Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ne Project

I'm trying to get back into some woodworking. Since the great flood in
August of 2019 my potential customers have been replacing damaged
furniture with insurance money and I don't build to discounted values.

Anyway I'm adding a printer cabinet for our office and going a different
route this time.

I'm going with preprimed pine boards from HD and glued up yellow pine
panel blanks for shelves from the same.

I have cut up all of the preprimed boards and must say that I'm
impressed with the quality of the product. 1x8x8' boards were just
under $17 each and 2 will do it.

I will be painting the majority of it with Antique White GF Milk Paint
and the shelves will be stained some shade of brown.

This is my interpretation/design of a piece that I saw in a craft store.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/
Posted to rec.woodworking

A better link, I think.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/46813026674/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 4, 2019 at 12:24:46 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
I'm trying to get back into some woodworking. Since the great flood in
August of 2019 my potential customers have been replacing damaged
furniture with insurance money and I don't build to discounted values.

You must be one heck of an amateur meteorologist to predict a flood, and the rain causing it, 4 months in advance for Houston.

I'm going with preprimed pine boards from HD and glued up yellow pine
panel blanks for shelves from the same.

I have cut up all of the preprimed boards and must say that I'm
impressed with the quality of the product. 1x8x8' boards were just
under $17 each and 2 will do it.

5.33 board feet. $3.19 per board foot. I'm not up to date on wood pricing. Is that a good price for pine? I assume its Firsts and Seconds grade.
Posted to rec.woodworking

" writes:
On Thursday, April 4, 2019 at 12:24:46 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
I'm trying to get back into some woodworking. Since the great flood in
August of 2019 my potential customers have been replacing damaged
furniture with insurance money and I don't build to discounted values.

You must be one heck of an amateur meteorologist to predict a flood, and the rain causing it, 4 months in advance for Houston.

I'm going with preprimed pine boards from HD and glued up yellow pine
panel blanks for shelves from the same.

I have cut up all of the preprimed boards and must say that I'm
impressed with the quality of the product. 1x8x8' boards were just
under $17 each and 2 will do it.

5.33 board feet. $3.19 per board foot. I'm not up to date on wood pricing. Is that a good price for pine? I assume its Firsts and Seconds grade.

Aren't most of those preprimed pine boards made from fingerjointed narrower stock
like most paint-grade pine moulding?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 4, 2019 at 2:27:33 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
" writes:
[...]

If so, you need to be careful where you cut/rip it. Depending on how
well it was glued, you might run into issues if you cut too close to a
joint. BTDT

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/4/2019 1:14 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, April 4, 2019 at 12:24:46 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
I'm trying to get back into some woodworking. Since the great flood in
August of 2019 my potential customers have been replacing damaged
furniture with insurance money and I don't build to discounted values.

You must be one heck of an amateur meteorologist to predict a flood, and the rain causing it, 4 months in advance for Houston.

Oj jeez, It is not hard to predict flooding in Houston. But I hope I'm
wrong. LOL. Should have been the August 2017 Harvey flood event when
we got 50" of rain in 3 days.

I'm going with preprimed pine boards from HD and glued up yellow pine
panel blanks for shelves from the same.

I have cut up all of the preprimed boards and must say that I'm
impressed with the quality of the product. 1x8x8' boards were just
under $17 each and 2 will do it.

5.33 board feet. $3.19 per board foot. I'm not up to date on wood pricing. Is that a good price for pine? I assume its Firsts and Seconds grade.

Not dirt cheap but less expensive than the other grades of unprimed
pine. This, as I suspected, has been glued up and has finger joints.
BUT it is primed and ready for paint. I have not noticed any areas that
may have been knots. I have done a lot of milling for lap joints and
domino's and it looks great.

And this product is S4S so it is sold by the linear foot. So still a
touch more expensive but clear pine was more than double and unprimed.
Even the pine with missing knots was more expensive.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/4/2019 1:27 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
" writes:
[...]

Exactly. These boards are 1x8, so .75" x 7.25". I wanted ready to
work. FWIW I so far only see 3 pieces glued together to make up the width.
But again, I am going to paint this, it being preprimed and sold this
way meant that I would probably get a higher quality board.
I will certainly buy it again for future painted projects.

Posted to rec.woodworking

" writes:
[...]

No, this is well manufactured. The wood under the primer looks great.
Posted to rec.woodworking

" writes:
[...]

My wood (poplar) looked good too, although it was easier to tell since
it wasn't primed. ;-)

My issue was the result of ripping it to close to one of the glue joints
and then routing a groove for a panel. When I inserted the panel it split
along the glue joint for about 10".

I put glue in the split and applied pressure with some homemade "clamps":

https://i.imgur.com/6X3Q1Fw.jpg?1

Posted to rec.woodworking

" writes:
[...]

Bad quality product. The joints are so tight on the product that I am
using you have to look for the joints/splices.