Paul O.

Default Cleaning planer rollers

Instructions say to use a non flammable tar and pitch remover. How bout
denatured alcohol, or something else I may have around. Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 23:03:21 GMT, "Paul O."
wrote:

Instructions say to use a non flammable tar and pitch remover. How bout
denatured alcohol, or something else I may have around. Thanks.

Try it. It won't hurt

I clean nearly everything like this with acetone, because it's cheap
and I keep a bottle handy.

Rick Samuel

keep it off your skin, wear gloves

Patriarch

Andy Dingley wrote in
:

wrote:

Instructions say to use a non flammable tar and pitch remover. How bout
denatured alcohol, or something else I may have around. Thanks.

Try it. It won't hurt

I clean nearly everything like this with acetone, because it's cheap
and I keep a bottle handy.

but the aftereffects of _references_ to acetone are long and painful. ;-)

Patriarch,
who wears gloves cleaning the planer so as not to cut up his hands.

George

"Paul O." wrote in message
Instructions say to use a non flammable tar and pitch remover. How bout
denatured alcohol, or something else I may have around. Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Alcohol won't work as well as mineral spirits. Resin more soluble in the
latter.

Acetone can be a problem with a lot of plastics - sometimes even plastic
things you don't see get exposed to acetone by the flow. I wouldn't.

Stephen M

My experience with my DW733 has been that the rollers get a fine coat of
dust which makes them loose their grip. I wipe them with a (water) moistened
rag and they are like new. I wax the table while I'm at it.

I do this every few hours of use (which is actually quite a bit of wood),
as needed.

It's not the conventional wisdom, but it does work for me.

Steve

"Paul O." wrote in message
Instructions say to use a non flammable tar and pitch remover. How bout
denatured alcohol, or something else I may have around. Thanks.

--
Paul O.

My planer works best once the rollers get a coat of pine resin on them.
Is there anything a person can put ON the rollers to improve their grip?

woodworker88

I would try a product called replacetone, a noncaustic alternative to
acetone. It might be more difficult to find and possible more
expensive, but it won't kill your hands or sensitive parts of your
machine. Another thing to try would be turpenoid, sorta like
turpentine, but not solvent based. Worked well on some paint brushes
soaked in tar. The best product would probably be the resin remover
sold for saw blades. This is probably what they were refering to in
the instructions. This stuff is so useful, though,I would definitly
buy a can of it. It works wonders on everything that cuts, even bench
plane soles and irons.

woodworker88

Not a bit toxic, though. Try very nasty.

Hax Planx

Paul O. says...

Instructions say to use a non flammable tar and pitch remover. How bout
denatured alcohol, or something else I may have around. Thanks.

How about a detergent like a really strong citrus cleaner? Acetone and
denatured alcohol are both very flammable. Acetone is murder on most
plastics. If you aren't worried about the flammable part, VM&P naphtha
is a better universal organic solvent than either alcohol or acetone and
it is reasonably safe for most plastics. Naphtha will also sweep away
any oil and grease residue which acetone and alcohol aren't very good at
dissolving. Naphtha will evaporate almost as quickly as acetone.
Paul O.

"Stephen M" wrote in message
My experience with my DW733 has been that the rollers get a fine coat of
dust which makes them loose their grip. I wipe them with a (water)
moistened
rag and they are like new. I wax the table while I'm at it.

I do this every few hours of use (which is actually quite a bit of wood),
as needed.

It's not the conventional wisdom, but it does work for me.

Steve

Thanks, I will try exactly that. My instructions says to keep the bed waxed,
so was going to do that.
--
Paul O.