Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Chair Restoration

Hi Group, Got a couple of questions about restoring a chair. My wife
purchased this chair at a storage unit sale and it's missing the the
wooden back. We do have the matching cushion for the back She wants to
build a new wooden back frame for the cushion. We're looking for some
pictures of a similar chair/back and a source for hardware.I'd like to
include the links to some pictures of the chair but I don't know how to
get the links to Photobucket into the posting. The servr I'm usingmay
not allow it. Thanks, Jim

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/...done/chair.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/...one/chair1.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

James wrote:

Hi Group, Got a couple of questions about restoring a chair. My wife
purchased this chair at a storage unit sale and it's missing the the
wooden back. We do have the matching cushion for the back She wants to
build a new wooden back frame for the cushion. We're looking for some
pictures of a similar chair/back and a source for hardware.I'd like to
include the links to some pictures of the chair but I don't know how
to get the links to Photobucket into the posting. The server I'm
using may not allow it. Thanks, Jim

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/...done/chair.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/...one/chair1.jpg

Well it looks like I got it to work. Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 4:31:49 PM UTC-6, James wrote:
James wrote:

sing may not allow it. Thanks, Jim

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/...done/chair.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/...one/chair1.jpg

Well it looks like I got it to work. Jim

You can't post pics directly into a post. You can only post a link to a photo site, as yu did.

Show us a pic of the whole chair, front view and side view. Also, remove the seat cushion and show us a front, side and back view of the chair. I, for one, can't determine what all is going on, with the chair design, as per your previous 2 pics.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

James wrote:

sing may not allow it. Thanks, Jim

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/...done/chair.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/...one/chair1.jpg

Well it looks like I got it to work. Jim

You can't post pics directly into a post. You can only post a link
to a photo site, as yu did.

Show us a pic of the whole chair, front view and side view. Also,
remove the seat cushion and show us a front, side and back view of
the chair. I, for one, can't determine what all is going on, with
the chair design, as per your previous 2 pics.

Sonny

I'll try and get some more taken tomorrow.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Without analysing more (pics) of your chair, I suspect the armrests may have been cut off at the back, possibly after one broke. The backrest needs something for support.... I suspect, more so, than what your chair is showing.

Your chair may have had longer armrests, for supporting the backrest, as this chair:
http://antique-4-sale.com/images/mot...t---2380-3.jpg

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 7:56:55 PM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:
Without analysing more (pics) of your chair, I suspect the armrests may have been cut off at the back, possibly after one broke. The backrest needs something for support.... I suspect, more so, than what your chair is showing.

Your chair may have had longer armrests, for supporting the backrest, as this chair:
http://antique-4-sale.com/images/mot...t---2380-3.jpg

Sonny

Or better yet, take a look at this Morris adjustable chair:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Morris-Chair...-/252614907846

Google images for "Morris adjustable chair" and see if you can find one like yours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_chair

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/08/2016 9:14 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 7:56:55 PM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:
Without analysing more (pics) of your chair, I suspect the armrests may have been cut off at the back, possibly after one broke. The backrest needs something for support.... I suspect, more so, than what your chair is showing.

Your chair may have had longer armrests, for supporting the backrest, as this chair:
http://antique-4-sale.com/images/mot...t---2380-3.jpg

Sonny

Or better yet, take a look at this Morris adjustable chair:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Morris-Chair...-/252614907846

Google images for "Morris adjustable chair" and see if you can find one like yours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_chair

Sonny

This is similar to what I was going to suggest. However I was think a
little broader. Find a book on building furniture and see if you can
find the instructions for a similar chair.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Here's one. Check out the pics for details. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1622695...330&rmvSB=true

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

Here's one. Check out the pics for details.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1622695...330&rmvSB=true

Sonny

I posted some more pictures. It does look like a Morris chair. There
seems to be a spot where there were some hinges attached at the bottom.

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/...one/chair6.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/...one/chair5.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/...one/chair4.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/...one/chair3.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/...one/chair2.jpg

The last ebay link has some good pictures that will really help.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 10:19:50 AM UTC-6, James wrote:

There
seems to be a spot where there were some hinges attached at the bottom.

Here's a link/pic of a Morris chair hinge.... page down almost half way. There may be more than one type of hinge.

http://scarboroughmarshfurniture.com...%20chairs.html

Sonny