Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shipping Options For Live Edge Slab?

I came home from work yesterday and found this leaning against my house.

http://i.imgur.com/GDv2Odp.jpg

My son got it from a friend and wants to make something with it. The problem is that the friend
(and me) live in Western NY and my son lives in Las Vegas. A mere 2300 miles. I'm planning
on calling around and looking for the cheapest shipping option, so my first call is to all the smart
folks in the wRec. Any ideas?

33" x 30€ x 2.5€ weighing in at 75lbs.

If anyone is headed in that direction, I could meet you part way. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 10:24:30 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I came home from work yesterday and found this leaning against my house.

http://i.imgur.com/GDv2Odp.jpg

My son got it from a friend and wants to make something with it. The problem is that the friend
(and me) live in Western NY and my son lives in Las Vegas. A mere 2300 miles. I'm planning
on calling around and looking for the cheapest shipping option, so my first call is to all the smart
folks in the wRec. Any ideas?

33" x 30€ x 2.5€ weighing in at 75lbs.

If anyone is headed in that direction, I could meet you part way. ;-)

Wait, I just thought of something...

We have Amazon Prime. If I sell it to him on Amazon he can get free shipping. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/10/18 9:24 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I came home from work yesterday and found this leaning against my house.

http://i.imgur.com/GDv2Odp.jpg

My son got it from a friend and wants to make something with it. The problem is that the friend
(and me) live in Western NY and my son lives in Las Vegas. A mere 2300 miles. I'm planning
on calling around and looking for the cheapest shipping option, so my first call is to all the smart
folks in the wRec. Any ideas?

33" x 30€ x 2.5€ weighing in at 75lbs.

If anyone is headed in that direction, I could meet you part way. ;-)

In the drumming community we are always looking for cheaper ways to ship
big things.
There are two options I have come up with over the years, both of which
may require a bit of travel-- well under 2300 miles. :-)

1. Fastenal will ship store to store. Take it there and they will send
it on one of their trucks, to the store nearest him.
https://www.fastenal.com/en/22/3pl-(...arty-logistics)

2. Greyhound. Same deal-- take it to nearest bus station and he picks
it up from bus station.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 10:45:57 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

You see, now there are a couple of options I never would have thought of.

My daughters are heading that way later this month and one idea was to have them check it
as an extra "bag" but at that size and weight it would be really tough for them.

I'll look into your suggestions. Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/10/2018 9:24 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I came home from work yesterday and found this leaning against my house.

http://i.imgur.com/GDv2Odp.jpg

My son got it from a friend and wants to make something with it. The problem is that the friend
(and me) live in Western NY and my son lives in Las Vegas. A mere 2300 miles. I'm planning
on calling around and looking for the cheapest shipping option, so my first call is to all the smart
folks in the wRec. Any ideas?

33" x 30€ x 2.5€ weighing in at 75lbs.

If anyone is headed in that direction, I could meet you part way. ;-)

What ever you make, I would be concerned about the relative humidity in
LV vs. from where you build and ship from.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/10/18 10:15 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 10:45:57 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/10/18 9:24 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I came home from work yesterday and found this leaning against my
house.

http://i.imgur.com/GDv2Odp.jpg

My son got it from a friend and wants to make something with it.
The problem is that the friend (and me) live in Western NY and my
son lives in Las Vegas. A mere 2300 miles. I'm planning on
calling around and looking for the cheapest shipping option, so
my first call is to all the smart folks in the wRec. Any ideas?

33" x 30€ x 2.5€ weighing in at 75lbs.

If anyone is headed in that direction, I could meet you part way.
;-)

In the drumming community we are always looking for cheaper ways to
ship big things. There are two options I have come up with over the
years, both of which may require a bit of travel-- well under 2300
miles. :-)

1. Fastenal will ship store to store. Take it there and they will
send it on one of their trucks, to the store nearest him.
https://www.fastenal.com/en/22/3pl-(...arty-logistics)

2. Greyhound. Same deal-- take it to nearest bus station and he
picks it up from bus station.

You see, now there are a couple of options I never would have thought
of.

My daughters are heading that way later this month and one idea was
to have them check it as an extra "bag" but at that size and weight
it would be really tough for them.

I'll look into your suggestions. Thanks.

I believe airlines used to do the same thing. Before 9/11 you could
send packages on a plane and have the recipient pick it up at baggage
claim.

Southwest airlines makes a ton of money shipping freight in the cargo
holds of their passenger planes.
I once took a flight from Baltimore to Nashville. It was the last
flight of the day, very late at night. There were 3 passengers-- myself
and 2 others. (Side note: the other guy on board decided to sit right
behind me. 137 seats on the plane and he sits right behind me.)

