Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english

Default G clamp or C clamp?

I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

http://www.accordbenchvices.com/gclamp-cclamp.html
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english

On 7/13/2016 1:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C
clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

http://www.accordbenchvices.com/gclamp-cclamp.html

C clamp here. Never heard the term G clamp. G string, sure. But G
clamp, no.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/13/2016 3:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C
clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

http://www.accordbenchvices.com/gclamp-cclamp.html

Never heard it of anything but "C" in US; I guess it's that we ignore
the stem and look only at the casting in characterizing the shape.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english

On 13/07/16 22:03, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 7/13/2016 1:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C
clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

http://www.accordbenchvices.com/gclamp-cclamp.html

C clamp here. Never heard the term G clamp. G string, sure. But G
clamp, no.

I use an E clamp, an A clamp, a D clamp, a G clamp, a B clamp, and then
another E clamp, two octaves higher than the first.

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 4:53:28 PM UTC-4, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

http://www.accordbenchvices.com/gclamp-cclamp.html

A Google search seems to indicate that the names C and G are interchangeable.

That said, I've never heard of them being called G clamps until you made me look it up.

Now I'm stuck with that info floating around in my head forever. I hate you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 5:23:58 PM UTC-4, Richard Heathfield wrote:
On 13/07/16 22:03, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 7/13/2016 1:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C
clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

http://www.accordbenchvices.com/gclamp-cclamp.html

C clamp here. Never heard the term G clamp. G string, sure. But G
clamp, no.

I use an E clamp, an A clamp, a D clamp, a G clamp, a B clamp, and then
another E clamp, two octaves higher than the first.

Musical advice for crossing the street:

C Sharp or B Flat

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 22:39:37 +0100, bob_villain wrote:

On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 4:33:44 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 4:53:28 PM UTC-4, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

http://www.accordbenchvices.com/gclamp-cclamp.html

A Google search seems to indicate that the names C and G are interchangeable.

That said, I've never heard of them being called G clamps until you made me look it up.

Now I'm stuck with that info floating around in my head forever. I hate you.

I hate you more!

Can I provide you two with some pillows? Or would you prefer mud?

--
Confucius say: "Boy who go to sleep with stiff problem wake up with solution in hand."
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english

On 7/13/2016 1:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C
clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

What's that thing under the bathroom sink?...a J trap or a P trap?...r

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 14:33:40 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03 wrote:

Now I'm stuck with that info floating around in my head

How about "crocodile" vs. "alligator" clips?

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 23:04:28 +0100, RH Draney wrote:

On 7/13/2016 1:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C
clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

What's that thing under the bathroom sink?...a J trap or a P trap?...r

We call it a U-bend. Because the important part is the curve.

I can understand J-trap, but where does a P shape come into it?

--
"Hi, It's a great day and I'm out enjoying it right now. I hope you are too. The thought for the day is 'Share the love.'" BEEP.
"Um, yeah, hello? This is the VD clinic calling. Your test results are back and you're positive. Stop sharing the love."
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english

On 7/13/2016 4:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C
clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

http://www.accordbenchvices.com/gclamp-cclamp.html

Never heard of a G clamp on this side of the pond. False advertising
though, they can be broken if you try hard enough or abuse them enough.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 00:23:35 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/13/2016 4:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C
clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

http://www.accordbenchvices.com/gclamp-cclamp.html

Never heard of a G clamp on this side of the pond. False advertising
though, they can be broken if you try hard enough or abuse them enough.

If you try to use them as a vice perhaps. But I find them very useful for holding something steady for gluing or cutting.

--
Reboot - to kick a computer in such a way that it turns off and then on again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 18:13:03 -0400, Mike Duffy
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 14:33:40 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03 wrote:

Now I'm stuck with that info floating around in my head

How about "crocodile" vs. "alligator" clips?

At least it's not "stormy's" cement nail - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english

On 7/13/2016 4:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C
clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

http://www.accordbenchvices.com/gclamp-cclamp.html

As a Yank my preference is for C clamps and G strings.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 19:38:04 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 7/13/2016 4:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C
clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

http://www.accordbenchvices.com/gclamp-cclamp.html

As a Yank my preference is for C clamps and G strings.

It'a "c" clamp when it's open, and a "G" clamp when it's partway
closed and a "GD" clamp when you can't find it!!

