Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Clamp storage

I have a lot of the wrap around clamps that consist of a threaded rod,
with corner block. The clamp is then assembled so that it goes around
the rectangle object.

The rods area about 3/8" and 30" long. With they disassemble to a small
package, being rods they are difficult to handle

Has any one any good suggestions for storing this type of clamps

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 1:21:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a lot of the wrap around clamps that consist of a threaded rod,
with corner block. The clamp is then assembled so that it goes around
the rectangle object.

The rods area about 3/8" and 30" long. With they disassemble to a small
package, being rods they are difficult to handle

Has any one any good suggestions for storing this type of clamps

Would something like this work? Or something similar, perhaps made
from PVC. Add a shelf/box for the corner blocks.

https://tinyurl.com/yd795fb7

Full URL:

https://0c3e66699e7888fc796a-b81ff64...6C067A77DA.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2018 3:06 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 1:21:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a lot of the wrap around clamps that consist of a threaded rod,
with corner block. The clamp is then assembled so that it goes around
the rectangle object.

The rods area about 3/8" and 30" long. With they disassemble to a small
package, being rods they are difficult to handle

Has any one any good suggestions for storing this type of clamps

Would something like this work? Or something similar, perhaps made
from PVC. Add a shelf/box for the corner blocks.

https://tinyurl.com/yd795fb7

Full URL:

https://0c3e66699e7888fc796a-b81ff64...6C067A77DA.jpg

Yes!

As per size it is a little over kill. You would be surprised how many
3/8 inch rods you can get in a small space.

I will think about that.

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 3:24:43 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On 4/27/2018 3:06 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 1:21:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a lot of the wrap around clamps that consist of a threaded rod,
with corner block. The clamp is then assembled so that it goes around
the rectangle object.

The rods area about 3/8" and 30" long. With they disassemble to a small
package, being rods they are difficult to handle

Has any one any good suggestions for storing this type of clamps

Would something like this work? Or something similar, perhaps made
from PVC. Add a shelf/box for the corner blocks.

https://tinyurl.com/yd795fb7

Full URL:

https://0c3e66699e7888fc796a-b81ff64...6C067A77DA.jpg

Yes!

As per size it is a little over kill. You would be surprised how many
3/8 inch rods you can get in a small space.

That is specifically why I said "something like this". ;-)

Seems like a single or a couple of 4" PVC pipes is all you need. Make a base
to stand them vertical or lay them horizontal, maybe up in a joist bay.

Something like this perhaps:

https://tinyurl.com/ybufdzcw

Full URL:

https://hative.com/wp-content/upload...tion-ideas.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2018 3:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I had thought of the 4" pipe, but unless I store the end blocks
separately they get tangled when the blocks and rods are stored
together.

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 5:35:31 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Do you have a picture of or link to these types of clamps?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2018 8:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I make a lot of picture frames and stretchers, so mine gets a lot of use.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...=1,43293,31162

When not in use they store as rods or rods with the corner blocks.
However with the corner blocks they tend to tangle.

I have used them of some fairly large items like a bed frame.

In my opinion they give much better control of the gluing process than
other types of clamps as by adjusting the nuts on each corner you can
coax the mitered corners to perfect alignment.

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Can you hang them like I do mime?

https://i.imgur.com/sDHDNGW.jpg

Or use smaller PVC, one rod per pipe:

https://i.imgur.com/KakbiZh.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 2:06:12 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 1:21:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a lot of the wrap around clamps that consist of a threaded rod,
with corner block. The clamp is then assembled so that it goes around
the rectangle object.

The rods area about 3/8" and 30" long. With they disassemble to a small
package, being rods they are difficult to handle

Has any one any good suggestions for storing this type of clamps

Would something like this work? Or something similar, perhaps made
from PVC. Add a shelf/box for the corner blocks.

https://tinyurl.com/yd795fb7

Full URL:

https://0c3e66699e7888fc796a-b81ff64...6C067A77DA.jpg

Wrong type clamp.

IF he got his where I got mine (Penn State) I know what he is talking about and have just hung mine on nails along the wall. But then I only have two and almost never use them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 10:06:00 AM UTC-4, Dr. Deb wrote:
On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 2:06:12 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 1:21:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a lot of the wrap around clamps that consist of a threaded rod,
with corner block. The clamp is then assembled so that it goes around
the rectangle object.

The rods area about 3/8" and 30" long. With they disassemble to a small
package, being rods they are difficult to handle

Has any one any good suggestions for storing this type of clamps

Would something like this work? Or something similar, perhaps made
from PVC. Add a shelf/box for the corner blocks.

https://tinyurl.com/yd795fb7

Full URL:

https://0c3e66699e7888fc796a-b81ff64...6C067A77DA.jpg

Wrong type clamp.

I know that. He posted a link to his style of clamp:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...=1,43293,31162

It was the hanging/storage method that I was trying to show, not the clamp
types.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 27 Apr 2018 13:21:14 -0400
Keith Nuttle wrote:

Has any one any good suggestions for storing this type of clamps

wrap them around something geometric that is already in the shop

or make such a protrusion from the wall and place it around that
using concentric pattern for smaller sizes