Posted to rec.woodworking

Default plastic hf toolboxes

anyone tried any of the plastic hf toolboxes

uv stability is important and is disappointing to discover down the road to
be not as advertised

maybe i should just use some natural material and make one

hmm maybe wood but usually the wood toolbox is heavier than the
plastic ones

as always there are tradeofsf

lightweight and uv stability matters

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet on Mon, 30 Apr 2018
09:27:49 -0700 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
anyone tried any of the plastic hf toolboxes

uv stability is important and is disappointing to discover down the road to
be not as advertised

maybe i should just use some natural material and make one

hmm maybe wood but usually the wood toolbox is heavier than the
plastic ones

as always there are tradeofsf

lightweight and uv stability matters

One option is paint.

Or just budget for another cheap replacement down the road.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 09:27:49 -0700, Electric Comet
wrote:

anyone tried any of the plastic hf toolboxes

uv stability is important and is disappointing to discover down the road to
be not as advertised

maybe i should just use some natural material and make one

hmm maybe wood but usually the wood toolbox is heavier than the
plastic ones

as always there are tradeofsf

lightweight and uv stability matters

Well, lets see.........
There are canvas bags, aluminum boxes, steel, cardboard, titanium, HD
buckets of each of the above, there are a myriad of options.
But why does it matter if you are only storing thread in them?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 18:33:30 -0700
pyotr filipivich wrote:

One option is paint.

good idea
maybe even a uv stable clear coat would do
but even that can backfire as some plastics will not take a finish

Or just budget for another cheap replacement down the road.

depends on the recipient and the use

better for it to last long and not need frequent replacement

Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

One option is paint.

good idea
maybe even a uv stable clear coat would do
but even that can backfire as some plastics will not take a finish

Or just budget for another cheap replacement down the road.

depends on the recipient and the use

Yeah. Maybe they'll want to use it as a jewelry box.

better for it to last long and not need frequent replacement

Yeah. Like a well made game board.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet on Thu, 3 May 2018
09:06:30 -0700 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:

One option is paint.

good idea
maybe even a uv stable clear coat would do
but even that can backfire as some plastics will not take a finish

Then don't get that model.

Or just budget for another cheap replacement down the road.

depends on the recipient and the use

better for it to last long and not need frequent replacement

Like shoes - you can buy a pair at Walmart for 17.88 and replace
them in four months. Or you can buy a better pair for $35 and replace
them in a year. (Or, buy two pair, alternate them daily, and replace
them in a year and four months)
Also, as a friend who was making backpacks pointed out: the army
bought a set of his, then tested them. They lasted 3 months. That is
"three months of constant daily hard usage in the field." Most
people are hard pressed to put any of their camping gear to use "in
the field" for 90 days. (That's 13 weeks of camping trips, at two
weeks the year, nope, your tent did not last "6 years", but 12 weeks
spread out over 6 years.)

So, you can buy a cheap plastic toolbox, and keep it out of the
sun, and it will last a "long" time. Or buy a better but UV resistant
plastic one, keep it out of the sun and it will last even longer.
Or get a non-plastic one - if you can find one.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 03 May 2018 17:06:19 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Then don't get that model.

EC = Eeyore
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

One option is paint.

good idea
maybe even a uv stable clear coat would do
but even that can backfire as some plastics will not take a finish

Then don't get that model.

Or just budget for another cheap replacement down the road.

depends on the recipient and the use

better for it to last long and not need frequent replacement

Like shoes - you can buy a pair at Walmart for 17.88 and replace
them in four months. Or you can buy a better pair for $35 and replace
them in a year. (Or, buy two pair, alternate them daily, and replace
them in a year and four months)

Or, you can pay $150 and be able to actually walk for a year. I can't
imagine a $20 pair of shoes even fitting on my dogs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 03 May 2018 20:55:20 -0500, Markem
wrote:

On Thu, 03 May 2018 17:06:19 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Then don't get that model.

EC = Eeyore

slap Now everything make sense!
Posted to rec.woodworking

on Thu, 03 May 2018 22:41:25 -0400 typed in

pyotr filipivich wrote:

One option is paint.
good idea
maybe even a uv stable clear coat would do
but even that can backfire as some plastics will not take a finish

Then don't get that model.

