Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ridiculous new tool from Woodpeckers

They are offering an organizer for 189.
Just got an email for this:
http://www.woodpeck.com/calavera_5lb_bag_system.html

It's basically 5 off the shelf chalk bags (for climbers) and a bar to
mount them to.

You can get a chalk bag for 7.25 individually. So 5 are 36.25, a bar
like they are providing is about $5 in parts if you make it yourself.

Let's pay a premium for the name.. yea... lets get raked over the coals.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/22/2016 12:56 PM, woodchucker wrote:
They are offering an organizer for 189.
Just got an email for this:
http://www.woodpeck.com/calavera_5lb_bag_system.html

It's basically 5 off the shelf chalk bags (for climbers) and a bar to
mount them to.

You can get a chalk bag for 7.25 individually. So 5 are 36.25, a bar
like they are providing is about $5 in parts if you make it yourself.

Let's pay a premium for the name.. yea... lets get raked over the coals.

It did not even look like anything I would ever use....
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/22/2016 1:56 PM, woodchucker wrote:
They are offering an organizer for 189.
Just got an email for this:
http://www.woodpeck.com/calavera_5lb_bag_system.html

It's basically 5 off the shelf chalk bags (for climbers) and a bar to
mount them to.

You can get a chalk bag for 7.25 individually. So 5 are 36.25, a bar
like they are providing is about $5 in parts if you make it yourself.

Let's pay a premium for the name.. yea... lets get raked over the coals.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall in their marketing meetings. I'm sure
some will buy it but I can't imagine that quantity will significant.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/22/2016 2:39 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 11/22/2016 1:56 PM, woodchucker wrote:
They are offering an organizer for 189.
Just got an email for this:
http://www.woodpeck.com/calavera_5lb_bag_system.html

It's basically 5 off the shelf chalk bags (for climbers) and a bar to
mount them to.

You can get a chalk bag for 7.25 individually. So 5 are 36.25, a bar
like they are providing is about $5 in parts if you make it yourself.

Let's pay a premium for the name.. yea... lets get raked over the coals.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall in their marketing meetings. I'm sure
some will buy it but I can't imagine that quantity will significant.

Which then leads to the question why bother? It's just something that
makes me dislike the brand more and more. They have a few decent items,
and a lot of ****.

I would buy Starret before I ever bought many of their measuring tools.
While Starrett is premium, many times it's cheaper than WP.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 14:59:14 -0500, woodchucker
wrote:

[...]

Their story boards an Peolini (sp?) rules are really nice. It's
expensive stuff, to be sure, but it is good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 1:56:32 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
They are offering an organizer for 189.
Just got an email for this:
http://www.woodpeck.com/calavera_5lb_bag_system.html

It's basically 5 off the shelf chalk bags (for climbers) and a bar to
mount them to.

You can get a chalk bag for 7.25 individually. So 5 are 36.25, a bar
like they are providing is about $5 in parts if you make it yourself.

Let's pay a premium for the name.. yea... lets get raked over the coals.

--
Jeff

You are not being fair.

For $189 you get an extra base bracket so you can transfer the bar to
a different location when desired.

Now we're talking about a real value!

Posted to rec.woodworking

I, er, get my, er, (appropriatly sized) draw-er-string storage bags, foyer free, every, er, time I buyer my Crown Royal.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
I, er, get my, er, (appropriatly sized) draw-er-string storage bags, foyer
free, every, er, time I buyer my Crown Royal.

Sonny

Lots of draw string bags around here from the wife's shoe collection.

Oh... :O you didn't know about those?

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
They are offering an organizer for 189.
Just got an email for this:
http://www.woodpeck.com/calavera_5lb_bag_system.html

6 bags for $118... wow, such a deal! : )
As someone else mentioned, they are tarnishing their brand...

It's basically 5 off the shelf chalk bags (for climbers) and a bar to
mount them to.

You can get a chalk bag for 7.25 individually. So 5 are 36.25, a bar
like they are providing is about $5 in parts if you make it yourself.

Let's pay a premium for the name.. yea... lets get raked over the coals.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/22/2016 2:23 PM, Bill wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
They are offering an organizer for 189.
Just got an email for this:
http://www.woodpeck.com/calavera_5lb_bag_system.html

6 bags for $118... wow, such a deal! : )
As someone else mentioned, they are tarnishing their brand...

It's basically 5 off the shelf chalk bags (for climbers) and a bar to
mount them to.

You can get a chalk bag for 7.25 individually. So 5 are 36.25, a bar
like they are providing is about $5 in parts if you make it yourself.

Let's pay a premium for the name.. yea... lets get raked over the coals.

Well this is a product that Woodpeckers sells, or wants to sell. Not
knowing their actual cost they may have to sell or try to sell at that
price to maintain their profit margin.

