Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Should I buy a Shopsmith scrollsaw Model 555272

I have a chance to purchase a used Shopsmith scrollsaw Model 555272.
It is the stand alone model

This is the very old model that Shopsmith no longer supports.
The saw does not have the conversion for blade replacement.

The asking price is $50 and if I can get the conversion kit from
Shopsmith for around $55, I would have over $100 invested into a
very old machine.

I have looked around the internet to see what others have said, and
in general it is a good saw, but being old and not supported with
parts, it can become just an anchor.

Also on the extreme chance that anyone has the manual for this, can
you let me know. I can order it from Shopsmith for about $10, but as
others have said it is a poorly reproduced (copy machine) copy.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 7:52:09 PM UTC-5, www.ttdown.com wrote:
I have a chance to purchase a used Shopsmith scrollsaw Model 555272.
It is the stand alone model

This is the very old model that Shopsmith no longer supports.
The saw does not have the conversion for blade replacement.

The asking price is $50 and if I can get the conversion kit from
Shopsmith for around $55, I would have over $100 invested into a
very old machine.

I have looked around the internet to see what others have said, and
in general it is a good saw, but being old and not supported with
parts, it can become just an anchor.

Also on the extreme chance that anyone has the manual for this, can
you let me know. I can order it from Shopsmith for about $10, but as
others have said it is a poorly reproduced (copy machine) copy.

Thanks

It all depends on whether you need a $100 tablesaw or not
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 5:49:19 AM UTC-5, Dr. Deb wrote:
On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 7:52:09 PM UTC-5, www.ttdown.com wrote:
I have a chance to purchase a used Shopsmith scrollsaw Model 555272.
It is the stand alone model

It all depends on whether you need a $100 tablesaw or not

I am guessing the better question is whether he needs a $105 SCROLLSAW. Tablesaws have nothing to do with his question. So, do you need, want a scrollsaw for the detailed intricate cutting it does? If so then get it. Tools breaking is not a huge problem in the world. Yes some do break. But generally its new ones. Not ancient old tools that have already been used hundreds of hours already. They are well broken in and have proven they are tough enough to handle their jobs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 8:52:09 PM UTC-4, www.ttdown.com wrote:
I have a chance to purchase a used Shopsmith scrollsaw Model 555272.
It is the stand alone model

This is the very old model that Shopsmith no longer supports.
The saw does not have the conversion for blade replacement.

The asking price is $50 and if I can get the conversion kit from
Shopsmith for around $55, I would have over $100 invested into a
very old machine.

I have looked around the internet to see what others have said, and
in general it is a good saw, but being old and not supported with
parts, it can become just an anchor.

Also on the extreme chance that anyone has the manual for this, can
you let me know. I can order it from Shopsmith for about $10, but as
others have said it is a poorly reproduced (copy machine) copy.

Thanks

Here's a couple of pages from the manual to get you started...

http://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/mainte...g--t17038.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 8:52:09 PM UTC-4, www.ttdown.com wrote:
I have a chance to purchase a used Shopsmith scrollsaw Model 555272.
It is the stand alone model

This is the very old model that Shopsmith no longer supports.
The saw does not have the conversion for blade replacement.

The asking price is $50 and if I can get the conversion kit from
Shopsmith for around $55, I would have over $100 invested into a
very old machine.

I have looked around the internet to see what others have said, and
in general it is a good saw, but being old and not supported with
parts, it can become just an anchor.

Also on the extreme chance that anyone has the manual for this, can
you let me know. I can order it from Shopsmith for about $10, but as
others have said it is a poorly reproduced (copy machine) copy.

Thanks

It's $23, but seems to be a decent copy...

https://www.ebay.com/i/382903614291