Or just budget for another cheap replacement down the road.

depends on the recipient and the use

better for it to last long and not need frequent replacement

Like shoes - you can buy a pair at Walmart for 17.88 and replace
them in four months. Or you can buy a better pair for $35 and replace
them in a year. (Or, buy two pair, alternate them daily, and replace
them in a year and four months)

Or, you can pay $150 and be able to actually walk for a year.

I shelled out for two pairs of Durashocks, alternated them, they
lasted years.
Then the day I needed gym shoes - walmart had them for 17.88. As
I wear them for at most two hours three times a week - they are
"lasting" a long time.

I can't
imagine a $20 pair of shoes even fitting on my dogs.

It's a "sermon illustration".

The reality is- if you buy two pair of shoes and alternate them,
they will last longer than if you buy one pair, wear them till they
'die', and then buy a second pair.

Sometimes, your choice is: something cheap - now, or something
more expensive later. (e.g., Harbor Freight or Snap-On)

--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

What your definition of "last longer"? Is it based on time or usage?

They won't last any longer based on usage. They'll both wear out after the same number
of steps, all else being equal. Alternate them or not, you'll double the number of steps
compared to having only one pair, but neither one lasted "longer" from a usage perspective.

The real advantages of buying 2 pairs are the cost (because of inflation) and the guarantee that
that that exact shoe will be "available" for longer than it might be otherwise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 on Fri, 4 May 2018 03:59:13 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

Just what I said - if you alternate the use of a pair of shoes,
those who shoes will last longer than if you bought 1 pair, wore them
daily, and then bought a second pair and wore it daily. You will get
more "steps per shoe" than if you wore the same pair every day.
I'm also remembering that the US Army figures a pair of combat
boots, in combat, last something like 6 weeks, but a pair "in
garrison" will last for over a year.

They won't last any longer based on usage. They'll both wear out after the same number
of steps, all else being equal. Alternate them or not, you'll double the number of steps
compared to having only one pair, but neither one lasted "longer" from a usage perspective.

Apparently, if you let a pair of shoes dry out (by wearing them
every other day) they last longer than if you wear them every day.
Thus, two pair of shoes, alternated, will get more steps per shoe,
than if you wear them day after day.

The real advantages of buying 2 pairs are the cost (because of inflation) and the guarantee that
that that exact shoe will be "available" for longer than it might be otherwise.

Tell me about it. When I went to replace those Durashocks they
were "New and Improved"; meaning that the size I'd worn - no longer
fit.

Fnord - don't get me started on the things I wish I could still
get.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

One option is paint.
good idea
maybe even a uv stable clear coat would do
but even that can backfire as some plastics will not take a finish

Then don't get that model.

Or just budget for another cheap replacement down the road.

depends on the recipient and the use

better for it to last long and not need frequent replacement

Like shoes - you can buy a pair at Walmart for 17.88 and replace
them in four months. Or you can buy a better pair for $35 and replace
them in a year. (Or, buy two pair, alternate them daily, and replace
them in a year and four months)

Or, you can pay $150 and be able to actually walk for a year. I can't
imagine a $20 pair of shoes even fitting on my dogs.

Personally, I've just gone through this.
I bought a couple pairs of Mephisto shoes with the intention of wearing
them to work in. One for outside and one for inside clients' homes.

Both pairs MSRP is up near or over $400. We have an outlet store near
us so I think I paid somewhere around $150-175 for each. These are
hand-made shoes made from real leather and come with all the promises
the commissioned salesperson can muster. They treat you like royalty,
compliment you, tell you how great every shoe you try on looks and stop
just short of offering you a foot massage. You get to sit in big, comfy
chairs while smooth jazz plays softly in a room that smells like
lavender and rose pedals. And there's complimentary cold beverages.

There's also an Academy Sports near us that sells a brand named,
Magellan, made in Asian factories. I got 2 pairs, for under 40 bucks.
I'm sure they're made with near-slave labor with materials that would go
up in flames quicker than a match. In order to find a pair in the
clearance section, you have to wade through fat rednecks, entitled
soccer moms, and immigrants who smell like an onion bagel factory,
stepping over baby carriers and various misplaced sports balls in the
hopes of finding one of the only three benches in the entire store to
sit on while you try on your shoes. In the meantime, they're blaring
bro-county songs through distorting speakers, Bubba just crop dusted me
as he surely sharted himself walking past, bratty kids are crying,
screaming, running around, tripping on you and your shoe boxes, and the
minimum-wage earning salespersons act like you're ruining their day by
asking them a question. There's high/low pair of drinking fountains in
the back with a father/son pair sucking on the nozzles like calves on
teats.