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
They are offering an organizer for 189.
Just got an email for this:
http://www.woodpeck.com/calavera_5lb_bag_system.html

6 bags for $118... wow, such a deal! : )
As someone else mentioned, they are tarnishing their brand...

It's basically 5 off the shelf chalk bags (for climbers) and a bar to
mount them to.

You can get a chalk bag for 7.25 individually. So 5 are 36.25, a bar
like they are providing is about $5 in parts if you make it yourself.

Let's pay a premium for the name.. yea... lets get raked over the
coals.

Well this is a product that Woodpeckers sells, or wants to sell. Not
knowing their actual cost they may have to sell or try to sell at that
price to maintain their profit margin.

Or they could "just say, no thank you" as a way of being respectful to
their customers...

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
They are offering an organizer for 189.
Just got an email for this:
http://www.woodpeck.com/calavera_5lb_bag_system.html

6 bags for $118... wow, such a deal! : )
As someone else mentioned, they are tarnishing their brand...

It's basically 5 off the shelf chalk bags (for climbers) and a bar to
mount them to.

You can get a chalk bag for 7.25 individually. So 5 are 36.25, a bar
like they are providing is about $5 in parts if you make it yourself.

Let's pay a premium for the name.. yea... lets get raked over the
coals.

Well this is a product that Woodpeckers sells, or wants to sell. Not
knowing their actual cost they may have to sell or try to sell at that
price to maintain their profit margin.

Or they could "just say, no thank you" as a way of being respectful to
their customers...

Your are assuming that they don't have money to throw away. I certainly
would not buy it but there are customers for "todays" Bridge City Tools
and Audi's.
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
They are offering an organizer for 189.
Just got an email for this:
http://www.woodpeck.com/calavera_5lb_bag_system.html

6 bags for $118... wow, such a deal! : )
As someone else mentioned, they are tarnishing their brand...

It's basically 5 off the shelf chalk bags (for climbers) and a bar to
mount them to.

You can get a chalk bag for 7.25 individually. So 5 are 36.25, a bar
like they are providing is about $5 in parts if you make it yourself.

Let's pay a premium for the name.. yea... lets get raked over the coals.

Well this is a product that Woodpeckers sells, or wants to sell. Not
knowing their actual cost they may have to sell or try to sell at that
price to maintain their profit margin.

It's not a good idea to tarnish your reputation selling such things
because you have to maintain margins. Just don't do it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
They are offering an organizer for 189.
Just got an email for this:
http://www.woodpeck.com/calavera_5lb_bag_system.html

6 bags for $118... wow, such a deal! : )
As someone else mentioned, they are tarnishing their brand...

It's basically 5 off the shelf chalk bags (for climbers) and a bar to
mount them to.

You can get a chalk bag for 7.25 individually. So 5 are 36.25, a bar
like they are providing is about $5 in parts if you make it yourself.

Let's pay a premium for the name.. yea... lets get raked over the coals.

Well this is a product that Woodpeckers sells, or wants to sell. Not
knowing their actual cost they may have to sell or try to sell at that
price to maintain their profit margin.

It's not a good idea to tarnish your reputation selling such things
because you have to maintain margins. Just don't do it.

I'm looking from a different stand point. I already do not care for
Woodpeckers business model so from that stand point adding a brand product
that is way over priced seems par for the course. Basically for me their
reputation was already tarnished.
I do not however think this tarnishes the quality of the tools that they
manufacture. Either way if there is an audience that buys this particular
product they will be making sales, the name of the game.
If Woodpeckers did not have the advantage of being the manufacturer of many
quality tools I would not buy anything from them. 99% of the time i only
go to their site, with out being lured in, to look at the tools that they
manufacture.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/22/2016 1:56 PM, woodchucker wrote:
They are offering an organizer for 189.
Just got an email for this:
http://www.woodpeck.com/calavera_5lb_bag_system.html

It's basically 5 off the shelf chalk bags (for climbers) and a bar to
mount them to.

You can get a chalk bag for 7.25 individually. So 5 are 36.25, a bar
like they are providing is about $5 in parts if you make it yourself.

Let's pay a premium for the name.. yea... lets get raked over the coals.

They would make good liners for the coffee cans.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 13:56:24 -0500, woodchucker
wrote:

They are offering an organizer for 189.
Just got an email for this:
http://www.woodpeck.com/calavera_5lb_bag_system.html

It's basically 5 off the shelf chalk bags (for climbers) and a bar to
mount them to.

You can get a chalk bag for 7.25 individually. So 5 are 36.25, a bar
like they are providing is about $5 in parts if you make it yourself.

Let's pay a premium for the name.. yea... lets get raked over the coals.

