Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Glueing frozen boards question

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 9:37:06 PM UTC-6, Michael wrote:
I have a couple of nice rough hard maple boards to plane and shape for a lap desk. But these boards have been in the freezing cold for a couple of days. Will this affect the glue bond since they have 8 percent moisture content? Should I warm them up first just to be sure? I'm using Titebond III.

Thanks.

Chalk temp of TB III is 47°. It's best to warm the boards, significantly. I always try to glue and finish with temps above 65°, or at least above 60°, no matter what glue or finish I am using. Rarely do I do any glue or finish work with temps below 70°..... indoors or outdoors.

*Saw this printed on a T-shirt, long ago ('60s-'70s festival):
"Outdoors is IN, Indoors is OUT"

Additionally, and I don't know for sure, but I work with the rationale that lower temps require longer clamp times, before releasing the clamps.

Sonny