The 2 pairs of $150+ shoes I bought sit here waiting for opportunities
to be worn. They are very heavy, don't fit my untra-wide feet, but I'm
told they will stretch out over time and feel better month-by-month and
the memory foam will slowly conform to my feet. They take a bit of
effort to take on and off. I'm nervous when I wear them because I'm
afraid of stepping in something gross or damaging such expensive shoes.

The 2 pairs of $20 shoes fit like a glove the first time I tried them
on. They are super-light, the memory form feels great, already. They
slip on and off without using my hands. I have a pair that still feels
great after about 4 years but I finally had to toss them because I ran a
utility knife through the toe and got some roofing tar on one that is
really tough to get off. But you know what? There's another pair ready
and waiting for me for $20 down at Academy.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

There's a running shoe I love (I don't jog).
Last time I found them on sale, I bought 2 pairs for that very reason.
I don't want to try to find them again when I need a new pair, only to
find that they changed something or don't make them anymore.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Electric Comet on Thu, 3 May 2018
09:06:30 -0700 typed in rec.woodworkingÂ* the following:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 18:33:30 -0700
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Â*Â*Â*Â*One option is paint.
good idea
maybe even a uv stable clear coat would do
but even that can backfire as some plastics will not take a finish

Â*Â*Â*Â*Then don't get that model.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Or just budget for another cheap replacement down the road.

depends on the recipient and the use

better for it to last long and not need frequent replacement

Â*Â*Â*Â*Like shoes - you can buy a pair at Walmart for 17.88 and replace
them in four months. Or you can buy a better pair for $35 and replace
them in a year.Â* (Or, buy two pair, alternate them daily, and replace
them in a year and four months)

Or, you can pay $150 and be able to actually walk for a year.Â* I can't
imagine a $20 pair of shoes even fitting on my dogs.

Personally, I've just gone through this.
I bought a couple pairs of Mephisto shoes with the intention of wearing
them to work in.Â* One for outside and one for inside clients' homes.

Both pairs MSRP is up near or over $400.Â* We have an outlet store near
us so I think I paid somewhere around $150-175 for each.Â* These are
hand-made shoes made from real leather and come with all the promises
the commissioned salesperson can muster.Â* They treat you like royalty,
compliment you, tell you how great every shoe you try on looks and stop
just short of offering you a foot massage.Â* You get to sit in big, comfy
chairs while smooth jazz plays softly in a room that smells like
lavender and rose pedals.Â* And there's complimentary cold beverages.

There's also an Academy Sports near us that sells a brand named,
Magellan, made in Asian factories.Â* I got 2 pairs, for under 40 bucks.
I'm sure they're made with near-slave labor with materials that would go
up in flames quicker than a match.Â* In order to find a pair in the
clearance section, you have to wade through fat rednecks, entitled
soccer moms, and immigrants who smell like an onion bagel factory,
stepping over baby carriers and various misplaced sports balls in the
hopes of finding one of the only three benches in the entire store to
sit on while you try on your shoes.Â* In the meantime, they're blaring
bro-county songs through distorting speakers, Bubba just crop dusted me
as he surely sharted himself walking past, bratty kids are crying,
screaming, running around, tripping on you and your shoe boxes, and the
minimum-wage earning salespersons act like you're ruining their day by
asking them a question.Â* There's high/low pair of drinking fountains in
the back with a father/son pair sucking on the nozzles like calves on
teats.

The 2 pairs of $150+ shoes I bought sit here waiting for opportunities
to be worn.Â* They are very heavy, don't fit my untra-wide feet, but I'm
told they will stretch out over time and feel better month-by-month and
the memory foam will slowly conform to my feet.Â* They take a bit of
effort to take on and off.Â* I'm nervous when I wear them because I'm
afraid of stepping in something gross or damaging such expensive shoes.

The 2 pairs of $20 shoes fit like a glove the first time I tried them
on.Â* They are super-light, the memory form feels great, already.Â* They
slip on and off without using my hands.Â* I have a pair that still feels
great after about 4 years but I finally had to toss them because I ran a
utility knife through the toe and got some roofing tar on one that is
really tough to get off.Â* But you know what?Â* There's another pair ready
and waiting for me for $20 down at Academy.

