Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shelf Pin Jig And A Whole Lot Of Green Tools - Leon's Nephew,Perhaps?

On 2/24/2018 6:50 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 12:23:57 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 2/20/2018 4:40 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 10:11:49 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 2/18/2018 6:20 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 10:57:48 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 2/18/18 10:46 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 10:51:14 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 09:35:27 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 2/10/2018 12:52 PM,
wrote:

I'm tempted to hang the hose from the ceiling, though.

Me too but that eats up a lot of hose, probably at least 7 feet. And
the boom kit for the dust extractor is very pricey considering it adds
nothing to production other than keeping the hose from dragging.
True but I have one table I use for making dust (opposite my table
saw). I use it to break down panels, route, and sand, so it's a
perfect place to hang a hose. I was thinking about hanging a section
of 50mm hose to make up the length, while minimizing the suction loss.

I looked seriously at the boom but, as noted, it's quite expensive and
I really only need to use the boom in one place. I'd rather keep my
vac portable and the boom would just make it more awkward to move. It
also requires removal of the cord storage cleat, making it even more
difficult to move.

Keeping the hose from dragging is useful, IMO. I don't much like
having to stop a cut because the hose has wrapped itself around
something.

For the creatively devoid there is always this:

http://festoolownersgroup.com/festoo...oom/?topicseen

Interesting but I've found that these bearings are pretty bad if there
is any torque on the bearing. This application has a lot of off-axis
force on it.

Fashion a track to support the far end of the dowel to un-torque the bearing.

You don't need to go to this extreme, but you get the idea...

http://img.directindustry.com/images...01-7943423.jpg

If you don't buy the casters at HF, you have nothing to worry about.
Spend 12-15 bucks instead of 4 and you get a quality caster.
The things are rated for 100s of pounds. All my road cases have them
and they are under a constant loads, 24/7, and operate smoothly.
A vac hose and arm, even several feet out, isn't even going to be felt
by a decent caster.

They're rated for 100s of pounds straight through the axis, not so
much if there is an off-axis force. Every caster I've used is pretty
sloppy when it's unloaded.

You're not supposed to hang your shop vac from the thing, just the hose...

Do you know anything about physics?

Don't recall ever having one.

Obviously you haven't even considered it.

Whats having a physic got to do with hanging a shop vac from a boom?

Torque. DxF

Trust me, just hang the hose, not the whole shebang. The caster should
work fine for probably 100 years or so, at which time you won't care if
it starts to fail and needs replaced.

I think you're wrong. The bearing is being used in a way is
specifically not designed to be used. Instead of gravity holding the
thing together, it's trying to pull it apart. The torque on the
bearing multiplies the forces. But you've never heard of Physics and
likely haven't heard of "engineering" either, so I wouldn't expect you
to understand.

I understand you need to get your nose out of your high school books and
use some common sense. People are doing exactly this all the time and
it apparently works. The casters are made to hold up a fat ass, true,
but a little torque from a short boom holding a light plastic hose
should be no problem, as demonstrated in the link I provided.

I suggest you set up a lever, bolt down the caster as try to pull it
apart. Measure the force need to pull it apart, then calculate the
amount of force that would be applied from the hose/boom thing. If the
force is remotely close to that required to pull apart the castor, come
up with another idea, and post it on the festering tool site.

Be sure to tell the other festering tool guy using the boom that what he
is doing won't work.

--
Jack
An ounce of application is worth a ton of abstraction.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

You really are clueless.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Right!

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Well, we can agree on something. You are an idiot.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Sarcasm, like most everything, escapes you.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com