Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What's Wrong With My Sand Blaster?

I see these homemade sand blasters all over youtube and they seem to work
just fine - on youtube.

Here the one I made tonight:

https://i.imgur.com/RkyAJhA.jpg

Here's the notch:

https://i.imgur.com/ckii79D.jpg

Here's the result of an entire 20 oz bottle of Fine (24 grit) grade walnut
shell media from Harbor Freight. You see the bottom left corner? That's all
I got done. I was able to remove 2 layers of the paint but the bottom layer
doesn't show any sign of coming off. As I said, I emptied an entire 20 oz
bottle of blasting media on that small section.

https://i.imgur.com/Zxa2HFk.jpg

Stripping the flat surfaces with stripper is easy enough, but I was hoping
to use the blaster to strip in between the fins. My attempts at that on
another vent failed just as miserably.

One video I saw said 50 PSI was sufficient. I had to set mine at 80 PSI to
get the blaster to do anything. The paint just laughed at 50 PSI.

Am I expecting too much from this rig?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 May 2018 18:07:38 -0700 (PDT)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Am I expecting too much from this rig?

yes

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2018 8:07 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

IIRC sand blast stations recycle the media over and over again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 8:07:41 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Am I expecting too much from this rig?

I would try increasing the air pressure to the max your gun is recommended for.

On this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6L_ArXCbYs - I wasn't too impressed with the speed of the paint removal (one coat of already maybe loosen paint?). I would think any surface, with a primer, would be even slower to blast. I might suspect the primer coat on your vents have been baked on, at the factory, making that coating harder to remove, using the walnut grit, if you're wanting to remove the primer, also.

Test with a bit of fine sand. With that delicate of small gun set-up and pressure regulation, controlling the more aggressive sand might be easy enough, hence not damage your vents' metal.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 10:11:56 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
[...]

Sure, but this is not a commercial blaster. If I built a booth of some kind, I'm sure I could
recycle it. Maybe I'll try it in the shower next time so I can sweep up the media. Fully clothed
of course. That stuff stings. ;-)

I wore long sleeves, a hat and ski goggles with a towel hanging below to shield my face. I
still got grit on me. It was worth a try, but I think I'll go back to liquid strippers. Just as much
work but the mess is more contained.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2018 1:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Couldn't you easily recycle the media using a plastic tarp from Harbor
Fright? Half the time they are giving them away in a size suitable for
this purpose. So long as the object of the blasting was not right on
it, should be fine and you should be able to recover most of it. I
would just set it up like an "L" giving it a floor and back and have at it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 4:34:41 PM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
[...]

Sure, there's lots of ways to collect the media for reuse, but if the
blaster doesn't do what I want it to do, the remaining media will stay
neatly packed in the box that it came in. No need to recover unused
media. ;-)

I'm stripping the vent with liquid stripper as we speak. I may try to blast
whatever doesn't come off (between the fins) at the highest pressure I
can but that'll be the last try for this project. Getting the vents painted
before the weekend is the priority since company is coming.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 12:46:28 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 8:07:41 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Am I expecting too much from this rig?

I would try increasing the air pressure to the max your gun is recommended for.

On this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6L_ArXCbYs - I wasn't too impressed with the speed of the paint removal (one coat of already maybe loosen paint?). I would think any surface, with a primer, would be even slower to blast. I might suspect the primer coat on your vents have been baked on, at the factory, making that coating harder to remove, using the walnut grit, if you're wanting to remove the primer, also.

Test with a bit of fine sand. With that delicate of small gun set-up and pressure regulation, controlling the more aggressive sand might be easy enough, hence not damage your vents' metal.

Sonny

Yeah, I watched that video last night. He was the one that said 50 PSI was
enough. No way.

I up-ed it to 90 PSI earlier this evening. That's max for the cheap HF gun.
It worked a little better, but the problem is that my 150 PSI 6 gallon
compressor ends up way below 90 PSI before the 20 oz bottle is half empty.

In any case, I got the job done. What I ended up doing was stripping all of
flat surfaces with liquid stripper. I then used the stripper and a toothbrush/
steel wool to get as much paint out from between the fins as possible. It was
impossible to get it all, so next I combined the stripper and the sandblaster.

I slathered stripper between the fins, let it work for a few minutes and then
blasted it and the loose paint away. I'd say I got more than 99% of the paint
off which is enough. I've already primed the vents and hope to get the first
coat of paint on tonight.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2018 3:57 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

But did the blaster not clean the corner, and you ran out of media
before getting done?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 4:27:33 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
[...]

I never "ran out of media" because I bought a 25 lb box. What I was saying
is that I filled the 20 oz soda bottle that the homemade blaster uses and
emptied *that* with the poor results showed he

https://i.imgur.com/Zxa2HFk.jpg

Had I tried to strip the entire vent with the blaster, I may indeed have
used all 25 lbs. That's why I choose to strip as much as I could with the
stripper and then blast the loosened paint between the fins. That worked
pretty well, especially for getting the 4 layers of globby paint where each
slit meets the frame.

In any case, they are painted now, drying and will be installed before
the company shows up.

As far as the homemade blaster goes, I'll toss it in the box with the rest
of the media and may try it on something else should the need arise. However,
I'll probably buy a full face shield so I don't have to do this again:

https://i.imgur.com/MU9sz2y.jpg

Those walnut shells hurt!

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

*snip*

As far as the homemade blaster goes, I'll toss it in the box with the
rest of the media and may try it on something else should the need
arise. However, I'll probably buy a full face shield so I don't have
to do this again:

https://i.imgur.com/MU9sz2y.jpg

Those walnut shells hurt!

You look just like Wilson Wilson from Home Improvement!

Full face sheilds are too cheap to not have a good one. $35 makes a lot
of issues go away, and you get a comfortable sheild to boot. However,
I'm not sure how well they'll work with walnut shells.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2018 6:17 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Understood but perhaps you needed the equivalent of 2 hundred oz to
properly strip the register.

https://i.imgur.com/Zxa2HFk.jpg

Had I tried to strip the entire vent with the blaster, I may indeed have
used all 25 lbs. That's why I choose to strip as much as I could with the
stripper and then blast the loosened paint between the fins. That worked
pretty well, especially for getting the 4 layers of globby paint where each
slit meets the frame.

In any case, they are painted now, drying and will be installed before
the company shows up.

Good! ;~)

As far as the homemade blaster goes, I'll toss it in the box with the rest
of the media and may try it on something else should the need arise. However,
I'll probably buy a full face shield so I don't have to do this again:

https://i.imgur.com/MU9sz2y.jpg

Darth? Is that you? LOL

Those walnut shells hurt!

Karcher Sand blaster fred[_8_] UK diy 1 August 21st 16 04:21 PM
silver sand, plasterers' sand, children's sand, etc Stephen[_12_] UK diy 25 October 15th 13 01:13 PM
Wet sand blaster F Murtz[_2_] UK diy 7 December 1st 10 08:12 AM
Info on Sand Blaster Ed Walsh Woodworking 5 January 9th 07 11:58 PM
Shop vac ok for sand-blaster dust collection? Clark Magnuson Metalworking 4 December 26th 04 02:41 PM