Posted to rec.woodworking

Default My New Bosch Miter Saw Is Defective. :-(

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message news:...

wrote in message

On Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 10:08:20 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

I have cut a lot of Hardie with a dedicated Sears circular saw and with
a diamond blade, no teeth. It works well but stirs a lot of dust.

I am the only one here that uses a shear? I can't imagine using a saw on
cementitious board, regardless of manufacturer. I bought my shear about
15 - 18 years ago and it still has the same blades. A small learning
curve, but no dust, nothing but little curly strips to clean up, much
faster than a saw, more accurate, much safer (no dust mask needed)and very
quiet, too.

I have a Porter Cable fiber cement shear... Cutting siding with no dust is
wonderful! The fiber cement trim still requires a diamond blade though as
it is too thick for the shear. I don't think P-C offers that tool any more
but there are certainly others on the market.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 10:44:26 AM UTC-6, John Grossbohlin wrote:

I have a Porter Cable fiber cement shear... Cutting siding with no dust is
wonderful! The fiber cement trim still requires a diamond blade though as
it is too thick for the shear. I don't think P-C offers that tool any more
but there are certainly others on the market.

Isn't it the truth? I still see guys out there with cheap miter saws, jig saws, circular saws and even small grinders standing in clouds of dust while cutting, breathing in all the silica, and coating everything within a 100 feet with that abrasive dust.

I am actually no innovator on using the shear, although I was the first one I know to have one. It was desperation. I sided LARGE house on three sides with Hardie and used a saw for all the cuts. I had to power wash patios, pay for car washes, replant delicate plants, etc. Immediately behind the cutting area there was a fence, and behind the fence was the neighbor's really nice little garden. Well tended and very pretty, I killed the whole thing with the silica dust.

I paid their gardener about a 600 bucks to dig up the top layer of soil, add new, then replace all her plants (garden was about 50'X8')to her specs.

By the time I counted up all the extra expense from the dust to clean everything up and included the fact that no one else in that neighborhood wanted that done to their house (too messy!) I went found the shear and have stayed with it ever since. It is useful enough that I have rented it to a couple of fellow contractors to use for a couple of days at a time, and they always come back telling me they are going to buy their own. So far, no sign of that, though.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

[...]

I've had my P-C shear for about 12 years... I keep it on a short leash so it
doesn't walk off. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 18:05:27 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

I have to reside one side of my house this summer and some other
repair work. What short of shear are we talking about?

Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/PacTool-International-SS424-Backerboard-Shear/dp/B000807GPO/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1486436501&sr=1-3&keywords=hardie+shears

Or this:
https://www.amazon.com/Bullet-Tools-Sharpshooter-Laminate-Flooring/dp/B00W9T4TU2/ref=sr_1_13?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1486436501&sr=1-13&keywords=hardie+shears

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Definetly not the laminate flooring unit.

More like (this is the small one)
https://www.amazon.com/Bullet-Tools-...=hardie+shears

--
Jeff

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I take that back, the laminate flooring, is just a smaller model.

--
Jeff

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I've had my P-C shear for about 12 years... I keep it on a short leash so
it
doesn't walk off. ;~)

I have to reside one side of my house this summer and some other
repair work. What short of shear are we talking about?

On Amazon search for "DEWALT D28605" as an example or "fiber cement shears"
for a selection. There are both electric and pneumatic versions available...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I've had my P-C shear for about 12 years... I keep it on a short leash so
it
doesn't walk off. ;~)

I have to reside one side of my house this summer and some other
repair work. What short of shear are we talking about?

On Amazon search for "DEWALT D28605" as an example or "fiber cement shears"
for a selection. There are both electric and pneumatic versions available...

OK, that's one for the manual shear type and one for the electric
drill type. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]