Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick the antique guy Rick the antique guy is offline

Default Rope clamping

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 9:52:18 PM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:
On Wed, 9 May 2018 13:34:15 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 11:37:18 AM UTC-5, Rick the antique guy wrote:
Here's a trick my Grandfather taught me how to clamp chair legs if You do not have Clamps.

https://imgur.com/zCQuZ7Z

Yep, neat. Turnbuckle concept. On the farm (old homestead), we'd tighten corner fence post bracing using a similar twist-of-a-double-wrap technique; or diagonal support for a sagging gate.

FWIW, the technical term for the "paddle between two ropes" is a
"Spanish windlass".

Sonny

Good to Know Sonny "Spanish Windlass" I hope I can remember thay one with "the Dutchman" too I would just call a Bowtie Splice.I do remember it in my machine shop class 55 years ago now re-remembered with this site.