Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need help rebuilding the lower rollers on a Rockwell 22-650 planer

Hello, all -

We've got a Rockwell 13" woodworking planer, about 30 years old, model
22-650, whose lower rollers need to be rebuilt and we don't know how to
dismantle them. This is a link to some pictures on PhotoBucket that show
what I'm talking about: http://tinyurl.com/gnfcbbf

The rollers themselves roll on shafts that pass somehow through
through-holes in either side of the base casting. What you see from the
outside of the castings on either side are adjustment fittings that are
slotted for a screwdriver blade with a hole drilled axially and tapped for
what seems to be a 5mm metric machine screw with a fine thread, maybe 0.8
pitch. The fittings are eccentric and you adjust the height of the rollers
by turning the fittings with a screwdriver and then tightening down a set
screw to keep the adjustment. The rollers themselves seem to be rotating on
through-shafts that look to be around 9/16" to 5/8" in diameter or so. The
manual is silent on the issue, and the exploded drawing shows the slots in
the base for the rollers, but there's no exploded view of the roller
assemblies.

We need to get them out and find out what kind of bearings the rollers roll
on, replace the bearings, and reinstall them. We threaded a machine screw
into one end of one of them over a big hex nut and some wide washers, and
then carefully tightened it down. The shaft came towards us a little way
(shown in one of the pictures) and then came to a stop. Possibly a slide
hammer would do the job, possibly a pin punch and a lump hammer would drive
them out, but we're not going to start banging on this thing until we have
some confidence that we're doing the right thing. Ideally we'd like to hear
from someone who's done this disassembly and can tell us how to proceed, or
who has done the job on a similarly-designed tool.

I'm posting this on both the old woodworking machines web site and the
woodworking/metalworking internet newsgroups.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/9/2017 7:16 PM, tdacon wrote:
[...]

Without first hand knowledge so you understand.
I'll bet those eccentric nuts are also holding the shaft in place, so
remove the slotted eccentrics, both sides and the roller should then be
unsupported.you may have to push he roller into one of the eccentric's
former spots to get the other end out. But that should release the roller.

--
Jeff

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 6:16:35 PM UTC-6, tdacon wrote:
Hello, all -

We've got a Rockwell 13" woodworking planer, about 30 years old, model
22-650, whose lower rollers need to be rebuilt and we don't know how to
dismantle them. This is a link to some pictures on PhotoBucket that show
what I'm talking about: http://tinyurl.com/gnfcbbf

Tom

Does this pic help, maybe to get some idea of the disassembly:
http://www.mikestools.com/Delta-Tool...-071-0001.aspx

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

woodchucker wrote:
[...]

I'm betting that the eccentrics have a groove around the outside that the
set screw rides in . Get one or both eccentrics out and the center shaft
should slide right out . Another thought , the eccentric might be machined
on the ends of the center shaft , easier to keep both sides the same height
..
--
Snag

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message

Does this pic help, maybe to get some idea of the disassembly:
http://www.mikestools.com/Delta-Tool...-071-0001.aspx

Sonny

Does it ever! Thanks, Sonny. That image is probably going to break the log
jam for us.

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"tdacon" wrote in message news
Thanks, guys. This helps. It looks like what we need to do is just be a
little more assertive backing those adjusters out and we'll be able to get
the thing apart. Sonny's picture was invaluable.

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"tdacon" wrote in message news
"tdacon" wrote in message news
Thanks, guys. This helps. It looks like what we need to do is just be a
little more assertive backing those adjusters out and we'll be able to get
the thing apart. Sonny's picture was invaluable.

I looked at this while eating lunch... needed the mental break from staring
at data! LOL

Anyhow, it occurred to me that the liberal application of Liquid Wrench on
the adjusters/casting, and fine emery paper, might help get them moving...
they probably haven't been moved in 30 years...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 10:24:25 AM UTC-6, tdacon wrote:
"Sonny" wrote in message

Does this pic help, maybe to get some idea of the disassembly:
http://www.mikestools.com/Delta-Tool...-071-0001.aspx

Sonny

Does it ever! Thanks, Sonny. That image is probably going to break the log
jam for us.

Tom

You're welcome. Maybe, take some pics and post to OWWM.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Did you ever get the rollers out of your 22-65o planer bed? I have one of these too and need to replace the bearings as well.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...50-804603-.htm