Anyway, I made a comment to the flight attendant, "You guys must be
taking a big loss on this flight with only 3 passengers." She replied,
"Actually we'll make a lot more than normal because we can take more
freight." That's when I learned about this practice and how much
freight Southwest ships.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 11:21:47 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 2/10/2018 9:24 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I came home from work yesterday and found this leaning against my house..

http://i.imgur.com/GDv2Odp.jpg

My son got it from a friend and wants to make something with it. The problem is that the friend
(and me) live in Western NY and my son lives in Las Vegas. A mere 2300 miles. I'm planning
on calling around and looking for the cheapest shipping option, so my first call is to all the smart
folks in the wRec. Any ideas?

33" x 30€ x 2.5€ weighing in at 75lbs.

If anyone is headed in that direction, I could meet you part way. ;-)

What ever you make, I would be concerned about the relative humidity in
LV vs. from where you build and ship from.

He's doing the building. I'm just doing the shipping.

Although, SWMBO did say that if I can't come up with a cost effective way to ship it
my son can enjoy the picture of the table I made from it. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 07:28:07 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 10:24:30 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I came home from work yesterday and found this leaning against my house.

http://i.imgur.com/GDv2Odp.jpg

My son got it from a friend and wants to make something with it. The problem is that the friend
(and me) live in Western NY and my son lives in Las Vegas. A mere 2300 miles. I'm planning
on calling around and looking for the cheapest shipping option, so my first call is to all the smart
folks in the wRec. Any ideas?

33" x 30” x 2.5” weighing in at 75lbs.

If anyone is headed in that direction, I could meet you part way. ;-)

Wait, I just thought of something...

We have Amazon Prime. If I sell it to him on Amazon he can get free shipping. :-)

No problem. The seller pays the shipping. But you can get it back by
simply adding it into the price of the item. Everyone wins! ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 08:15:54 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

I think you'll find there are weight restrictions on checked baggage,
too. They probably don't enforce it for "normal" baggage but for
something like this, they might get a little tight-jawed.

I'll look into your suggestions. Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/10/2018 10:53 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Cut it up so that it fits into a USPS bulk rate shipping box. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 07:24:25 -0800 (PST)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

33" x 30€ x 2.5€ weighing in at 75lbs.

ups or fedex

too heavy for usps

or post a need a ride add on craigslist
or contact a car hauler

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Fastenal quoted $125.

2. Greyhound. Same deal-- take it to nearest bus station and he picks
it up from bus station.

Greyhound Package Express lets you enter the From, To and When information
but when you click the Quote button it says:

"1003: Our site is currently undergoing maintenance. Quote and schedule
information is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."

It's been doing that all week. I'll have to call them when I get a chance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/18 6:48 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I may have missed it, but did you even get quotes from UPS or USPS?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 11:49:20 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

There's a site called uship.com that you may get lucky on if you can pair up the shipment with another already going from your needed point to point.
JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

You didn't miss anything...

- Fastenal - $125

- UPS $125 + $15 Pick Up (I can drop it off for free)

- USPS wants me to stay on hold for 30+ minutes (3 tries in 3 days) That ain't happening. If their
website is accurate, you can't ship anything over 70 lbs via USPS anyway.

- Greyhound (quoted via Busfreighter.com, an authorized reseller for GH Package Express):
- - - $95 Station-to-Station
- - - $138 Station-to-Door or Door-to-Station
- - - $184 Door-to-Door

I also submitted a RFQ at uship.com. We'll see what they come back with.

I should mention that at this point this may all just be a curiosity exercise. Once I told my son
that the slab weighed 75 lbs, he got a little hesitant. He was going to make some kind of sign
out of it, but 75 lbs is weigh (pun intended) too heavy for what he had in mind.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 9:08:43 AM UTC-5, Jay Pique wrote:
[...]

Isn't that what they use on the Shipping Wars show?

I submitted a RFQ. I'll let you know what they come back with.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I requested a bid from uship. I included a detailed description of the
piece of wood, along with the following image:

https://tinyurl.com/WoodenSlab

Full URL:

https://i.ushipcdn.com/resize.php?pa...g&w=720&h=1990

I got my first bid within a few hours. A mere $591. The bid came with
the following message.

"I ex-Military and a retired teach and coach. I have an BS in Kinesiology
(Science if the Body). I am the father of 6 and grandfather to 15. I have
owned dogs all of my life. I currently have 6 dogs on our half acre lot in
So Cal. While I am new to the shipping business I am really the best guy
for this job. I really would appreciate an opportunity from you to get your
dog(s) there, healthy, and on time. Thank you"

He must think it's from a dogwood tree.