Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Progress on the new bed pproject

A few weeks ago I posted a picture of the drawing of the next king sized
bed with 18 drawer bottom storage.

Monday last week I bought materials to begin building and today this is
where I stand.

Here is the base that the mattress will lay on and house the 18 drawers.
Domino were used, 36 of them, to reinforce the walnut face frame
joints on each side.

From there a lot of screws for attaching the face frames to the divider
support panels, spacers, races, drawer race ways, toe kicks, and the 15
adjustable feet.

I hate to admit this but that was 304 screws and there will be a few
more. No wonder the thing is so heavy. ;~)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

And the drawer sides, fronts, and backs. 1/2" Baltic birch.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 12:56:45 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

A few weeks ago I posted a picture of the drawing of the next king sized
bed with 18 drawer bottom storage.

Monday last week I bought materials to begin building and today this is
where I stand.

Here is the base that the mattress will lay on and house the 18 drawers.
Domino were used, 36 of them, to reinforce the walnut face frame
joints on each side.

From there a lot of screws for attaching the face frames to the divider
support panels, spacers, races, drawer race ways, toe kicks, and the 15
adjustable feet.

I hate to admit this but that was 304 screws and there will be a few
more. No wonder the thing is so heavy. ;~)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

And the drawer sides, fronts, and backs. 1/2" Baltic birch.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

I counted 16 drawers? I am curious why you used screws instead of
Dado's for the FF.

I loved that walnut, has to be my favorite wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/7/2016 2:18 PM, OFWW wrote:
On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 12:56:45 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

A few weeks ago I posted a picture of the drawing of the next king sized
bed with 18 drawer bottom storage.

Monday last week I bought materials to begin building and today this is
where I stand.

Here is the base that the mattress will lay on and house the 18 drawers.
Domino were used, 36 of them, to reinforce the walnut face frame
joints on each side.

From there a lot of screws for attaching the face frames to the divider
support panels, spacers, races, drawer race ways, toe kicks, and the 15
adjustable feet.

I hate to admit this but that was 304 screws and there will be a few
more. No wonder the thing is so heavy. ;~)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

And the drawer sides, fronts, and backs. 1/2" Baltic birch.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

I counted 16 drawers?

18, 3 in each slot except the back 2 slots. End tables normally block
the openings closest to the head board. 6 of the drawers, centered
between the outer side drawers will be hidden. Good for seasonal items
that you don't use year round.

I am curious why you used screws instead of
Dado's for the FF.

I did use Domino's/floating tenons to assemble the walnut face frames.

The face frames attach to the face frames flush to the openings on the
first and second rows. I would end up with rabbits and dado's instead
of just dados, so not quite as strong as a dado. The face frames are
mostly decoration as there are 6 reinforcement strips to keep the wide
panels parallel and square to the floor. Well, the face frames do help
with that but with a load of screws elsewhere I felt that a few more to
attach the face frames would not hurt. No screws will show. This is the
fourth bed that I have built this way and the oldest, ours, is still
sound and does not squeek, 7 years later and having been moved 2 times.
;~) The innards are not elegant, because of the screws, but compared to
a water bed, where I got the inspiration, it could hold elephants.

I loved that walnut, has to be my favorite wood.

I love it too. It is relatively lite weight and softer that oak but
unfortunately more than double the price of oak and easy to ding
compared to oak.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/7/2016 3:02 PM, Leon wrote:

This is the fourth bed that I have built this way and the oldest, ours,
is still sound and does not squeek ...

Yabbut, this bed is for soon to be newlyweds, right?
LOL

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/7/2016 3:34 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 10/7/2016 3:02 PM, Leon wrote:

This is the fourth bed that I have built this way and the oldest, ours,
is still sound and does not squeek ...

Yabbut, this bed is for soon to be newlyweds, right?
LOL

This is pretty much what this comment meant. :~) Still testing!

the oldest, ours, is still sound and does not squeak, 7 years later and
having been moved 2 times. ;~)

Progress jon_banquer[_2_] Metalworking 1 July 27th 15 06:26 PM
Some more mill progress Ignoramus23708 Metalworking 3 August 25th 10 03:33 AM
Some more fun and progress Ignoramus28478 Metalworking 2 June 13th 10 03:19 AM
Progress report X 2 SteveB Metalworking 17 August 16th 08 06:59 AM
Bed progress Stoutman Woodworking 25 February 20th 07 04:09 PM