And on the subject of clamps I still haven't figgured out why Britts
use "g-clamps" to "cramp" something together - - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 5:13:06 PM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 14:33:40 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03 wrote:

Now I'm stuck with that info floating around in my head

How about "crocodile" vs. "alligator" clips?

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

Long-nose or needle-nose pliers? I say there's difference, but most think they're the same.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 6:28:50 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 00:23:35 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/13/2016 4:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C
clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

http://www.accordbenchvices.com/gclamp-cclamp.html

Never heard of a G clamp on this side of the pond. False advertising
though, they can be broken if you try hard enough or abuse them enough.

If you try to use them as a vice perhaps. But I find them very useful for holding something steady for gluing or cutting.

I find Brits *try* to be annoying with their use words. "Now lets's see what we can call this to totally alienate the other English speaking world? We are elitists...and no one can say otherwise!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , mqduffy001
@bell.net says...

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 14:33:40 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03 wrote:

Now I'm stuck with that info floating around in my head

How about "crocodile" vs. "alligator" clips?

Two differnat things. The alligaror jaws clamp together in a streight
line. hinge near the middle and the crocodial ciips jaws cross with the
hinge near the back end.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 00:44:41 +0100, wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 19:38:04 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 7/13/2016 4:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C
clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

http://www.accordbenchvices.com/gclamp-cclamp.html

As a Yank my preference is for C clamps and G strings.

It'a "c" clamp when it's open, and a "G" clamp when it's partway
closed and a "GD" clamp when you can't find it!!

And on the subject of clamps I still haven't figgured out why Britts
use "g-clamps" to "cramp" something together - - - -

We don't. Do you mean crimp? We don't use cramp as a verb. Normally we'd say something like "this tent is cramped", meaning it's so small we're sleeping on top of each other.

--
You know you're getting old when:
Your friends compliment you on your new alligator shoes and you're barefoot.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 00:38:04 +0100, Frank "frank wrote:

On 7/13/2016 4:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C
clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

http://www.accordbenchvices.com/gclamp-cclamp.html

As a Yank my preference is for C clamps and G strings.

At once?

--
A young girl had not been feeling well and went to her family doctor. "Young lady," the doctor began, "you're pregnant."
"But that can't be. The only men I've been with are nudists, and in our colony we practice sex only with our eyes."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 00:53:53 +0100, bob_villain wrote:

On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 6:28:50 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 00:23:35 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/13/2016 4:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C
clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

http://www.accordbenchvices.com/gclamp-cclamp.html

Never heard of a G clamp on this side of the pond. False advertising
though, they can be broken if you try hard enough or abuse them enough.

If you try to use them as a vice perhaps. But I find them very useful for holding something steady for gluing or cutting.

I find Brits *try* to be annoying with their use words. "Now lets's see what we can call this to totally alienate the other English speaking world? We are elitists...and no one can say otherwise!"

What words are you talking about?

--
A young girl had not been feeling well and went to her family doctor. "Young lady," the doctor began, "you're pregnant."
"But that can't be. The only men I've been with are nudists, and in our colony we practice sex only with our eyes."
"Well my dear," said the doctor, "someone in that colony is cockeyed."
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/13/2016 5:17 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

I can understand J-trap, but where does a P shape come into it?

Lay the P on its side...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/13/2016 7:15 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

We don't. Do you mean crimp? We don't use cramp as a verb. Normally we'd
say something like "this tent is cramped", meaning it's so small we're
sleeping on top of each other.

That surprises me to hear--I _know_ I've heard/seen the usage altho I
don't know that could put my hands on an example.

I remember getting a kick when last over there of the sign for a
cabinetmaker's shop of "Joinery for Purpose"...not a phrase one would
see over here; it'd just be "Custom-built" or "Custom-made".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 7:16:36 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

Take your ****ing G-clamp for example...C-clamp is a perfectly applied name. What shape do you have when your "so-called" G-clamp is fully opened?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/13/2016 7:46 PM, bob_villain wrote:
On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 5:13:06 PM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 14:33:40 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03 wrote:

Now I'm stuck with that info floating around in my head

How about "crocodile" vs. "alligator" clips?

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

Long-nose or needle-nose pliers? I say there's difference, but most think they're the same.

needle nose are most always long nose, but long nose are not always
needle nose.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 19:24:47 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 07/13/2016 7:15 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

We don't. Do you mean crimp? We don't use cramp as a verb. Normally we'd
say something like "this tent is cramped", meaning it's so small we're
sleeping on top of each other.

