Eugene

Default 5" Random orbit sander operation

MH wrote:

I purchased a 5" PC 333VS for my wife to use while working on sanding
our dining room chairs and refinishing them - something she wanted to
do! It's great to have her in the garage with me - reduces my guilt.

I didn't own a small ROS sander and read this was the best of the
bunch. I set it up with the vac attached and a fresh sanding disk and
handed it to her to start sanding. It seemed to work well but the
disk didn't rotate, just seemed to vibrate. My 6" Bosch rotates while
it vibrates randomly so I'm not sure if the thing is working properly
or not. Can anyone tell me if it's working correctly or not?

Thanks.

it will spin as needed. If you push down on the sander it doesn't spin,
takes a light touch, rest the sander on the wood and just gently rest your
hand on top, just enough to hold it in place and it should start to spin
and pick up speed.

Vic Baron

The 333 has a slip clutch to prevent gouging the work when you put the
sander down. When you lift the sander, it will stop spinning but it will
vibrate. When you put it down on the wood, it will spin up. this is a good
thing.

It's a great ROS!

Vic

"MH" wrote in message
I purchased a 5" PC 333VS for my wife to use while working on sanding
our dining room chairs and refinishing them - something she wanted to
do! It's great to have her in the garage with me - reduces my guilt.

I didn't own a small ROS sander and read this was the best of the
bunch. I set it up with the vac attached and a fresh sanding disk and
handed it to her to start sanding. It seemed to work well but the
disk didn't rotate, just seemed to vibrate. My 6" Bosch rotates while
it vibrates randomly so I'm not sure if the thing is working properly
or not. Can anyone tell me if it's working correctly or not?

Thanks.

Leon

It may or may not spin. The question should be, is it removing material
properly? Is you wife pressing down too hard? Remind her to let the weight
of the sander do the work.

Vic Baron

Just in case I misunderstood - remove the sanding disc. Turn sander upside
down and turn it on. the pad should not be spinning. Apply pressure with
your finger in the middle of the pad - it should start spinning.

If it does not, there's a small rubber belt under the pad mechanism that may
be broken.

HTH,

Vic

.com...