--but I think the style
is consistent with the style of some 19th century pieces. But
the base doesn't scream "fine furniture" to me. Nursing table is
a nice guess too, and I think the best one. I think the "airy"
style, makes the most sense for that. Good deducting!

Bill

I suspect it was built either for a specific (and unusual?) use or some craftsman was simply experimenting with combining different elements of design and this was the end product.

Otherwise, the only possible use I can think of is its a nursing table, placed next to a rocker, chair, bed for handy use when caring for a baby.

The owners/sellers may know its purpose/use.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 2:05:23 AM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
A lot of wonderful antique furniture at the auction below, but
its the table, whose photo is at the 2nd link, that motivated me
to make this point. Anyone know what it is? If you see anything
you like, you can buy it at auction on Wednesday.

https://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin
/photopanel.cgi?listingid=3319350&category=0&zip=&k wd=

https://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/3319350/fp141.cgi

My first thought was some type of game table with wells for the
game pieces/dice/stones/etc.

Obviously the spindles blow that idea out of the water.

Are the wells lined with felt or are they hard?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/17/2019 5:11 PM, Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:
On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 1:05:23 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

https://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin
/photopanel.cgi?listingid=3319350&category=0&zip=&k wd=

Looks like a combination of the Windsor-Sheraton style of furniture.
To have a spindle backing is odd for any table.Â*Â* The table top
surface is low, more attuned to a (bed?) side table application.Â* It's
dainty, not robust.

I think that's a thoughtful guess. I hadn't pictured it next to a bed,
but the cavities make a bit of sense in that context.Â* I've seen some
tables designed to hide "booze", but I didn't see any additional covers
for the table, and the tables I've seen before did a bit better job of
hiding the contraband. I've never seen a table with a spindle backing
before either--but I think the style is consistent with the style of
some 19th century pieces.Â* But the base doesn't scream "fine furniture"
to me.Â* Nursing table is a nice guess too, and I think the best one. I
think the "airy" style, makes the most sense for that.Â* Good deducting!

Bill

I suspect it was built either for a specific (and unusual?) use or
some craftsman was simply experimenting with combining different
elements of design and this was the end product.

Otherwise, the only possible use I can think of is its a nursing
table, placed next to a rocker, chair, bed for handy use when caring
for a baby.

The owners/sellers may know its purpose/use.

Would be interesting to know if they did have any further info -- it is
unusual, indeed.

I wondered if it could somehow be a dice-rolling catch basin with a game
board set on the top, perhaps. But, would definitely be a two-player
only and probably uncomfortable at that.

Unfortunately, it has a broken spindle at the left end as we face it in
the picture.

That's worth a posting to Fine Woodworking gurus or museum-type folks to
identify.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 2:05:23 AM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
A lot of wonderful antique furniture at the auction below, but
its the table, whose photo is at the 2nd link, that motivated me
to make this point. Anyone know what it is? If you see anything
you like, you can buy it at auction on Wednesday.

https://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin
/photopanel.cgi?listingid=3319350&category=0&zip=&k wd=

https://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/3319350/fp141.cgi

My first thought was some type of game table with wells for the
game pieces/dice/stones/etc.

Obviously the spindles blow that idea out of the water.

Are the wells lined with felt or are they hard?

I've never seen it in person and don't know anymore about it than
I can guess through the link/pic. I just found it a "curiosity".

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

That's worth a posting to Fine Woodworking gurus or museum-type
folks to identify.

I'm glad that some of you enjoyed it and I enjoyed sharing it
with you! I hereby surrender all control of the matter to you or
anyone else who is interested.

Cheers,
Bill