Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Glueing frozen boards question

I have a couple of nice rough hard maple boards to plane and shape for a lap desk. But these boards have been in the freezing cold for a couple of days. Will this affect the glue bond since they have 8 percent moisture content? Should I warm them up first just to be sure? I'm using Titebond III.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote in
:

I have a couple of nice rough hard maple boards to plane and shape for
a lap desk. But these boards have been in the freezing cold for a
couple of days. Will this affect the glue bond since they have 8
percent moisture content? Should I warm them up first just to be sure?
I'm using Titebond III.

Thanks.

When I bring in frozen and weather exposed boards (I know yours probably
aren't) they're usually quite wet. This is often surface moisture, but
can penetrate 1/4" or more. I'm not sure I'd trust a glue joint in that
kind of situation.

They usually warm up quite quickly, though. An hour or two seems to be
good, so why risk it?

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 9:37:06 PM UTC-6, Michael wrote:
I have a couple of nice rough hard maple boards to plane and shape for a lap desk. But these boards have been in the freezing cold for a couple of days. Will this affect the glue bond since they have 8 percent moisture content? Should I warm them up first just to be sure? I'm using Titebond III.

Thanks.

Chalk temp of TB III is 47°. It's best to warm the boards, significantly. I always try to glue and finish with temps above 65°, or at least above 60°, no matter what glue or finish I am using. Rarely do I do any glue or finish work with temps below 70°..... indoors or outdoors.

*Saw this printed on a T-shirt, long ago ('60s-'70s festival):
"Outdoors is IN, Indoors is OUT"

Additionally, and I don't know for sure, but I work with the rationale that lower temps require longer clamp times, before releasing the clamps.

Sonny