Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bandsaw dust collection

Which 14" bandsaw has the best dust collection? My old Grizzly has a
collection port but all the dust at the cutting area just falls to
the floor.
--
G Ross
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 15:44:48 -0500, G Ross wrote:

Which 14" bandsaw has the best dust collection? My old Grizzly has a
collection port but all the dust at the cutting area just falls to
the floor.

The dust collection isn't even mentioned in the product description
for this one :

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...=1,41036,75262

... makes one wonder ..
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/22/2017 2:44 PM, G Ross wrote:
Which 14" bandsaw has the best dust collection?Â* My old Grizzly has a
collection port butÂ* all the dust at the cutting area just falls to the
floor.

That could be because of your DC. But not BS's all are created equal.
I'm not sure any do a superb job considering all the openings.

BUT if you want to see how effective you Griz works, run it with out the
DC turned on.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/22/2017 3:44 PM, G Ross wrote:
Which 14" bandsaw has the best dust collection?Â* My old Grizzly has a
collection port butÂ* all the dust at the cutting area just falls to the floor.

My Laguna Tools LT-16 has pretty decent collection but to make it work
fully requires two high-velocity 4" hose connections, one at the bottom and
one under the table. Unfortunately I only plumbed one so when I'm doing a
lot of sawing I hook up my Fein vacuum to the second port. Works OK but it
is a PITA so I don't do it much.
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to G Ross, Iggy wrote:
Don't bother, they're all horrible. Move yours. You can easily remove the door
or the opposite panel and temporarily replace them with cardboard until you
find the sweet spots. I don't even have a bandsaw, but I got my buddy setup
real nice years ago with top and bottom ports in a very bathtub plumbing style
arrangement.

Virtually no dust in the wheelhouse and even sucked dust from the cut and
table. Smaller diameter PVC pipe and fittings turned out to be key for a
strong and focused instant removal. A bunch of bad ideas are all over YouTube
(unbelievably they continue today) and I'm glad I hadn't seen them at the time.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...on-812450-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/22/2017 3:44 PM, G Ross wrote:
Which 14" bandsaw has the best dust collection?Â* My old Grizzly has a
collection port butÂ* all the dust at the cutting area just falls to the
floor.

I don't own one, but a Laguna. The way they engineered the cutting area,
they have a piece of wood that sections off that area and can then be
sucked clean.

That's my bet for the best. We'll see when Festool does their BS ;-)

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

John McGaw wrote:
On 11/22/2017 3:44 PM, G Ross wrote:
Which 14" bandsaw has the best dust collection? My old Grizzly has a
collection port but all the dust at the cutting area just falls to the floor.

My Laguna Tools LT-16 has pretty decent collection but to make it work
fully requires two high-velocity 4" hose connections, one at the bottom and
one under the table. Unfortunately I only plumbed one so when I'm doing a
lot of sawing I hook up my Fein vacuum to the second port. Works OK but it
is a PITA so I don't do it much.

Thanks. I have a 4 or 5 inch connection to my Griz but dust still
follows the blade up out of the lower part of the saw. Maybe I need
to re-check the air flow through that hose.

--
G Ross
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/23/2017 1:06 AM, G Ross wrote:
John McGaw wrote:
On 11/22/2017 3:44 PM, G Ross wrote:
Which 14" bandsaw has the best dust collection?ÂÂ* My old Grizzly has a
collection port butÂÂ* all the dust at the cutting area just falls to
the floor.

My Laguna Tools LT-16 has pretty decent collection but to make it work
fully requires two high-velocity 4" hose connections, one at the
bottom and
one under the table. Unfortunately I only plumbed one so when I'm doing a
lot of sawing I hook up my Fein vacuum to the second port. Works OK
but it
is a PITA so I don't do it much.

Thanks. I have a 4 or 5 inch connection to my Griz but dust still
follows the blade up out of the lower part of the saw.Â* Maybe I need to
re-check the air flow through that hose.

Keep in mind that you cannot stop air flow and or seal up all openings
as it will render the collection useless.
IMHO band saws have way too many openings to have effective dust
control. But maybe if you quadruple your CFM from the DC.....
Posted to rec.woodworking

G Ross wrote:

Which 14" bandsaw has the best dust collection? My old Grizzly has a
collection port but all the dust at the cutting area just falls to
the floor.

guess you could get a new saw but iirc there are aftermarket options
that can be fitted

have seen homemade shrouds that fill in the gaps left by the manufacturer

maybe even grizzly offers solutions for better dust collection