Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rope clamping

Here's a trick my Grandfather taught me how to clamp chair legs if You do not have Clamps. Also I failed to illustrate that he weighted the seat to glue on the legs beneath it then wrapped waxpaper below the Glue Joint and fasten it wilh tape to avoid glue stains.You can also wrap rungs and legs below them for the same purpose.
Heres the link to the pic.

https://imgur.com/zCQuZ7Z
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/9/2018 11:37 AM, Rick the antique guy wrote:
Here's a trick my Grandfather taught me how to clamp chair legs if You do not have Clamps. Also I failed to illustrate that he weighted the seat to glue on the legs beneath it then wrapped waxpaper below the Glue Joint and fasten it wilh tape to avoid glue stains.You can also wrap rungs and legs below them for the same purpose.
Heres the link to the pic.

https://imgur.com/zCQuZ7Z

We often have to think outside the box. ;~)

I have used the wax paper trick on many occasions when using the dry fit
carcass of a cabinet to position mid rails on face frames during the
face frame glue up.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 12:42:52 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 5/9/2018 11:37 AM, Rick the antique guy wrote:
Here's a trick my Grandfather taught me how to clamp chair legs if You do not have Clamps. Also I failed to illustrate that he weighted the seat to glue on the legs beneath it then wrapped waxpaper below the Glue Joint and fasten it wilh tape to avoid glue stains.You can also wrap rungs and legs below them for the same purpose.
Heres the link to the pic.

https://imgur.com/zCQuZ7Z

We often have to think outside the box. ;~)

I have used the wax paper trick on many occasions when using the dry fit
carcass of a cabinet to position mid rails on face frames during the
face frame glue up.

Similar to the wax paper trick, we used to use Vaseline when using epoxy on our Soap
Box Derby cars.

For example, when we wanted to permanently affix a nut or steel mounting plate to the
chassis, we would coat the threaded hole and bolts with Vaseline and then epoxy the
parts in place using bolts as a clamp/alignment tool. Once the epoxy dried, the bolts
could be removed/reinserted whenever required, sometimes hundreds of times over
the life of the car.

You can also "mold" epoxy into a specific shape by coating an object with Vaseline
and pressing it down into the epoxy until it cures.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 11:37:18 AM UTC-5, Rick the antique guy wrote:
Here's a trick my Grandfather taught me how to clamp chair legs if You do not have Clamps.

https://imgur.com/zCQuZ7Z

Yep, neat. Turnbuckle concept. On the farm (old homestead), we'd tighten corner fence post bracing using a similar twist-of-a-double-wrap technique; or diagonal support for a sagging gate.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/9/2018 2:10 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Ill have to remember that one. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 9 May 2018 13:34:15 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 11:37:18 AM UTC-5, Rick the antique guy wrote:
Here's a trick my Grandfather taught me how to clamp chair legs if You do not have Clamps.

https://imgur.com/zCQuZ7Z

Yep, neat. Turnbuckle concept. On the farm (old homestead), we'd tighten corner fence post bracing using a similar twist-of-a-double-wrap technique; or diagonal support for a sagging gate.

FWIW, the technical term for the "paddle between two ropes" is a
"Spanish windlass".

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 11:37:18 AM UTC-5, Rick the antique guy wrote:
Here's a trick my Grandfather taught me how to clamp chair legs if You do not have Clamps.

https://imgur.com/zCQuZ7Z

Yep, neat. Turnbuckle concept. On the farm (old homestead), we'd tighten corner fence post bracing using a similar twist-of-a-double-wrap technique; or diagonal support for a sagging gate.

FWIW, the technical term for the "paddle between two ropes" is a
"Spanish windlass".

Sonny

Did you not want to indicate the technical term for the fence corner
post too? ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 11:37:18 AM UTC-5, Rick the antique guy wrote:
Here's a trick my Grandfather taught me how to clamp chair legs if You do not have Clamps.

https://imgur.com/zCQuZ7Z

Yep, neat. Turnbuckle concept. On the farm (old homestead), we'd tighten corner fence post bracing using a similar twist-of-a-double-wrap technique; or diagonal support for a sagging gate.

FWIW, the technical term for the "paddle between two ropes" is a
"Spanish windlass".

Sonny

Good to Know Sonny "Spanish Windlass" I hope I can remember thay one with "the Dutchman" too I would just call a Bowtie Splice.I do remember it in my machine shop class 55 years ago now re-remembered with this site.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 11:37:18 AM UTC-5, Rick the antique guy wrote:
Here's a trick my Grandfather taught me how to clamp chair legs if You do not have Clamps.

https://imgur.com/zCQuZ7Z

Yep, neat. Turnbuckle concept. On the farm (old homestead), we'd tighten corner fence post bracing using a similar twist-of-a-double-wrap technique; or diagonal support for a sagging gate.

FWIW, the technical term for the "paddle between two ropes" is a
"Spanish windlass".

Hmmm, I always thought that was a beautiful Spanish girl that ate too
many beans. (or a gabby one.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 11:37:18 AM UTC-5, Rick the antique guy wrote:
Here's a trick my Grandfather taught me how to clamp chair legs if You do not have Clamps.

https://imgur.com/zCQuZ7Z

Yep, neat. Turnbuckle concept. On the farm (old homestead), we'd tighten corner fence post bracing using a similar twist-of-a-double-wrap technique; or diagonal support for a sagging gate.

FWIW, the technical term for the "paddle between two ropes" is a
"Spanish windlass".

Hmmm, I always thought that was a beautiful Spanish girl that ate too
many beans. (or a gabby one.)

That's a Hoot! OFWW That may detract from her beauty a bit but if you pinch Your nostrils, things could work out I guess.
rick B.