Posted to rec.woodworking

Default GE Silicone II failure

I just checked the seal between polycarbonate and wood on a frame, and the GE Silicone II I put on there is peeling off and not keeping out water. Anyone else have this problem with this product? Is there something else you recommend?

Thanks,

Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, August 18, 2017 at 1:31:06 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
I just checked the seal between polycarbonate and wood on a frame, and the GE Silicone II I put on there is peeling off and not keeping out water. Anyone else have this problem with this product? Is there something else you recommend?

Thanks,

Mike

A good answer will require good information. Is the wood painted/primed? Is it siding, OSB, plywood, framing material, etc.?

Is it continuously wet? Is this an interior or exterior application? Is it both?

Did you get your surfaces prepped perfectly clean before sealing?

"My caulk isn't sticking" is too vague.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 11:31:01 -0700 (PDT), Michael
wrote:

I just checked the seal between polycarbonate and wood on a frame, and the GE Silicone II I put on there is peeling off and not keeping out water. Anyone else have this problem with this product? Is there something else you recommend?

Thanks,

Mike

You pretty well need a urethane adhesive like is used to install
automotive windsheilds.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 12:41:52 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, August 18, 2017 at 1:31:06 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
I just checked the seal between polycarbonate and wood on a frame, and the GE Silicone II I put on there is peeling off and not keeping out water. Anyone else have this problem with this product? Is there something else you recommend?

Thanks,

Mike

A good answer will require good information. Is the wood painted/primed? Is it siding, OSB, plywood, framing material, etc.?

Is it continuously wet? Is this an interior or exterior application? Is it both?

Did you get your surfaces prepped perfectly clean before sealing?

"My caulk isn't sticking" is too vague.

Robert

and where is it not sticking, the wood or the polycarbonate??
Silicone doesn't stick to policarbonate very well.Particularly if it
is not PERFECTLY clean.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

It bubbled off the polycarbonate. I guess that's the part I'm not understanding. Isn't silicone supposed to stick well to polycarbonate? They were clean. I'd just pulled the plastic off when I installed last fall.

Thanks.

Q. What type of sealant should be used on sheets?
A. Only use a €ś100% silicone€ť sealant on polycarbonate sheets. Silicone sealants do not degrade in sunlight. They resist mold and mildew and remain flexible, allowing for building movement. Do not use roofing caulk. Consequences of using incompatible sealant are inadequate adhesion, too rigid of a bond, and/or the product contains chemicals that may discolor or damage the polycarbonate sheet. Check the product information on the sealant label BEFORE using to ensure compatibility.

http://www.ameriluxinternational.com/faq.php

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

A. Only use a “100% silicone” sealant on polycarbonate sheets. Silicone sealants do not degrade in sunlight. They resist mold and mildew and remain flexible, allowing for building movement. Do not use roofing caulk. Consequences of using incompatible sealant are inadequate adhesion, too rigid of a bond, and/or the product contains chemicals that may discolor or damage the polycarbonate sheet. Check the product information on the sealant label BEFORE using to ensure compatibility.

http://www.ameriluxinternational.com/faq.php

A friend had a cold windy ride home from somewhere between Thunder
Bay and Kitchener Ontario when the replacement window he installed on
his Pelican aircraft blew out on route because he cheaped out and
siliconed a piece of polycarbonate in place instead of using the
recommended urethane adhesive.

What is difference between Industrial/construction RTV Silicone andBig Box Silicone Rubber hr(bob) [email protected] Home Repair 5 July 16th 10 07:57 PM
Silicone sealant vs silicone adhesive? Walter Cohen Home Repair 8 October 31st 07 11:32 AM
Silicone sealant vs silicone adhesive? Walter Cohen Home Ownership 8 October 31st 07 11:32 AM
Silicone over silicone? MB UK diy 1 August 28th 06 12:03 AM
Silicone vs silicone [email protected] UK diy 2 April 30th 06 01:02 PM