Clark Magnuson

Default Shop vac ok for sand-blaster dust collection?

This is a Champion C90200 from Shcuck's auto parts.
TIA
http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDeta...ryCode=3 483G

--
Be careful what you pray for, it can happen.

GMasterman

A shop vac is not the way to go. Shop vacs pull filtred air accross the motor
to cool it and the motor's bearings. Add a bit of grit to that airflow and you
will have a destroyed motor in short order. Regardless of what the vacs
manufacturer offers as their best filter element, it will not be fine enough to
filter the dust out. After destroying several shop vacs, I replaced the motor
with what is called a "by-pass" blower. With this type of blower, the airflow
does not pass the motor, so the grit does not damage anything. I used to by my
motors from Grainger.com.
wallster

"Clark Magnuson" wrote in message
This is a Champion C90200 from Shcuck's auto parts.
TIA
http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDeta...ryCode=3 483G

--
Be careful what you pray for, it can happen.

I was using a shop vac while using aluminum oxide media, it died a horrid
death. I know a guy who uses glass bead and his is still working fine.
Probably not the best tool, but alot of people use them. It depends on what
you're blasting with, eventually the motor will get gacked up.
Good luck!

walt
http://www.wallysspeedshop.com

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Clark Magnuson" wrote in message
snip--

Clark,
Give serious thought to installing a simple squirrel cage blower that
exhausts directly outside instead of using a vacuum to keep the cabinet
clean. If you have neighbors close by, it may not be a good idea, but I've
done it for years with outstanding results. Something quite small, perhaps
around 100 CFM, is more than adequate. I had a vacuum that came with my
cabinet but hated the damned thing. They tend to plug up quite quickly
when you're running fine media.

If you decide to go with the blower, make sure it isn't too large so it
doesn't pull good media out of your cabinet.

Harold

Steve Smith

A shop vac will need special filtering to remove the really fine dust.
You can get them (Fein for example), but the cost goes up.

I like Harold's idea of dumping it outside. Abrasive dust can be pretty
bad stuff to breath.

Steve