That surprises me to hear--I _know_ I've heard/seen the usage altho I
don't know that could put my hands on an example.

I remember getting a kick when last over there of the sign for a
cabinetmaker's shop of "Joinery for Purpose"...not a phrase one would
see over here; it'd just be "Custom-built" or "Custom-made".

That might surprise a member of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters
and Joiners of America.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 01:20:43 +0100, dpb wrote:

On 07/13/2016 5:17 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

I can understand J-trap, but where does a P shape come into it?

Lay the P on its side...

You've got a short circuit.

--
Japanese scientists have created a camera with a shutter speed so fast, they can now photograph a woman with her mouth shut.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 01:24:47 +0100, dpb wrote:

On 07/13/2016 7:15 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

We don't. Do you mean crimp? We don't use cramp as a verb. Normally we'd
say something like "this tent is cramped", meaning it's so small we're
sleeping on top of each other.

That surprises me to hear--I _know_ I've heard/seen the usage altho I
don't know that could put my hands on an example.

It's entirely possible I'm not familiar with the career path that would cause someone to use that expression.

I remember getting a kick when last over there of the sign for a
cabinetmaker's shop of "Joinery for Purpose"...not a phrase one would
see over here; it'd just be "Custom-built" or "Custom-made".

I've never seen Joinery for Purpose.

--
History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god. -- Giulian Buzila

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english

On 7/13/16 3:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C
clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

http://www.accordbenchvices.com/gclamp-cclamp.html

C clamp in the center of the U.S. This is a farming area
if that matters.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/13/2016 7:43 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

Dates from the "wayback" machine...when have you _ever_ seen the term in
advertising a commercial cabinet shop in the US? Since the early 20th
century, _maybe_?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 7:51:49 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

Wrong! Possibly a question mark, but certainly not a G. So, open- a C, half- a G, and closed- a D. It makes perfect sense to call it C, shape and the word Clamp starts with it. Done.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/13/2016 7:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've never seen Joinery for Purpose.

Was (I presume still is) the sign in window in cabinet shop in Chatham...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english

On 07/13/2016 02:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C
clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

C clamp, G string. Don't confuse the two. I'll admit the C clamps
usually look more like G's.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english

On 07/13/2016 03:23 PM, Richard Heathfield wrote:

I use an E clamp, an A clamp, a D clamp, a G clamp, a B clamp, and then
another E clamp, two octaves higher than the first.

I've sometimes wondered if 'capo' is related to 'capon' in some way.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english

On 7/13/2016 9:37 PM, dpb wrote:
On 07/13/2016 7:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've never seen Joinery for Purpose.

Was (I presume still is) the sign in window in cabinet shop in Chatham...

--

Quaint name, but I wonder how many non-woodworkers know what it means.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english

On 07/13/2016 06:15 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
We don't. Do you mean crimp? We don't use cramp as a verb. Normally
we'd say something like "this tent is cramped", meaning it's so small
we're sleeping on top of each other.

I can't help it if something cramps your style.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english

On 07/13/2016 06:15 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 00:38:04 +0100, Frank "frank wrote:

On 7/13/2016 4:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C
clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

http://www.accordbenchvices.com/gclamp-cclamp.html

As a Yank my preference is for C clamps and G strings.

At once?

Something has to hold the G string in place...
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usage.english

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 01:15:46 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:

We don't use cramp as a verb.

We do. It's an intransitive verb that is usually only actioned by
musculatu

- Due to the cold, my fist cramped closed.
- Don't yawn too hard or your digastricus might cramp.

I suppose that it is also correct to designate 'to cramp' a transitive
verb which requires musculature as a direct object. It is possible to
deliberately cramp a muscle, but normally this is not done due to the
pain involved.

CAM CLAMP. J T Woodworking 3 December 17th 07 12:18 AM
2X4 CLAMP J T Woodworking 0 December 14th 07 11:50 PM
CAM CLAMP J T Woodworking 0 December 14th 07 11:14 PM
TR-Clamp or Triple Clamp??? 444 Home Ownership 2 March 25th 06 10:18 PM
Supply 5,8,10 Pair Clamp Module,Orbit Clamp Module,LSA Profile-Anschlussleiste [email protected] Woodworking 0 October 28th 05 03:26 AM