I pretty much only wear Timberland water proof hiking shoes and usually
pay $100~$130. I get 3~5 years use out of these with everyday wear. I
only wear an older pair for yard work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/4/2018 8:37 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

The 2 pairs of $150+ shoes I bought sit here waiting for opportunities
to be worn.Â* They are very heavy, don't fit my untra-wide feet, but I'm
told they will stretch out over time ...

Your local shoe repair can stretch those leather shoes for you overnight.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 4 May 2018 10:34:24 -0600, Just Wondering
wrote:

On 5/4/2018 8:37 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

The 2 pairs of $150+ shoes I bought sit here waiting for opportunities
to be worn.* They are very heavy, don't fit my untra-wide feet, but I'm
told they will stretch out over time ...

Your local shoe repair can stretch those leather shoes for you overnight.

for the trouble toe or bunion ...
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...49&cat=2,51676

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/4/18 11:34 AM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 5/4/2018 8:37 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

The 2 pairs of $150+ shoes I bought sit here waiting for opportunities
to be worn.Â* They are very heavy, don't fit my untra-wide feet, but
I'm told they will stretch out over time ...

Your local shoe repair can stretch those leather shoes for you overnight.

1. It's funny that you think those places still exist. :-p
2. I already spent $150 bucks on them, I should have to spend more.
3. The $20 shoes already fit great.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Â*Â*Â*Â*One option is paint.
good idea
maybe even a uv stable clear coat would do
but even that can backfire as some plastics will not take a finish

Â*Â*Â*Â*Then don't get that model.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Or just budget for another cheap replacement down the road.

depends on the recipient and the use

better for it to last long and not need frequent replacement

Â*Â*Â*Â*Like shoes - you can buy a pair at Walmart for 17.88 and replace
them in four months. Or you can buy a better pair for $35 and replace
them in a year.Â* (Or, buy two pair, alternate them daily, and replace
them in a year and four months)

Or, you can pay $150 and be able to actually walk for a year.Â* I can't
imagine a $20 pair of shoes even fitting on my dogs.

Personally, I've just gone through this.
I bought a couple pairs of Mephisto shoes with the intention of
wearing them to work in.Â* One for outside and one for inside clients'
homes.

Both pairs MSRP is up near or over $400.Â* We have an outlet store near
us so I think I paid somewhere around $150-175 for each.Â* These are
hand-made shoes made from real leather and come with all the promises
the commissioned salesperson can muster.Â* They treat you like royalty,
compliment you, tell you how great every shoe you try on looks and
stop just short of offering you a foot massage.Â* You get to sit in
big, comfy chairs while smooth jazz plays softly in a room that smells
like lavender and rose pedals.Â* And there's complimentary cold beverages.

There's also an Academy Sports near us that sells a brand named,
Magellan, made in Asian factories.Â* I got 2 pairs, for under 40 bucks.
I'm sure they're made with near-slave labor with materials that would
go up in flames quicker than a match.Â* In order to find a pair in the
clearance section, you have to wade through fat rednecks, entitled
soccer moms, and immigrants who smell like an onion bagel factory,
stepping over baby carriers and various misplaced sports balls in the
hopes of finding one of the only three benches in the entire store to
sit on while you try on your shoes.Â* In the meantime, they're blaring
bro-county songs through distorting speakers, Bubba just crop dusted
me as he surely sharted himself walking past, bratty kids are crying,
screaming, running around, tripping on you and your shoe boxes, and
the minimum-wage earning salespersons act like you're ruining their
day by asking them a question.Â* There's high/low pair of drinking
[...]

that is really tough to get off.Â* But you know what?Â* There's another
pair ready and waiting for me for $20 down at Academy.

I pretty much only wear Timberland water proof hiking shoes and usually
pay $100~$130.Â* I get 3~5 years use out of these with everyday wear. I
only wear an older pair for yard work.

I like those and almost bought a pair.
I think I will end up buying a pair soon. IIRC, they fit and felt great.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/4/2018 8:37 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

The 2 pairs of $150+ shoes I bought sit here waiting for
opportunities to be worn.Â* They are very heavy, don't fit my
untra-wide feet, but I'm told they will stretch out over time ...

Your local shoe repair can stretch those leather shoes for you overnight.

1.Â* It's funny that you think those places still exist.Â* :-p

Not as many, but there are still a couple around here.
If you can't find one, you could try one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...shoe+stretcher

2.Â* I already spent $150 bucks on them, I should have to spend more.

