Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_91_] Bill[_91_] is offline

Default Unusual table

Sonny wrote:
On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 1:05:23 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

https://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin
/photopanel.cgi?listingid=3319350&category=0&zip=&k wd=

Looks like a combination of the Windsor-Sheraton style of furniture. To have a spindle backing is odd for any table. The table top surface is low, more attuned to a (bed?) side table application. It's dainty, not robust.

I think that's a thoughtful guess. I hadn't pictured it next to a
bed, but the cavities make a bit of sense in that context. I've
seen some tables designed to hide "booze", but I didn't see any
additional covers for the table, and the tables I've seen before
did a bit better job of hiding the contraband. I've never seen a
table with a spindle backing before either--but I think the style
is consistent with the style of some 19th century pieces. But
the base doesn't scream "fine furniture" to me. Nursing table is
a nice guess too, and I think the best one. I think the "airy"
style, makes the most sense for that. Good deducting!

Bill

I suspect it was built either for a specific (and unusual?) use or some craftsman was simply experimenting with combining different elements of design and this was the end product.

Otherwise, the only possible use I can think of is its a nursing table, placed next to a rocker, chair, bed for handy use when caring for a baby.

The owners/sellers may know its purpose/use.

Sonny