Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shelf Pin Jig And A Whole Lot Of Green Tools - Leon's Nephew,Perhaps?

On 2/24/2018 12:31 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/24/2018 11:23 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/20/2018 4:40 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 10:11:49 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 2/18/2018 6:20 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 10:57:48 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 2/18/18 10:46 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 10:51:14 AM UTC-5,
wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 09:35:27 -0500, Jack
wrote:

On 2/10/2018 12:52 PM,
wrote:

I'm tempted to hang the hose from the ceiling, though.

Me too but that eats up a lot of hose, probably at least 7
feet. And
the boom kit for the dust extractor is very pricey
considering it adds
nothing to production other than keeping the hose from
dragging.
True but I have one table I use for making dust (opposite my
table
saw). I use it to break down panels, route, and sand, so it's a
perfect place to hang a hose. I was thinking about hanging a
section
of 50mm hose to make up the length, while minimizing the
suction loss.

I looked seriously at the boom but, as noted, it's quite
expensive and
I really only need to use the boom in one place. I'd rather
keep my
vac portable and the boom would just make it more awkward to
move. It
also requires removal of the cord storage cleat, making it
even more
difficult to move.

Keeping the hose from dragging is useful, IMO. I don't much like
having to stop a cut because the hose has wrapped itself around
something.

For the creatively devoid there is always this:

http://festoolownersgroup.com/festoo...oom/?topicseen

Interesting but I've found that these bearings are pretty bad if
there
is any torque on the bearing. This application has a lot of
off-axis
force on it.

Fashion a track to support the far end of the dowel to un-torque
the bearing.

You don't need to go to this extreme, but you get the idea...

http://img.directindustry.com/images...01-7943423.jpg

If you don't buy the casters at HF, you have nothing to worry about.
Spend 12-15 bucks instead of 4 and you get a quality caster.
The things are rated for 100s of pounds. All my road cases have them
and they are under a constant loads, 24/7, and operate smoothly.
A vac hose and arm, even several feet out, isn't even going to be
felt
by a decent caster.

They're rated for 100s of pounds straight through the axis, not so
much if there is an off-axis force. Every caster I've used is pretty
sloppy when it's unloaded.

You're not supposed to hang your shop vac from the thing, just the
hose...

Do you know anything about physics?

Don't recall ever having one.

Whats having a physic got to do with hanging a shop vac from a boom?

Trust me, just hang the hose, not the whole shebang. The caster should
work fine for probably 100 years or so, at which time you won't care
if it starts to fail and needs replaced.

Leverage is the issue. The longer the boom the greater the small amount
of weight, at the end of that boom, will exert. Add to that the user
pulling past the stretch of the hose.

Yes, leverage is the issue, so don't hang the heavy shop vac from the
boom, just the hose. Should last a lifetime, even with a HF castor,
assuming they sell these castors.

Not saying your are wrong.

--
Jack
An ounce of application is worth a ton of abstraction.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 09:35:27 -0500, Jack
wrote:

On 2/10/2018 12:52 PM,
wrote:

[...]

But you are.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 09:35:27 -0500, Jack
wrote:

On 2/10/2018 12:52 PM,
wrote:

[...]

So go ahead, hang your shop vac from the boom, no one cares.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 09:35:27 -0500, Jack
wrote:

On 2/10/2018 12:52 PM,
wrote:

[...]

No need to prove to anyone how stupid you are. We got it, already.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 09:35:27 -0500, Jack
wrote:

On 2/10/2018 12:52 PM,
wrote:

[...]

How many of you do you think you are?

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 09:35:27 -0500, Jack
wrote:

On 2/10/2018 12:52 PM,
wrote:

[...]

Your admission of room-temperature IQ accepted.