Saw that today. It's one of the dumbest things I've seen them do. The
$600 doweling jig was at least pretty. I like a lot of their stuff
but it seems they're now trying to see how far they can push the
envelope.

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote in
:

wrote:

They are offering an organizer for 189.
Just got an email for this:
http://www.woodpeck.com/calavera_5lb_bag_system.html

It's basically 5 off the shelf chalk bags (for climbers) and a bar to
mount them to.

You can get a chalk bag for 7.25 individually. So 5 are 36.25, a bar
like they are providing is about $5 in parts if you make it yourself.

Let's pay a premium for the name.. yea... lets get raked over the
coals.

Saw that today. It's one of the dumbest things I've seen them do. The
$600 doweling jig was at least pretty. I like a lot of their stuff
but it seems they're now trying to see how far they can push the
envelope.

OTOH, having a somewhat crazy or ridiculous thing to sell does get your
stuff and site talked about on the various forums and message boards. A
user might just look around a bit and find something they want and make
a purchase.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 23 Nov 2016 05:04:28 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

krw wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

All exposure is good? OK, if you say so but I wouldn't want customers
laughing at my products. Someone might hear them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

There are a few on here that laugh at SS and Festool. Every one sells
something that someone does not like.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I don't know any laughing at SS or Festool. May can't justify the
cost and that's completely understandable. I can't justify HF power
tools, so...

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote in news:ftlb3ch2mkmh0m48rran8ocncqtdusv61o@
4ax.com:

On 23 Nov 2016 05:04:28 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

OTOH, having a somewhat crazy or ridiculous thing to sell does get your
stuff and site talked about on the various forums and message boards.

user might just look around a bit and find something they want and make
a purchase.

All exposure is good? OK, if you say so but I wouldn't want customers
laughing at my products. Someone might hear them.

No, but sometimes a crazy or ridiculous thing does more good than harm.
If you're nothing but a joke you'll be treated that way, but if you've
got a solid core you may find the ridiculous side actually nets you
customers you never would have had.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 24 Nov 2016 04:28:24 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

krw wrote in news:ftlb3ch2mkmh0m48rran8ocncqtdusv61o@
4ax.com:

On 23 Nov 2016 05:04:28 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

OTOH, having a somewhat crazy or ridiculous thing to sell does get your
stuff and site talked about on the various forums and message boards.

user might just look around a bit and find something they want and make
a purchase.

All exposure is good? OK, if you say so but I wouldn't want customers
laughing at my products. Someone might hear them.

No, but sometimes a crazy or ridiculous thing does more good than harm.
If you're nothing but a joke you'll be treated that way, but if you've
got a solid core you may find the ridiculous side actually nets you
customers you never would have had.

An April 1st joke is one thing. A *totally* useless, expensive POS
doesn't do the reputation any good. As I said, I really like their
tools but a friend and I laughed a lot at the doweling jig. This is
_much_ worse.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Does anyone store anything in bags in their shop? Everything in my shop is in hard sided containers. I consider cardboard boxes to be hard sided. The pictures show bolts, screws, Dominoes, dowels in the bags. But all of these items come in boxes or maybe tubes from the manufacturer. Why would you take the items out of their hard sided containers and put them into these soft sided bags? They are easier to store and access in their original hard sided containers.

Besides the extreme cost, the whole concept seems bizarre to me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 9:52:18 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Does anyone store anything in bags in their shop?

Rags. I have a plastic bag of rags hanging on a hook in my shop.
It's a larger-than-grocery-size bag, but with the handles. When
hanging on the hook it's "closed" so the dust stays out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 7:26:08 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 9:52:18 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Does anyone store anything in bags in their shop?

Rags. I have a plastic bag of rags hanging on a hook in my shop.
It's a larger-than-grocery-size bag, but with the handles. When
hanging on the hook it's "closed" so the dust stays out.

Makes sense. My rags are in a bucket. So has WoodPeckers created the most expensive rag holder in the world?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 18:52:16 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Does anyone store anything in bags in their shop? Everything in my shop is in hard sided containers.

Do zip lock bags count? If yes, I have and will continue too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Does anyone store anything in bags in their shop? Everything in my shop is in hard sided containers.

Do zip lock bags count? If yes, I have and will continue too.

My first thought was "zip lock bags?", but then I realized I have my new & used tack cloths in a zip lock bag. .... biting my tongue!

Sonny

OT - Sorta - Woodpeckers: RonB[_2_] Home Repair 7 June 17th 12 01:07 PM
Woodpeckers Kurt Ullman Home Repair 24 October 17th 11 01:05 PM
Woodpeckers? Mark & Juanita Woodworking 54 January 17th 09 02:05 AM
Woodpeckers [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 10th 07 03:55 AM
Ridiculous misspellings on a $4,725 tool! Lane Metalworking 8 April 24th 05 08:46 PM