Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default What's Wrong With My Sand Blaster?

On 5/15/2018 8:07 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I see these homemade sand blasters all over youtube and they seem to work
just fine - on youtube.

Here the one I made tonight:

https://i.imgur.com/RkyAJhA.jpg

Here's the notch:

https://i.imgur.com/ckii79D.jpg

Here's the result of an entire 20 oz bottle of Fine (24 grit) grade walnut
shell media from Harbor Freight. You see the bottom left corner? That's all
I got done. I was able to remove 2 layers of the paint but the bottom layer
doesn't show any sign of coming off. As I said, I emptied an entire 20 oz
bottle of blasting media on that small section.

https://i.imgur.com/Zxa2HFk.jpg

Stripping the flat surfaces with stripper is easy enough, but I was hoping
to use the blaster to strip in between the fins. My attempts at that on
another vent failed just as miserably.

One video I saw said 50 PSI was sufficient. I had to set mine at 80 PSI to
get the blaster to do anything. The paint just laughed at 50 PSI.

Am I expecting too much from this rig?

IIRC sand blast stations recycle the media over and over again.