I'm sure you meant you should NOT have to spend more. I don't disagree,
but there are all sorts of things people have to do that they should not
have to. The fact is, you bought shoes that don't fit. You now have
what is known as a sunk cost.
http://www.businessdictionary.com/de...sunk-cost.html
https://www.lifehack.org/articles/co...ct-stupid.html
You can do what you want, I just suggested a way to get them to fit.

3.Â* The $20 shoes already fit great.

That's great. I also buy most of my shoes at PayLess or KMart rather
than a high-end men's store.
Meanwhile you have two pair of shoes that don't fit you so well, but
that probably could be made to fit cheaper than buying even a cheap new
pair. If you can't or won't wear them, perhaps consider giving them to
a local homeless shelter so someone CAN get some good out of them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/4/18 1:56 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
Meanwhile you have two pair of shoes that don't fit you so well, but
that probably could be made to fit cheaper than buying even a cheap new
pair.Â* If you can't or won't wear them, perhaps consider giving them to
a local homeless shelter so someone CAN get some good out of them.

I can see it now...
"Man, can you spare a few bucks for me to get a burger?"
"Dude, you're wearing $300 Mephisto shoes, you don't need my money."

:-)

(Just a joke, I used to work at a homeless shelter.)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Two pair of ill-fitting shoes don't fit big feet any better than one
pair of ill-fitting shoes and two cheap pairs of shoes don't support
my feet any better than one cheap POS.

I have several pairs, actually. Every one the same size and model (in
different colors) - New Balance 928 size 12-6E in black, white (gym
only), and gray (brown soon to come). The older pairs become work
shoes. I usually pay between $125 and $150 a pair. I don't think
I've worn anything else (other than boots) in over a decade.

Sometimes, your choice is: something cheap - now, or something
more expensive later. (e.g., Harbor Freight or Snap-On)

Or buy something expensive now and be able to walk later. I _never_
scrimp on shoes. They're too important.
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Not really. Alternating shoes will allow them to dry completely,
between wearings.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 4 May 2018 14:23:36 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 5/4/18 1:56 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
Meanwhile you have two pair of shoes that don't fit you so well, but
that probably could be made to fit cheaper than buying even a cheap new
pair.* If you can't or won't wear them, perhaps consider giving them to
a local homeless shelter so someone CAN get some good out of them.

I can see it now...
"Man, can you spare a few bucks for me to get a burger?"
"Dude, you're wearing $300 Mephisto shoes, you don't need my money."

:-)

(Just a joke, I used to work at a homeless shelter.)

He spent $300 on a pair of shoes. Maybe he does need money (now).

Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Not counting walking through puddles, how long does it take for a pair of shoes to dry out
after a "normal" wearing session?
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

It depends on a lot of factors but it does take a while. There isn't
a lot of air flow inside a shoe.
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

"A while" doesn't help move the discussion forward.

When I was project manager for a Fortune 500 company, I learned very quickly
that "not too long", "not much", "fairly soon", etc. were not answers that were
going to move your career along. People can't make decisions or plan budgets
with nebulous answers like that.

If "a while" means it takes 18 hours for a pair of work shoes to dry, then
maybe a person shouldn't wear them 2 days in a row. However, if "a while" is
8 - 10 hours, then they'll most likely be dry by the time you need them the
next day.

How long is "a while" when it come to shoes drying?
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

So, you can buy a cheap plastic toolbox, and keep it out of
the sun, and it will last a "long" time. Or buy a better but UV

some cheap plastic ones are uv stable and maybe hf sells one

and back to the op we go

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 on Fri, 4 May 2018 17:48:20 -0700

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Depends on your home climate. They'll dry faster in Arizona than
in Florida. OTOH, in Western Washington, especially in the winter,
they may never really get dry. Yakima - you can hear them drying out.
Which is one reason why you might as well have two pair and give
them a days and two nights to dry out.

--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 on Fri, 4 May 2018 20:13:02 -0700
[...]

What is the ambient relative humidity, air temperature and air
flow in the house, and specifically where the shoes are? Are they low
cut shoes you can pull the tongue out to improve airflow, or boots
which you pull on and reach up to your knee? Do your feet sweat a
lot, a little? How wet were your socks when you took your footgear
off?
Without answers to those questions, "a while" is as good an answer
as you can get.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

on Fri, 04 May 2018 19:43:15 -0400 typed in

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Yep.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

"Day". Is that better?

