Old March 21st 18, 09:02 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default For the person looking for a big jointer

It is a bit rusty but it is big

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...537971717.html

Old March 22nd 18, 12:36 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/2018 3:02 PM, Markem wrote:
It is a bit rusty but it is big

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...537971717.html

Aircraft Carrier Class. I wonder how much it weighs?
Old March 22nd 18, 03:46 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 7:36:43 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 3/21/2018 3:02 PM, Markem wrote:
It is a bit rusty but it is big

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...537971717.html

Aircraft Carrier Class. I wonder how much it weighs?

I think he priced it at about $1/pound. ;-)

Last page he

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/609/1593.pdf
Old March 22nd 18, 04:17 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 3:02:11 PM UTC-5, Markem wrote:
It is a bit rusty but it is big

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...537971717.html

I was looking for a 16".

There was a 20" Oliver in Houston about 5-6 months ago, for about $2K. The guy said someone offered $1500. I thought about it for a few weeks, but was hesitant for one that large. I suppose I could have asked if he'd take $1700 or $1800, if I had considered buying it. There's been a time or two when I thought to call and ask if it's still available.

It's been a while since I've posted: The cypress chairs are slow going. Hand hewing the parts is a lot harder and time consuming than I bargained for, but they are getting there. Using shaving horse, draw knives, scorps and chisels on dry/salvaged wood.... despite being cypress (generally soft wood), the carving is not nearly as easy as with green wood. I have 4 chairs at about 75% complete. The fifth chair is essentially not started, yet. They are heavy, so I've been trying to shave off as much bulk wood as possible.

I don't think I'll be doing another project as this, at least not multiple pieces in one project.... lots of work. But I wanted to do a project using only hand tools. This kind of work is for younger folks. I'm liking the chairs, though. I think they'll turn out pretty good.

Sonny
Old March 22nd 18, 03:57 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/2018 9:46 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 7:36:43 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 3/21/2018 3:02 PM, Markem wrote:
It is a bit rusty but it is big

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...537971717.html

Aircraft Carrier Class. I wonder how much it weighs?

I think he priced it at about $1/pound. ;-)

Last page he

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/609/1593.pdf

That is HEAVY! I think a large shop would almost be a requirement, you
are never going to want to move it once it has been placed.

Old March 22nd 18, 06:55 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/2018 10:46 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 7:36:43 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 3/21/2018 3:02 PM, Markem wrote:
It is a bit rusty but it is big

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...537971717.html

Aircraft Carrier Class. I wonder how much it weighs?

I think he priced it at about $1/pound. ;-)

Last page he

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/609/1593.pdf

Love the picture on page 4 of the pdf showing fingertips resting on the
"Circular Safety Cylinder" (cutting head). I'm sure it is safer than a
square head, but I don't think that picture would ever be published
these days.
Old March 22nd 18, 11:11 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 10:57:43 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 3/21/2018 9:46 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 7:36:43 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 3/21/2018 3:02 PM, Markem wrote:
It is a bit rusty but it is big

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...537971717.html

Aircraft Carrier Class. I wonder how much it weighs?

I think he priced it at about $1/pound. ;-)

Last page he

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/609/1593.pdf

That is HEAVY! I think a large shop would almost be a requirement, you
are never going to want to move it once it has been placed.

I bought it and put it in my shop. It fits quite nicely:

https://tinyurl.com/jointer-installed

Old March 23rd 18, 01:03 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/22/2018 5:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I bought it and put it in my shop. It fits quite nicely:

https://tinyurl.com/jointer-installed

Thought I was back in E TN there for a moment...

Old March 23rd 18, 02:35 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 15:11:10 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 10:57:43 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 3/21/2018 9:46 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 7:36:43 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 3/21/2018 3:02 PM, Markem wrote:
It is a bit rusty but it is big

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...537971717.html

Aircraft Carrier Class. I wonder how much it weighs?

I think he priced it at about $1/pound. ;-)

Last page he

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/609/1593.pdf

That is HEAVY! I think a large shop would almost be a requirement, you
are never going to want to move it once it has been placed.

I bought it and put it in my shop. It fits quite nicely:

https://tinyurl.com/jointer-installed

You just made my day! SROF