When I was project manager for a Fortune 500 company, I learned very quickly
that "not too long", "not much", "fairly soon", etc. were not answers that were
going to move your career along. People can't make decisions or plan budgets
with nebulous answers like that.

Were you going to pay me for my answer? OK, I'll set up an
experiment.

If "a while" means it takes 18 hours for a pair of work shoes to dry, then
maybe a person shouldn't wear them 2 days in a row. However, if "a while" is
8 - 10 hours, then they'll most likely be dry by the time you need them the
next day.

How long is "a while" when it come to shoes drying?

Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Screwed up feet are forever.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/4/2018 1:31 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

promises the commissioned salesperson can muster.Â* They treat you
like royalty, compliment you, tell you how great every shoe you try
on looks and stop just short of offering you a foot massage.Â* You get
to sit in big, comfy chairs while smooth jazz plays softly in a room
that smells like lavender and rose pedals.Â* And there's complimentary
cold beverages.

There's also an Academy Sports near us that sells a brand named,
Magellan, made in Asian factories.Â* I got 2 pairs, for under 40
bucks. I'm sure they're made with near-slave labor with materials
that would go up in flames quicker than a match.Â* In order to find a
pair in the clearance section, you have to wade through fat rednecks,
entitled soccer moms, and immigrants who smell like an onion bagel
factory, stepping over baby carriers and various misplaced sports
balls in the hopes of finding one of the only three benches in the
entire store to sit on while you try on your shoes.Â* In the meantime,
they're blaring bro-county songs through distorting speakers, Bubba
just crop dusted me as he surely sharted himself walking past, bratty
kids are crying, screaming, running around, tripping on you and your
shoe boxes, and the minimum-wage earning salespersons act like you're
ruining their day by asking them a question.Â* There's high/low pair
of drinking fountains in the back with a father/son pair sucking on
the nozzles like calves on teats.

The 2 pairs of $150+ shoes I bought sit here waiting for
opportunities to be worn.Â* They are very heavy, don't fit my
untra-wide feet, but I'm told they will stretch out over time and
feel better month-by-month and the memory foam will slowly conform to
my feet. They take a bit of effort to take on and off.Â* I'm nervous
when I wear them because I'm afraid of stepping in something gross or
damaging such expensive shoes.

The 2 pairs of $20 shoes fit like a glove the first time I tried them
on.Â* They are super-light, the memory form feels great, already.
They slip on and off without using my hands.Â* I have a pair that
still feels great after about 4 years but I finally had to toss them
because I ran a utility knife through the toe and got some roofing
tar on one that is really tough to get off.Â* But you know what?
There's another pair ready and waiting for me for $20 down at Academy.

I pretty much only wear Timberland water proof hiking shoes and
usually pay $100~$130.Â* I get 3~5 years use out of these with everyday
wear. I only wear an older pair for yard work.

I like those and almost bought a pair.
I think I will end up buying a pair soon.Â* IIRC, they fit and felt great.

Yes, the feel good and basically need no break-in.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/5/18 9:44 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/4/2018 1:31 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That's how the Brooks shoes that I prefer feel.
They run about $130, new, at the runners' shoe store. When I first
bought them, I bought "last year's model" at about 40% off. The last
time I saw them on sale on-line, I bought 2 identical pairs.

I would never need another shoe to wear again, if I lived where there is
no winter. But they are running shoes, so most of them are mesh
material which makes them freezing in cold weather.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet on Fri, 4 May 2018
20:18:35 -0700 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:

So, you can buy a cheap plastic toolbox, and keep it out of
the sun, and it will last a "long" time. Or buy a better but UV

some cheap plastic ones are uv stable and maybe hf sells one

and back to the op we go

Now that's just weird. :-)
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Well, that would depend on the ambient humidity.
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

How wet the shoes are, the amount of padding in the shoes, the
size/shape of the shoe, wind (direction and speed), and probably a
dozen other variables.

High Quality Casters For Big, Heavy Toolboxes jon_banquer Metalworking 14 June 20th 09 12:50 AM
Toolboxes - are there *any* good ones out there? [email protected] UK diy 22 October 14th 07 06:08 PM
Old Toolboxes Joseph Durham Woodworking 10 September 14th 06 05:33 AM
gerstner toolboxes-age yourname Metalworking 1 April 18th 06 06:56 AM
Lista toolboxes - 3 different websites jj Metalworking 0 January 5th 06 12:15 AM